Thread: How to find superFX roms? (ZSNES)

Thanks

Default How to find superFX roms? (ZSNES)

I saw it on ZSNES documentation. It says it can now run superfx games. I really dont know what they really are (can someone enlighten me?). Im also looking for a place to dl them. Anyone know? THANKS

Thanks

star fox, yoshi island there are a few others.

Thanks

Star Fox/StarWing
    Dirt Racer FX (has some errors at the moment)
    Doom (needs a super computer to work great )
    Stunt Race FX
    Voxel (Voxel Landscape tech-demo)
    Vortex
    Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2)

and:

Starfox 2 - early beta (this one's a bit tricky to get to work, don't remember what's on it at all )
    Starfox 2 - beta (Has some all/free range areas + a two player battle mode)
    Starfox 2 - Final Beta (has the entire game, basicly 100% done, but it does not feature the multiplayer modes :-()

Think those should be all...
    Might be a game or two that've slipped through my fingers, but nope... Nah... don't think so.
    You're looking at old stuff!

Thanks

wtf. i ran that with no problems on a p200. of course, if u really wanna play doom you should just get the right wad files, the 3d models and jdoom for pc: looks like an all-new game when u do that.

Thanks

wtf. i ran that with no problems on a p200. of course, if u really wanna play doom you should just get the right wad files, the 3d models and jdoom for pc: looks like an all-new game when u do that.

also here's a complete list (stolen shamelessly from nintendoland)
    This invention from the people at Argonaut is a special chip that is implanted in a SNES cart, like the ones above and is called the Super FX chip. It was specialized to help the SNES to create 3D worlds made by shaded polygons and texture mapping and light source shading. The Super FX chip is a RISC type mathprocessor and a supplemental CPU to the real SNES CPU. With the FX chip in a game the SNES�s speed goes up from 3.58 Mhz to 10.5 Mhz. This is a truth with modifications though. The 'real' speed never exceded the SNES CPU's 3.58Mhz, but with the Super-FX certain difficult graphic calculations could be done faster.
    The FX-chip can also make ordinary 2D games better. It has been used in StarFox (StarWing) and Vortex (formerly known as Citadel) by Argonaut; a shoot 'em up where you can transform between being a walker, a boggie, a tank or a jetplane and Stunt Race FX (a.k.a. FX Trax and Wild Trax) a nice polygon racer made by Nintendo.

Cartridges with the Super FX chip has a number of additional pins at both sides of the original pins. But it still fits in the SNES's cartridde slot, but not in many NTSC to PAL converters and other such things.

The SuperFX2 chip Game cartrigde built in chip

The next Super FX chip are even faster 21.0 Mhz! The SFX2 consist of two chips each with a speed of 10.5Mhz that works together in tandem. Games that SFX2 has been used in (or supposed to be used in) are:

Transformers (never released) a game with the famous Transformers toys. By: Argonaut.
    FX Fighter (never released) a port of the PC game with the same name. By: Nintendo.
    Power Slide a dull looking racing game that were developed both for teh SNES, PC and 3DO. The game was supposed to be very realistic. By: Elite.
    Dirt Trax FX I know nothing about this game except that it�s by Electro Brain.
    Dirt Racer SFX Elite were so sure of the success of their first FX game Power Slide that they already during the production of Power slide started developing a sequel called Dirt Trax. This game was more like an off-road game with big Dune Buggies, 4x4 Monster Trucks or Off-Roaders for the player to control. The game also featrued an splitscreen option for 2 player races.
    Doom needs no further presentation I hope!!
    4x4 Racer a racing game from Elite. I�m not sure if this game ever existed or if it�s the same as Dirt Trax SFX!
    Comanche a conversion of the PC game with the same name. Sadly never released. By: Nintendo.
    Winter Gold an 3D Winter Olympics game.
    Super Mario World 2 needs no further explanation. By: Nintendo
    In Star Fox 2 (never released) the player wasn�t longer limited to fly on a "pre made" path they could fly in any direction that they wished. Fox now had six wingmen instead of three. Another new feature was the split screen mode. By: Nintendo.
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 a massive, almost arcade perfect, conversion. Some say it is even better looking than the Playstation version.

back to madcrow:
    vortex sounds really cool. sadly, it didn't work when i tried to play it on an emulator. also, winter gold looks nice.

in the end, i think that nintendo could have done very well if they had released a cd add-on which also included a superfx chip: the games that were made with it looked very nice, but building it into an add-on would have probably brought down costs, making more people use it. it certainly would have been better than the 32x.
    Last edited by madcrow; 16th-April-2004 at 15:14.

Thanks

The problem with building an add-on for the system is that you're going to alienate a certain percentage of your customers.

Not everyone will buy the add-on, thus developers would be hard pressed to develop for it, preferring to stick to the largest consumer base. (ie, those who own the original system)

Nintendo had an excellent idea with the SFX chips. Instead of making new hardware, why not build that hardware into the cartridge?

This way, developers can take advantge of the new tech, while still apealling to the masses. Plus, consumers wouldn't have to shell out more for the games, meaning that they are more likely to buy them.

Nintendo also used this this method in the orginal NES. (the "mappers" used in nearly all non first-generation games.)

Thanks

Oh thats just awesome. I was under the impresion that these games were arcade or sumthin like that. Now i know the truth. Thanks a lot. and where can I get doom? wana try it out
    Signature removed by Administrator. One picture per sig limit.<!--
    -->

Thanks

Normal version of Doom is no problem running, but running the Snes version of Doom in an emulator is a completely different experience!

The game runs at like 10-11 FPS on the Snes, pushing the SFX2 to the limit.

Emulation of the SFX and SFX2 is a bit dodgy, and therefor consumes lots of power, and as the Snes isn't capable of handling Doom at full power (as it auto-frameskips instead of slowing down) the emulation of it is even worse!

Running the normal/PC version of Doom only requires a 386 w/8mb ram.

Besides... that info you posted up there madcrow... it's old, unaccurate and very outdated...

Transformers - Never released.
    FX Fighter - Never released.
    Power Slide - Never released (as a SFX title atleast)
    Dirt Trax FX - Crappy Motorcycle game
    Dirt Racer SFX - Never released.
    Doom - SFX2 title, also accourding to various sources, featured multiplayer with the Xband modem.
    4x4 Racer - Same as Dirt Trax/Racer... They were all the same, just changed look/concept a couple of times if I remember correctly
    Comanche - Never released.
    Winter Gold - SFX
    Super Mario World 2 - SFX2
    Star Fox 2 - Nicely leaked in several forms... Multiplayer test/beta, a tech demo and ofcourse, the final version.
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 - not a SFX title at all, it uses the SDD-1, which is present in SFA/Z2 and Star Ocean
    back to madcrow:
    vortex sounds really cool. sadly, it didn't work when i tried to play it on an emulator. also, winter gold looks nice.

in the end, i think that nintendo could have done very well if they had released a cd add-on which also included a superfx chip: the games that were made with it looked very nice, but building it into an add-on would have probably brought down costs, making more people use it. it certainly would have been better than the 32x.
    The SnesCD was a product first started by Panasonic and Nintendo (or was it philips? I keep mixing those names)

Later on, Sony and Nintendo worked on it instead.

The CDs were placed in covers, sorta like floppies, these covers could include S-Ram chips, so memory cards and stuff wouldn't be necessary.

Later on, Sony and Nintendo split, the Snes CD got altered to a stand-alone system released by Sony, the Playstation.
    Unfortunatly for Sony, Sony left their third-party group "Creature Freak" up for grabs, Nintendo took them, Creature freak 6 months later released the now world known Pok�mon

"Some" games that was supposed to be released for the SnesCD was:

Secret of Mana (Got heavily slaughtered and released on a 16mbits cart)
    Castlevania - Rondo of Blood (Got released on the PCengine and got an "alternate" version on the Snes known as Dracula X and Vampire's Kiss)
    Nosferatu (Got released on cart, with all FMVs and stuff still there O_o)

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment...
    You're looking at old stuff!