Thread: Using Remote Desktop Connection

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Using Remote Desktop Connection

I am trying to use Remote Desktop Connection with Windows XP Home. All the computers on the network have it. I want to know how to make your computer accept remote connections and how to connect to it. I can't seem to figure this out.

Malign Alumnus Guest

I believ it is used by knowing Ips and such a Bellsouth tech used it once here but I hate it cos its a security threat so I disabled it in Windows and the process responsible for it...damn Microsoft

how the hell did my post get before badneighbor's?

Thanks

you need to install it and set it up on all the other computers. its a barstard, but you should be able to work it out.

Thanks
    EP Points

How do you do that? I am using the program that came with Windows XP Home.

Thanks

if u have a router, u either have to open up port 3389 or just enable "dmz" which means u r outside ur router.

if u dont have a router, make sure u disable any firewalls or anything else that would block ports on ur computer(i.e: internet connection firewall which comes with windows xp home/pro and 2003 server)

if u have any other questions go here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/r...esktop/faq.asp

Thanks
    EP Points

I have a router and I am trying to use this program just within my network. I see why I can't get it to work. You have to have XP Pro to be able to have other computers access you.

Thanks

try this or seach on google for further help

How to Use the Remote Desktop Feature of Windows XP Professional
    The information in this article applies to: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

This article was previously published under Q315328
    SUMMARY
    This article describes how to configure the remote desktop feature in Windows XP. This feature allows remote control of your Windows XP Professional-based computer from another computer running Windows XP Professional or an earlier version of Windows.

MORE INFORMATION
    To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:

A remote computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Professional and is connected to the Internet or on a local area network (LAN).
    A local computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, or Microsoft Windows 95, with access to the Internet or the LAN.
    Appropriate user accounts and permissions configured on the remote Windows XP Professional to allow remote access.

How to Configure a Remote Desktop
    To configure a remote desktop connection between a remote Windows XP Professional-based computer and a local computer running one of the versions of Windows listed earlier in this article, follow these steps.

NOTE: If you have a router or a DSL modem with a router built in, click the appropriate link below for the procedure to forward TCP port 3389 for RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol). The procedure will be similar for other router models not listed. See manufacturer's documentation for the specific steps to follow.

VisionNet Modem
    Netopia Modem
    Linksys Router

Step 1: Configure the Remote Computer
    On the remote Windows XP Professional-based computer, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.
    On the shortcut menu that appears, click Properties.
    Click the Remote tab, and then click to select the Allow users to connect remotely to this computer check box.
    When you are prompted to confirm this change, click OK.
    Click Select Remote Users, and then click Add to specify additional user accounts to be granted remote access.

NOTE: Administrators are automatically granted remote access privileges.
    When you are finished adding user accounts, click OK. Make sure that the account that is being added does actually exist on the remote computer. If the account does not exist on the remote computer, create it.
    Click OK, and then click OK again.
    Step 2: Configure the Local Computer
    Configure the Remote Desktop feature on the Windows-based computer. To do this, follow these steps:

Insert the Windows XP compact disc (CD) into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive on the local computer.
    On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen that appears, click Perform additional tasks.
    Click Set up Remote Desktop Connection.
    Follow the steps of the Remote Desktop Connection InstallShield Wizard to install Remote Desktop Connection.

NOTE: If Remote Desktop Connection is already installed, you may receive the following error message:

Remote Desktop Connection cannot be installed because your operating system already has a built-in version. See More Programs\Accessories\Communications\Remote Desktop Connections on your start menu.
    NOTE: In addition, you can download the Remote Desktop Client from the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/p...rdclientdl.asp

Step 3: Connect to the Remote Computer
    To connect to the remote Windows XP Professional-based computer, follow these steps:

Log on to the local Windows-based computer.
    Make sure that you are connected to the Internet or to the LAN. If you require a dial-up connection to a virtual private network (VPN) or Remote Access server, connect to it.
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
    Click Options.
    In the Computer list, type the host name or the IP address of the computer to which you want to connect.
    Type the user name, password, and domain (if applicable) of an account to which you have allowed remote access into the corresponding boxes, and then click Connect.
    In the Log On to Windows dialog box that appears, type the password of the account with remote access privileges into the Password box .
    In the Log on to list, if applicable, select the domain or remote computer that you want, and then click OK.

The remote desktop is displayed in a window on the desktop. The remote Windows XP Professional-based computer is locked during this session.
    To disconnect the session, click the Close button in the session window, and then click OK when you are prompted to disconnect the Windows session.

NOTE: If the remote session is displayed in full-screen mode, you may be unable to see the Close button. In this case, restore the window from the remote session banner that is displayed at the top of the session window (click the Restore button).