Thread: Laptop "pen" mouse moving without me actually touching it

Thanks

Default Laptop "pen" mouse moving without me actually touching it

I dont know how to explain this well so I will do my best.

I have a Toshiba 1750 Satellite Laptop running WinXP (came with 98). It has a "pen" mouse, that is a mouse located between the keys G, H and B. Often times it just starts to move in a straight line across the scree, and im not touching it or the laptop. This is a pain because I have to move the mouse harder to get it to do anything. Plugging in a USB mouse doesnt fix the problem. Any body have any ideas?

Thanks
    EP Points

It almost sounds as if the thing isn't calibrated correctly. Look in the control panel and stuff and see if there is a way to recalibrate it like you can do with a joystick.

Thanks

I looked in there, it doesnt appear to be any way to recalibrate it. The odd thing is it does it about 1/3 of the time im using the computet, sometimes I can fix it by going into hybernate/standby and then coming back in.

Thanks

Odd.

Have you tried removing the little rubber cover and seeing if there is any dirt or anything wedged into the stick?

Thanks

No dirt or anything.

Is there anyway I can just disable the mouse? I dont mind using external mice.

I have gone and disabled then deleted the drivers for the pen mouse, and I can still use it.

Wish Lord Riff Raff was here.

Thanks

if you have one, try putting a PS2 mouse in there, that should fix it...i hope...

Thanks

Originally posted by Fett aka hmm
    I have gone and disabled then deleted the drivers for the pen mouse, and I can still use it.
    When you say Disabled did you mean the Control Panel or the BIOS. I know you are able to Disable the Tracking Point on the IBM ThinkPads so I imagine that you should be able to do the same on your laptop. Just a suggestion.

Thanks

Originally posted by Nemesis
    When you say Disabled did you mean the Control Panel or the BIOS. I know you are able to Disable the Tracking Point on the IBM ThinkPads so I imagine that you should be able to do the same on your laptop. Just a suggestion.

I did it with the control panel. How do I do it with the BIOS?

And the PS/2 mouse disables the pen mouse, but it still moves.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the BIOS settings on Toshiba laptops but I'm sure it should follow a similar setting to the IBM THINKPADS
    (I hope?????):

Find any Setting that allows you to look at the
    Keyboard/Mouse Settings on the IBMs it's
    Config
    There you should see the setting for the TrackPoint or "Pen" Mouse. More than likely that setting will be set to AutoDisable meaning that it will disable when a mouse is plugged in and enabled when a mouse is not.
    Just set it to Disabled to see if that fixes your problem.

Don't forget to save the changes to the BIOS after you change the settings.