Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What systems can you play copied cds on without modchip,bootcd or swaptricks?

Thanks

Default What systems can you play copied cds on without modchip,bootcd or swaptricks?

What systems can you play copied games on by just simply putting the cd in and playing like the original? I have heard that you can do that with the sega cd and dreamcast if you can even on the dreamcast then it seems like you probably could be able to with the saturn as well. What about a panasonic 3do system or Atari Jaguar cd or others that I can't think of right now because I am way too sleepy.
    To appreciate heaven well, you must first experience hell.

I'm not afraid to get shot in the head and die, I'm afraid to get shot in the head and live.

Thanks
    EP Points

Definately the Dreamcast. Not sure on the other systems, as I have none of them...

Thanks

Cool thanks I thought you could with the Dreamcast because I knew you could play Nes games on it with an emulator without any trouble or modchip etc. So will Dreamcast games fit on regular cdrs and work in a dreamcast like the original?

I'm not afraid to get shot in the head and die, I'm afraid to get shot in the head and live.

Thanks

Originally posted by Sprung
    Definately the Dreamcast. Not sure on the other systems, as I have none of them...
    co basically what u'r saying is that u can download,burn games and play them on an unmodded DC? Hell i'd better get one they are really cheap these days

IfritRoms.com - Click the banner above!

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks

sega cd (i think)
    pc engine cd/ tg16 cd (almost certain)

Thanks

I was looking around emule and found a ps2 swap magic cd loader and another boot disc. I doubt that things real. How could that burnt disc read without a chip.
    [

Thanks

Originally posted by dhav211
    I was looking around emule and found a ps2 swap magic cd loader and another boot disc. I doubt that things real. How could that burnt disc read without a chip.
    well actually the ps2-DVD can read burnt discs from the start. U see, modchips are just reflashable bioses that u put on the real one and tjat u flash so that the copy-protection gets bypassed. Thats why u for example can play burnt games usin the swap-trick both on PS and PS2 (However i've never suceeded with this... ) Anyway, hope i cleared some things out for u

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks

So if you have a image of a psx boot cd and you burn it then would it still work even though it is burnt?

Thanks

Originally posted by gamefreak777
    So if you have a image of a psx boot cd and you burn it then would it still work even though it is burnt?
    no, and ill tell u why:

The copy protection that Sony uses is very simple, yet impossible to crack. The copy protection in short terms: All discs have "boot sectors" the boot have their own checksum. (Checksum is a way of counting all codes in the file , so u can for example check if someone has altered with a file) Original black-bottomed PSX discs have null as checksum (000000) Theoretically, this is impossible since these sectors contains data. When you burn/copy a psx disc, your CD-burner automatically adds a checksum. ALL CD writers do this automatically. So basically if u could find one that didnt auto-repaired the checksum u could copy psx games and burn them onto a disc and play in an unmodded PS. NOTE: These writers are NOT available to end-users like us.

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

Saturn - Modchip or an Action Replay card

Dreamcast - Older models may not need a boot disc or gameshark, but the newer ones, the ones that can't play gameshark require a mod. Also, if the game isn't self bootable then a boot disc is needed. Last I knew at least

Playstation/PS2 - swap/knife trick. Neither are suggested. Gameshark/action replay plus 5-10 dollar external mod. internal mod. Fairly certain that other than the swap/knife trick, a mod chip is needed.

N64 - To play japanese games just cut out to the little squares in the cart slot that is on each side. Dremel tool works best.

AS for the rest of the systems, I dunno, but am curious

Thanks

Originally posted by mushindo

Saturn - Modchip or an Action Replay card

Dreamcast - Older models may not need a boot disc or gameshark, but the newer ones, the ones that can't play gameshark require a mod. Also, if the game isn't self bootable then a boot disc is needed. Last I knew at least

Playstation/PS2 - swap/knife trick. Neither are suggested. Gameshark/action replay plus 5-10 dollar external mod. internal mod. Fairly certain that other than the swap/knife trick, a mod chip is needed.

N64 - To play japanese games just cut out to the little squares in the cart slot that is on each side. Dremel tool works best.

AS for the rest of the systems, I dunno, but am curious

and where can one find on of 'em bootdiscs for DC?

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

I think dcemulation.com offers a dl. The file is extremely small. Only takes up a tiny sliver on the cd. The best known one is Utopia, I think.
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks

Most DC Games are selfbooting these days anyhow.

Thanks

you don't need mods for dc's, but you have to make the game cd in a specific way, make it self-bootable so that the system recogize it.

if you copy a raw dc game, extract it from the original, it will never fit in a regual cd(700 mb). how do you fit it all in, easy you need a special compression software or conversion software that compresses or converts the original files so that you can copy it to a regular cd.

the other systems that don't require to use mods are:
    sega cd
    turbo cd
    3D0
    i think neo-geo cd, jaguar cd and nec-fx (something like that).

swap tricks ps1 are good in which they are cheap and doesn't allow you to modify your system so you don't void your warranty. however, their not as good as modding your system. for instance, if you have a game that has 2 or more cd's, it's impossible to work if you use the swap trick. why, because you will need the first disc to get to the main menu to load the game and then load the 2nd cd if you have save games in the 2nd cd. but when you open the lid and place in the 2nd cd, the system will have to do another cd check before loading the game. which makes it impossible to load to the 2nd cd unless you have a modded ps1. one example where this would happen is from the game driver 2 for ps1.

i used one of those game enhancers like pro action replay devices. what you do is, load any original ps1 game into the system when turning on the system, once it stops, you put the backup game that you want to play and then press start to start the game. if you want to play a different game, you would have to follow that process again. again, this process is only for playing 1 disc games only, unless the multi-disc game doesn't load save stats from the first disc.

az_bont Guest

It's possible to make a non-selfbooting Dreamcast game self-bootable. A little work is required, but it's fairly straightfoward providing you know how to work the command line.

And as for later models - modchips can't enable them to play backups, onlt imports .

There's a newer version of the boot disc available at DCEmu's sister site, DC Homebrew. Be aware that the methods described for making self-booting discs will not work for commercial games, and we don't allow backup talk on the forums either.

And I would certainly reccomend the slide card method of playing backups. It's the cheapest way to pay backups on a PS2 (free if you use the memory card exploit), doesn't invalidate your warranty, and you don't have to trust somebody to solder more than 20 wires to your console.