Thread: Help! I have no idea how to work cat 5e crossover cable

Zeek Guest

Default Help! I have no idea how to work cat 5e crossover cable

Hello, I need some help, I'm trying to transfer some files over from my fianc�s computer to mine. I was told by a friend that a simple cat 5 cable would do the trick. So I went down and bought myself one. Only problem... I have no idea how to set it up. I've never set up a network in my entire life and the network wizard doesn�t work. It goes through all the steps than... Nothing. Anything would be appreciated, faqs, websites or personal insights.

Both Computers are running XP home.

Thanks
    Last edited by Zeek; 5th-February-2004 at 04:15.

Thanks
    EP Points

If you ran the XP wizard on both computers, youre probably set up right. You do need to enable sharing on the computer storing the files. Right click the drive or folder you want to share, select SHARING and set to shared. you can add a password too, if you desire.

Zeek Guest

hmm, I ran the network wizard again, same result. Also I made sure of the folders.

Is there a networking faq for dummies anyone knows about it would be a great help?

I've never set up a network before and perhaps it's a simple thing i'm missing. ah well, back to searching.

Thanks
    EP Points

This one looks like it might help you.

http://www.razertech.com/edge/hardwa.../crossover.htm

Thanks
    EP Points

There was a similar problem on my computer you know, I tried using a CAT5 to transfer files but it wouldn't work. Ultimately, I setup a connection and in linux and it worked....
    But one word of advice, forget the CAT5 as far as large files are concerned because it is REALLY slow, and by really slow I mean like 56k speeds... lol. A Lan Card is the way to go when you want to do this or just get your fiance's hard drive and put it into your PC and transfer the stuff, Cat5 is the worst way to do it...

Thanks
    EP Points

dont you need a network card to use cat 5 cables?

I dont really know, could anyone give some ways to set up a LAN? especially ones involving cables and an Ethernet switch.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wouldn't you specifically need Cat 5 Crossover cable and not just standard Cat 5? Not 100% sure on that - Networking is most definately not my forte.

Thanks

Originally posted by MasJ
    There was a similar problem on my computer you know, I tried using a CAT5 to transfer files but it wouldn't work. Ultimately, I setup a connection and in linux and it worked....
    But one word of advice, forget the CAT5 as far as large files are concerned because it is REALLY slow, and by really slow I mean like 56k speeds... lol. A Lan Card is the way to go when you want to do this or just get your fiance's hard drive and put it into your PC and transfer the stuff, Cat5 is the worst way to do it...
    It might work with Linux and not Windows because Windows does not use any standards. You know how Windows is, monopoly and all.

Thanks

Okay time to clear some stuff up. CAT 5 is a standard for speed. Can't remember the max speed off the top of my head but it's certified for 100mb/s for at least 100 metres.

When you go buy the cable you WILL need to ask for crossover cable as the wiring is different.

Now for a very simple guide to set up a network (assuming you have XP).

Plug in the crossover cable to both computers.
    My Computer , C , Properties , Sharing.
    (You may have to then click an I agree think for this next bit as it would be stupid on any large network or if your not using NTFS).
    Check: Share this folder on the network.
    Sharename: CompnameCDrive (Needs to be unique keep under 8 char if possible if will ever have 9X machines on the network).
    Check: Allow network users to change my files.

Open the System Properties
    Computer Name
    CHANGE:
    Computername: (Fred , etc try to keep to 12 char or something).
    Workgroup: WORKGROUP

^Repeat on both computers.

Reboot both computers.
    Open My Network Places.
    Click Entire Network. Keep clicking until you find your computer and the other one.

Thanks

That was not my point. My point was that some Windows PCs does not use network connection standards, and that Microsoft are idiots.
    Last edited by Iddi; 5th-February-2004 at 20:03.

Thanks

Computer Name:
    Workgroup:

When setting up a network using windows wizard the two mentioned things are crucial for the network to see each other. Do NOT name both computers the same name but give both computers the same workgroup.
    *edit*
    After you finish the wizard it will ask for you to finishing using cd, or someother stuff just pick the last option, it says something like "just finish without cd"

Then follow what riffraff said: But if you don't want to share your whole C drive just go to a folder in C and just right click and go to shareing and share the folder.

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by MasJ
    LOL

Zeek Guest

Ugh, well I really appreciate all the advice on solving this problem, but to no avail. I've tried setting up the network so many times now my head hurts. The computers just refuse to see each other. When I look for the shared folder all I see is the folder that I have shared on my computer. It's like they are connecting, but refuse to share anything. I don't know what else to do. Perhaps its because one computer is xp Pro, and one is xp home. I guess as a last resort I can tranfer over my cd burning to her computer. I was hoping to firgure out how to use the cat 5 though.

Also one a side note just so people know I am using a Cat 5e crossover cable, and of course both comupters have network cards.

Thanks

Ah why didn't you tell us this first.

Okay XP pro likes to do weird stuff.
    *Do below on both computers*
    Open up "Show all connections"
    Right click on the LAN connection, Properties
    Check: Show icon in notification area when connected.
    Select: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    Turn them both onto Obtain address Auto.

Reboot both computers. See if the little box that looks like a internet connection box has appeared for the LAN. Have fun rebooting the computers in different orders until they see each other. To memory the XP Pro computer needs to be turned on first. (You don't even want to know how much of a pain connecting 2k Server, 98SE and XP Home is).

Zeek Guest

Woot!! Thank you, that was the last little piece of the puzzle Lord Riff Raff. Thank you everyone for all the tips. It may of taken me two days to finish it but finally I was able to transfer over all her files.