View Poll Results: What is wrong?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Motherboard or components (memory, cpu, etc)

0 0%
  • Video Card

2 16.67%
  • HDD

0 0%
  • Software/Hardware Conflict

6 50.00%
  • Other

4 33.33%

Thread: Now Playing: What problem is it?

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

Default Now Playing: What problem is it?

Since it is always easier to ask than troubleshoot it yourself....
    Recently, my computer has been running terribly. Crashes every so often, hangs into oblivion rather, and inexplicably hogs memory at times. The only thing I can think of, that at least has a shred of reason, is my video card. A while back I asked for help on my graphics loop error. To this day I still have the problem. Despite doing various things. My hard drive is good, memory is brand new, motherboard is brand new, CPU is fine and the system is well ventilated. I have done the standard computer maintenance. So I ask, what may be the problem?
    Specs:
    P4 2.4 GHZ
    1024 GB DDR 4200
    64 MB Geforce 4 MX440
    80 GB SATA HDD
    WinXP Pro
    For whatever reasons there may be, I would appreciate a semi-detailed explanation. Some computer jargon won't damage me either

Thanks for the help
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks

Hm, if that slowdown is happening in Windows, I assume you have some un-wanted software on your computer, such as ad-ware or virus. Also, do you have file index service enabled? That one is just a bunch of memory and cpu stealer in Xp, which doesn't give you anything good.

Your hardware seems so good, that the problem isn't there. How about cpu overheating?
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

No viruses or adware, as I said, I ran all the standard maintenance My CPU isn't overheating and is running nice and cool. The entire system is ventilated well. There's intake fans in the front to get fresh air in, and outtakes in the back to get the hot air out. So heat isn't a problem My memory is leaked, it seems. There are no processes using it, but it just gets drained at times, usually before the computer hangs. I never had any of these problems before, and I have had plenty of problems The errors are random in a sense. One day, I was browsing some folders on my HDD and it lagged terribly. I felt I was on a 86 :\ I selected a file, it would take forever to give its information. A restart solved that problem though. My HDD is new and SATA so I don't think it is that. As I have ran diagnostics on it as well and everything checked out.
    Last edited by mushindo; 27th-April-2004 at 09:51.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

when was the last time you reformatted? cure-all for any potential software mishap you could have. once you take care of that, you can suss out if it was a software or hardware prob
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Does this happen right after boot or a while after boot (1hour+?). This happened to me too, 'cept it happened only after an hour os so after boot, I have pretty much the same specs as you 'cept for xp pro (have home) and hdd. A reformat fixed it but I still have to find out what caused XP to lag

Thanks
    Blog Entries

xp service pack 1 can really slow down a machine, if its intalled, that might be it
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks

I have reformated many times. I also never had these problems before. I am running the same things, service pack 1 and everything. Nothing new introduced. The graphics loop error crashes the computer once it logs on. It only happens at the first boot up after the computer has been shut down for a while. All the other errors happen at random.

Thanks
    EP Points

Does your computer reboot once it gets the loop error? If it does, goto system properties (right click MyComputer > properties) > Advanced tab > under startup and recovery click settings > under System failure make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked AND that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked. If you get an error message before it reboots, please post that