Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any dialup-ers?

Thanks
    EP Points

Your position in the house seems to play a difference. My friend has dial up. The best he can get in his room is 28.8k, but his parents downstairs get like 53k which is the max.

Malign Alumnus Guest

i have dial up dsl...1.5 - 2.2 mbps....weird huh?

Mark Thompson Guest

How about being on AOL dial-up in the UK anyone? and it can be painful on filesharing programs especially like Emule. I've actually downloaded nearly 400 MB in one go on Emule on one file amongst other files which came at around the 100 MB each mark. Quite murderous but if you've got the patience of a saint then you might not give up.

Bittorrent makes it less tiresome and the biggest file in one go I've downloaded using this is 2 GB which took nearly 2-weeks I think because it was not really interrupted. I think there were 5-seeders and this is an interesting topic-starter I must say. I wonder if there's a world record and it is a time-consuming process, roll-on broadband for me.

Thanks.

Mark.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Before my ADSL connection I had 33.6k. I probably downloaded about 100MB worth of roms from Plasticman and Cherryroms, and played every one of them. Though that's a long time ago now. I donno how much I've downloaded since. I think my biggest downloads have been some 5GB torrents. I have ~250 full CDRs kicking around and I don't burn everything I get, so maybe I've downloaded 200+GB. I've probably uploaded more than that though
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

198mb on dialup which connecte at 40k of Final Fantasy Tactics...the ISO didn't work...

Thanks

Well im on dial up and the most dl speed i get is like 6kb/s, anyone get any better?
    Signature removed by Administrator. One picture per sig limit.<!--
    -->

Thanks

Originally posted by Themikemachine
    Well im on dial up and the most dl speed i get is like 6kb/s, anyone get any better?
    The best I get is 4kb/s stop complaining

Thanks

Read my previous post, then you'll think 6 KB/s or 4 is a like a super highway...

Thanks

Cool

Originally posted by Bad Neighbour
    Read my previous post, then you'll think 6 KB/s or 4 is a like a super highway...
    Oh man thats hilarious, you know that may be cuz of the pc, before I had a crappy laptop and it dl at about 2 kb/s but now that I got this super powerful computer it downloads at mostly 6 kb. Thats awesome for me. Check your pc specs

Thanks
    Blog Entries

ooh, 53k, hahahahaha, first internet i ever had was a 9 baud modem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks
    EP Points

The most I've downloaded on dialup was a 1.2GB file, can't place what it was though. It took around 6 days to download. The most I get on dialup is around 6Kb/s.

Thanks

The DHCP runs a Pentium 3 @ 500 MHz, but my 386 @ 40 MHz downloaded way quicker then the server. Its fucked up weird, but there is not alot i can do about it...

Thanks

Originally posted by Mark Thompson
    How about being on AOL dial-up in the UK anyone? and it can be painful on filesharing programs especially like Emule. I've actually downloaded nearly 400 MB in one go on Emule on one file amongst other files which came at around the 100 MB each mark. Quite murderous but if you've got the patience of a saint then you might not give up.

Bittorrent makes it less tiresome and the biggest file in one go I've downloaded using this is 2 GB which took nearly 2-weeks I think because it was not really interrupted. I think there were 5-seeders and this is an interesting topic-starter I must say. I wonder if there's a world record and it is a time-consuming process, roll-on broadband for me.

Thanks.

Mark.
    Heh, Mark! Dial up in the UK is a complete rip off.. I suggest you move to broadband ASAP.. Cheaper in comparison to the dial up charges you pay :/..

I need, I want, I care, I weep, I ache, I am. I said, I am.

Mark Thompson Guest

Hello NimaGraven

Well, I don't know about me being ripped off because I pay �13.00 per month on AOL dial-up as opposed to the �15.99 per month. They said I'm on their special price plan but I'd say the �15.99 month charge is a rip-off because Tiscali charges that amount for entry level broadband and btopenworld �20 per month for the 10 times faster when it's something like �27.99 per month on AOL for that.

I theorise AOL would justify that because they've got loads more content as they say in their adverts but I've been thinking of going on broadband. I was on btopenworld before now and they are even more a rip-off where dial-up is concerned being only allowed 150 hours for �15.99 per month whereas AOL is unlimited as well as others.

Thanks.

Mark.

Thanks
    EP Points

Heh, in the 3 years I've had dial-up, my total downloads would be around 4-5GB max The biggest file that I've downloaded, I think, would be around 30-40mb This is mainly coz the plans I was on charged a toll fee rather than a flat monthly fee, so I was limited to around 3 hours of net a day
    In the past year+ in which I've had ADSL (35kbs up/29kbps down), I've downloaded more than 100GB and the biggest file downloaded would have been around 7GB (took me around 3 days non-stop ). No wonder my harddrive is always full