Thread: Graphics Card Loop Error

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

Default Graphics Card Loop Error

Ok well, here is the problem. I have that nifty graphics infinite loop error. I attained this after I upgraded my memory and motherboard. The card doesn't share any IRQs and it is installed firmly and properly. I also have updated my driver, roll backed the driver. This problem is unique since it only happens once per fresh boot. When the computer has been shut down for a while it will crash upon loading up windows. After that one crash it won't crash anymore until the computer is shut down for 30 mins or longer. Since it happens perfectly every time, I know there has to be some specific conflict and after the computer crashes it is temporarily resolved until shutdown when it reverts back. Here is the official error message:

The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your display device vendor for any driver updates.

I have searched and searched everywhere for this specific problem and keep finding the same stuff. None of which solves my problem. Hopefully a girl around here can get a little more help than she did last time

Here's my specs:
    P4 2.4GHZ
    M952 PC800 mobo w/ VIA PT800 & VIA 8237 chipsets
    1 GB DDR400
    DVD+ RW & CD-RW drives
    Maxtor SATA 250GB HDD
    Geforce 4 MX440 64MB
    Win XP Pro

I plan on upgrading my graphics card once the new line of Nvidias and ATIs roll out, but that won't be happening for a little bit so I would love to have this problem solved. Thanks for everyone who bothered reading this

Thanks
    EP Points

You might be having some EMI interference on fresh boot up. It happens with some hardware chips which resonate due to increasing silicon temperature. Maybe you should try setting up Spread Spectrum Modulation, it's an option in your BIOS (possibly..) try setting to to 0.25% or 0.50%. That might fix the problem.
    There are some other things you could try, maybe your RAM latency is set too low, set it to CL 2.5 and see if that helps. (This too, is in the BIOS).
    The fact that it happens only once on a fresh boot limits the possibilities involved. There could also be some problem with your BIOS. Tell me one thing, you put the computer on, it hangs, then do you press the reset button or do you put it off again and then put it on ? Thats an important detail

Thanks

The RAM latency is all ready set at 2.5. As for the spread spectrum modulation, it only allows me to enable it. I checked all of my cmos settings before the crash and after. No settings were changed but everything works after the crash. Also, the crash occurs when XP is all ready loaded and the background programs are loaded. It then hangs and reboots itself. I just let it do its business on its own. Occasionally it will load everything fine and works fine until i use a graphics application such as a game or ZSNES. It hasn't been doing this lately tho as it just gets to the point and crashes. Thanks for the help

Thanks
    EP Points

Has it always been happening or only recently ?

Thanks

It happened once I replaced my old motherboard that got fried. The only real difference between the two is that the new board is AGP 8x compatibile. The motherboard uses the same chipsets and such. If i would receive different errors and random ones i would think the card is damaged, but the error is constant and goes away after the initial crash, thus the conundrum
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks

the video card wont share resources, so maybe something else in you comp is using the resources the vidoe card wants... start it up in safe mode, and see if you can check the standard resource settings. if not, then there is a fail safe way, go through the comp and disable one device for every reboot. its slow and tedious, but you might be able to find the problem. and a nother thing, (shoulda asked this before) does this motherboard have intergrated graphics?

Thanks

nothing is being shared, all IRQs are free as well.

Thanks

oh, and nope, no integrated graphics

Thanks

Go to safe mode
    Go to Start-> control panel -> administrative tools -> Event viewer
    look at each subsection to see what programs are crashing on you. Report back, if you get the same error while in safemode then we can narrow down the problem to it being most likely hardware issue, instead of driver issue.

Also what is the error code number you get? If your computer is just rebooting itself then you need to set your computer to not reboot when system's crash happens

Start-> control panel -> System -> advance ->Startup and Recovery -> untick automatically restart

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

Thanks

Originally posted by grantu2
    Go to safe mode
    Go to Start-> control panel -> administrative tools -> Event viewer
    look at each subsection to see what programs are crashing on you. Report back, if you get the same error while in safemode then we can narrow down the problem to it being most likely hardware issue, instead of driver issue.

Also what is the error code number you get? If your computer is just rebooting itself then you need to set your computer to not reboot when system's crash happens

Start-> control panel -> System -> advance ->Startup and Recovery -> untick automatically restart
    After taking a look in the event viewer and seeing a sea of errors and warnings, i decided it was a little overwhelming to tackle right now, so I will live with the problem a little longer lol. Thanks for the help