Thread: Hard drive problem

Acme Guest

Default Hard drive problem

I have a problem with my hard drive. I have a 120 GB Western Digital hard drive and there is a problem with it. Sometimes my hard drive would run smoothly, but if I run something, sometimes the hard drive would make the loading sound over and over again and the computer would lag or freeze. And when I turn it off, sometimes my computer would not detect my hard drive and I would have to turn it off and on until it is detected. I had the hard drive for at least two years now and it is only now that the problem appeared. Did anything similiar ever happened to anyone here or know how to fix it? Could it be a registry problme because I ran a registry cleaner prior to the problem, but I don't know if that would affect it. I getting annoyed and I'm not sure what to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

PS2_Master0 Guest

same thing i think with my comp...

I dont know what type, but i am usin a 40GB IDE drive, and to load it i have to do the following steps:

1. Hit power button
    2. I have set computer to try and auto-detect my HD. It does so, but it is NOT DETECTED
    3. Allow computer to scan for a boot record in CD-ROM and FLOPPY drives
    4. Allow computer to repeat the above step
    5. Restart computer, this time it detects on step 2

If that is the same thing, then I would at least tell the initial setup to try and AUTO-DETECT the drive. That may help...

Basically when u are starting up hit F1, or Delete, whatever runs setup....

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

If it is a hard drive error and not bios or anything else, then you can go to http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp and get some diagnostic software to check out your hard drive
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

jack100 Guest

I had the same probhlem, the thing is that my hard drive was REALLY close to dying, and it did. I suggest you back everything up and buy a new hard drive, cause that one is going to die.

Thanks

Just to be sure, check all the cables and whatnot in your computer. if they all seem to be fine, then i suggest you back everything up that you need and prepare for that hard drive to die a horrible death. sorry to be blunt, but im pretty sure thats whats gonna happen...

Acme Guest

Dammit...I didn't even have this hard drive for very long. Are you sure it's going to die cause I'm able to use it fine sometimes like right now, but it will randomly just start loading eventually. I never had a hard drive die on me before so I don't know if this is one of the dying phases. I guess this is an excuse to get a bigger hard drive.

Thanks

it might just need a good low level format, and a tap on it to free up the arms in it, but we are just suggesting worst case.
    Back up, and do a low level format. if that doesn't work, take the hard drive and tap it GENTLY on the top. plug it back in, sacrifice a chicken your computer gods, and hope to christ it works!!