Thread: Question about modding your PS2

Thanks

Question Question about modding your PS2

I remember modding my PS1 and it always messed up somehow (I had to solder it in).

So I have a some questions about modding your PS2.

1. How risky is it to install a mod chip in your PS2?

2. Do I have to do it myself or are there others that can do it for me?

3. Where can I get/install them?

4. If I play online games like SOCOM II, will I ever be able to go online with it with a mod chip installed?

5. Do most of the games you download/trade (the ISO's) work? For example, if I was to download a PS2 game like Contra: Shattered Soldier and burn it on Nero, will it have a lot of errors or work like burned Dreamcast games?

6. How long will the mod chip inside my PS2 work?

7. How much will it cost for everything?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Re: Question about modding your PS2

Originally posted by C-Link

1. How risky is it to install a mod chip in your PS2?

If you know what your doing, not really

2. Do I have to do it myself or are there others that can do it for me?
    You can do it yourself, or others can do it for you (if you anyone that can)

3. Where can I get/install them?
    From www.modchips.com or www.modchipstore.com

4. If I play online games like SOCOM II, will I ever be able to go online with it with a mod chip installed?
    Not quite sure there

5. Do most of the games you download/trade (the ISO's) work? For example, if I was to download a PS2 game like Contra: Shattered Soldier and burn it on Nero, will it have a lot of errors or work like burned Dreamcast games?
    Yea they work, if you get a decent copy

6. How long will the mod chip inside my PS2 work?
    I tihnk that depends on the brand of the chip

7. How much will it cost for everything?
    It'll work out cheaper in the long run if you get 1

Just go to them sites, cos the price varys depending on the chip you want, and try searching on google for more sites
    Last edited by Deach; 3rd-April-2004 at 02:41.

Thanks

Default Re: Re: Question about modding your PS2

Thanks for answering my questions, appreciate it. I have a few more...

Originally posted by crusher sucks!
    If you know what your doing, not really
    I have no clue on how to install a mod chip... My PS1 was first soldered in by a friend, then it messed up 5 minutes later. After that, I too it to a store and they modded it, it worked, but now that store got shut down 2 years ago because they went bankrupt. So basically, I suck at modding consoles.

You can do it yourself, or others can do it for you (if you anyone that can)
    So can I sent it to one of those sites and they charge extra to install them for me?

I went to the second site, the first is out of business. What do you think about this one:

http://www.modchipstore.com/Magic_31...2_p_16146.html

EDIT - Link don't work... Search for Magic 3.1 in the search bar, you'll find it.

Yea they work, if you get a decent copy
    So once I get a soldered installed modchip, the moment I insert a back-up CD or DVD burned copy, I can play without having to swap, boot disk, etc...?

I tihnk that depends on the brand of the chip
    In your opinion, or anyone else's opinion, what's the best brand for modchip?

It'll work out cheaper in the long run if you get 1
    Yeah.

Just go to them sites, cos the price varys depending on the chip you want, and try searching on google for more sites [/B]
    Thanks a lot man, I just want the best one and I want to hear what people who have their PS2 modded have to say. I don't want this to turn out like my 3 other PS1's. LOL, this will make a good Q and A Faq.
    Last edited by C-Link; 3rd-April-2004 at 03:10.

Thanks

Well, if you are after extra features, go for a chip like the Matrix MXL, Ripper or DMS 3.
    But if you are after good old fashioned stability, go for the messiah.

As for the online option, the ps2 will probably (if my sources are correct) reject your ability to play online. However, with the Messiah 2, there is a "Turn-Off" option, meaning you can play original online games, online, but not burned copies, this would just not work.

I would recommend, as you say you suck, you get someone else to do it for you, as it is extremley dangerous, and can break your ps2 in several different places with just one tiny drop of solder.

Whereas, you have a better chance of the ps2 coming out great if you get a professional to do it.

The messiah also boots the media automatically, you just have to change the mode.

For example, the default mode for the chip is Ps2 Games.
    so it will auto-boot ps2 games.
    You just need to change the mode, like if you want to play DVD/PS1, you just need to hold Reset for 2-3 seconds to change it's mode.
    Then it will boot those, and so on.

It will play almost anything burned, just make sure you use good quality media.

If you have any more questions, dont hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Originally posted by Georgyw5k
    Well, if you are after extra features, go for a chip like the Matrix MXL, Ripper or DMS 3.
    But if you are after good old fashioned stability, go for the messiah.

As for the online option, the ps2 will probably (if my sources are correct) reject your ability to play online. However, with the Messiah 2, there is a "Turn-Off" option, meaning you can play original online games, online, but not burned copies, this would just not work.

I would recommend, as you say you suck, you get someone else to do it for you, as it is extremley dangerous, and can break your ps2 in several different places with just one tiny drop of solder.

Whereas, you have a better chance of the ps2 coming out great if you get a professional to do it.

The messiah also boots the media automatically, you just have to change the mode.

For example, the default mode for the chip is Ps2 Games.
    so it will auto-boot ps2 games.
    You just need to change the mode, like if you want to play DVD/PS1, you just need to hold Reset for 2-3 seconds to change it's mode.
    Then it will boot those, and so on.

It will play almost anything burned, just make sure you use good quality media.

If you have any more questions, dont hesitate to contact me.
    Thanks man, I sent you a PM.

Also, for anyone whose had a PS2 modchip installed in their PS2, has it ever messed up or is it still working properly?

Thanks

Well I'm think about getting a swap disk or a Official Magic V ModChip at www.modchipstore.com. Do you think if I asked a computer store (not like gateway) to install the modchip they would do it because I'll mess something up. I think you could do that I heard they were talking about modchips on the screensavers once.
    [

Thanks
    EP Points

They talk about modchips on the screensavers. Last summer they had a week long segment on how to mod an xbox and what all you can do. They also did a short one over the PS2 and showed stuff like Reality Media player and how to burn games. Why don't you call in and ask Patrick, Kevin, and Leo about it?

Thanks

Originally posted by dhav211
    Well I'm think about getting a swap disk or a Official Magic V ModChip at www.modchipstore.com. Do you think if I asked a computer store (not like gateway) to install the modchip they would do it because I'll mess something up. I think you could do that I heard they were talking about modchips on the screensavers once.
    After asking some people, it seems Messiah is the best PS2 modchip out there. I decided to get a Messiah, but the main problem is where can I get the mod chip and install it in America? I don't want to send it out of the states, I need a professional and trustworthy company to do it for me. Also, what if they mess up and pre-solder it or what if my PS2 messes up in a couple days?

Thanks

If the company are half decent, they will offer you a 30 day chipping guarantee. Mine did, and it hasnt failed yet, after about 5 months.
    There is a site, i forgot, that lists all modchippers in certain areas, that might help. Ill ask around.

Thanks

Just out of curiousity, how many of you live in the US and have a Messiah installed in your PS2?

Seems like everyone who has one installed lives in the UK.

Thanks
    EP Points

I know that one of the members that used to come here will install and sell modchips. His website is www.pacificmods.com

Thanks

This is wierd. My Model # is SCPH-30001, and my serial number starts with a "K" instead of a "U". Do I have a version 4 or what? I have 8 screws on the bottom, not 10.

The first variables on my serial number are "K0".

Thanks

I got a Messiah chip installed it works great. Ive allmost had it installed for close to 2 years and it hasnt failed me yet.