Thread: USB Card Reader

Thanks

Default USB Card Reader

With WinXP, when you plug in a new USB device, Windows should detect the new hardware and begin searching for and installing the drivers for it. Well, when I plug the device in, it says 'New Hardware Found' in the lower right corner by the tray, but never proceeds to install the drivers for it. The CPU utilization goes all the way up and everything just freezes. I have to power down my computer and turn it back on to get anything working again. Any suggestions on how to get it working?

Note: The device is a Kodak 6-in-1 USB Card Reader for use with different cards such as CompactFlash, SmartMedia, MultimediaCard, SD, Memory Stick, and Microdive cards.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Re: USB Card Reader

Originally posted by Septic
    With WinXP, when you plug in a new USB device, Windows should detect the new hardware and begin searching for and installing the drivers for it. Well, when I plug the device in, it says 'New Hardware Found' in the lower right corner by the tray, but never proceeds to install the drivers for it. The CPU utilization goes all the way up and everything just freezes. I have to power down my computer and turn it back on to get anything working again. Any suggestions on how to get it working?

Note: The device is a Kodak 6-in-1 USB Card Reader for use with different cards such as CompactFlash, SmartMedia, MultimediaCard, SD, Memory Stick, and Microdive cards.
    I would go to the Kodak website and download the drivers for your model number. Even though XP does all the driver maintenance for you, you still need to have the drivers provided with the USB card reader; because after installing them, XP will most likely treat the reader as removeable media in My Computer (as a drive) and will update the contents of the 'drive' just as it does the CD/DVD drives.

Thanks

Well, I checked Kodak's website and couldn't find any drivers for the reader. The closest thing I could find was a page showing the product. I know that the drivers should be included on the CD that came with the product. However, when I run setup.exe on the CD, it installs some software, but not the drivers for the reader. If it worked like it was supposed to, then I should just be able to plug the reader into the USB slot, and WinXP should begin the installation process for the drivers. I would point to the CD for the drivers and it would install them. However, like I said before, the computer just freezes after plugging in the reader. Are there any ways around this, where I can somehow install the drivers from the CD first without plugging in the reader, so that when I do plug in the reader, the drivers are already installed and WinXP doesn't have to automatically start the installation process, which seems to be where it all freezes.

Thanks
    EP Points

Try this:

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=122085

-cut-

Model
    6-in-1 card reader
    Manufacturer
    Kodak
    Device Type
    Removable Drives
    Operating Systems
    All Windows 2000
    File Name
    KodakMCR.exe
    File Size
    2.3 MB
    5 minutes 25 seconds @56kbps
    23 seconds @broadband
    Uploader Notes
    install this software, then unplug it and plug it in again, when it picks up it should see it as a generic volume

Thanks

Actually, I stumbled onto that site a little earlier, but didn't think it would work since it says I have to plug the device in first before running it and the computer always acts up right after plugging the device in. Anyways, I tried it without any success. It said something about not needing to be installed with Windows XP for some reason. I tried using the card reader on another computer, and even though I didn't have the same exact problems, I still had similar problems with it being very unstable. I'm probably just going to return it and get another card reader. Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    EP Points

No problem

Good luck

Thanks

Well, I just purchased another card reader ( SanDisk 8-in-1 Card Reader ) and encountered the exact same problems I had with the last one. This shows that it wasn't problems with the card reader that was preventing it from working, but either the Operating System or just a hardware problem. I tried the SanDisk card reader that I just purchased on another computer and found it to work just fine, without any stability problems like I had with the Kodak card reader. Any more ideas on what could possibly be causing this?

Thanks
    EP Points

It must be your OS. There is something causing it to not install the drivers right. I would recommend updating your virus program, running a full disk scan, running Spybot Search and Destroy, and running Adaware. That should clean your computer of any garbage on it. Then you could try installing it again.