Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any of you ever got this msg from your internet provider?

Thanks

Thumbs up Any of you ever got this msg from your internet provider?

The following msg below is what I got recently LOL....first time

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear XXXXXXX XXXX,
    An important message from Rogers Hi-Speed Internet

We would like to advise you that there has been excessive usage on your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet account which is in violation of our end user agreement with you and in particular, your agreement not to use the service in a way that creates an unusually large burden on our network.

Rogers has a responsibility to ensure that all of its customers experience a high quality of service and performance when using Rogers Hi-Speed Internet. Your usage consumes a disproportionate share of our network's resources which has a negative impact on network performance. In fact, you fall within the category of less than 1% of our residential customers whose usage exceeds that of the average customer by well over 2000%.

Please be advised that it is important that your account's usage returns to reasonable levels. Unfortunately, unless your usage pattern significantly changes starting in the next two days, we will have no choice but to suspend your Internet account for a period of seven days.

The following activities may be increasing your usage: Engaging in peer-to-peer file sharing; Running servers; or Installing shareware that compromises your computer's security. In addition to addressing the above activities, here are some guidelines that may assist you with managing your usage of our Internet service: Make all users of your account aware of the content of this e-mail and consider the extent of their usage; Install virus protection software and regularly scan your PC(s) to ensure that you have downloaded the most recent versions of such software; and Familiarize yourself with all provisions of our agreement with you (particularly prohibited uses of Rogers Hi-Speed Internet). A copy of the End User Agreement can be found at http://www.rogershelp.com/help/conte...d/rh_policies/
    If you would like more information on servers, peer to peer applications, and other important information on managing your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet connection, please review the information below.

Thank you for your attention.
    Rogers Hi-Speed Internet
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b*tch-slap the f**ker upside the head...

<a href="http://207.44.214.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11884&perpage=15&pagenu mber=10">Trade List</a>

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm, not yet, and I'm hoping my bandwidth limit is set very, very high, because with my new harddisk, the sky is unfortunately the limit

Thanks

Man, I didn't know there was a limit of internet using,yea yeah, I'm a n00b, but really, I didn't.

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by ((X ZreX))
    Man, I didn't know there was a limit of internet using,yea yeah, I'm a n00b, but really, I didn't.
    Umm, it does depend on your ISP though I don't think all services put a limit on it, just some...

Thanks

I'm so happy that i have Bresnan cable internet. No limits there.

Thanks

LOL, to be honest I never knew there was a limit until I received that email. I'm switching my ip right now lol...IP hoping see if that would help LOL
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b*tch-slap the f**ker upside the head...

<a href="http://207.44.214.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11884&perpage=15&pagenu mber=10">Trade List</a>

Thanks
    EP Points

I keep wondering if I will ever get a letter like that anytime. I have Charter Pipeline. I might want to go check what my bandwith limit is now.

Thanks

Originally posted by Harmony
    Umm, it does depend on your ISP though I don't think all services put a limit on it, just some...

Ohhhh, ok, I get it now, thnx! And if there's a limit, it does suck, sorry man.

Thanks
    EP Points

There is always a limit - I doubt anyone could tell me a proper 24/7 totally unlimited bandwith service.

Most ISPs will use the model that if your download is higher when compared with a sample of other users they will reserve the right to warn you. Bandwith is a near infinite commodity for an ISP but it costs money to buy it.

Worth mentioning is ISPs care much more about people uploading data than they do downloading.

Just keep it reasonable and you'll be fine - you'll nearly always receive fair warning should you be exceeding the 'unwritten' limits.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, I have a proper 24/7 limitless bandwidth service. I have my FTP set up, I download shit all the time, and I've yet to hear a word about it from Cox, my ISP. *shrugs*

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I have a proper 24/7 limitless bandwidth service
    There is no such thing. They advertise it as 'Unlimited' which basically means unlimited in so far as you can be connected 24/7

http://support.cox.net/custsup/safety/bytecapfaq.shtml

I will repeat - there is NO such thing as an unlimited bandwith Internet package - well that is unless you are willing to pay 'unlimited' money too.

http://www.cox.com/INETIncludes/policy/limitations.asp

*shrugs*
    Last edited by Del_Boy; 12th-February-2004 at 03:03.

Thanks

Unlimited usually means 'subject to a fair usage policy', which is bullshit and effectively misleading advertisment. However, for some idiotic reason, its not actually deemed illegal to state 'unlimited' as long as the limits are clearly stipulated in the Terms & Conditions, which I still find to be grossly unfair given the definition of the word 'unlimited'.

Its like all that furore surrounding BT's crass labelling of its service as AnyTime, despite the fact that you couldnt use it as such, seeing as they disconnect you after 2 hours - fair usage, eh?

Absolute bollocks.
    Touch my twat.

Sticking in the back of some guy named Randy
    Thanks

Huh, If my ISP sent me a message like that I would switch as a matter of principle.
    Internet is very important at the moment. I can't afford to be suspended for a week.
    (As well as internet being good for entertainment)
    I am in no way responsible for the above post. It was my hand's fault. Bad hand.
    ---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Thanks
    EP Points

Unlimited refers to 'without limits' - the ISP will defend itself by saying you can log on anytime 24/7.

BT Anytime had the same defence basically saying it wasn't intended to be an always on service. Of course the ISPs don't play it the totally honest way - but who can blame them really.

If they stipulated clear limits when you signed up, you'd find newbies would prefer to sign up for those who were still touting the 'unlimited' half truth.

Edit//

Most ISPs, Cox included also forbid the usage of FTPs unless by express permission. Of course this only really matters if you're going to leave it as a pub.
    Last edited by Del_Boy; 12th-February-2004 at 03:01.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have always pondered on this question. How does bandwith cost them money?