Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about my video card

Big G Guest

Default Question about my video card

ok, heres the deal. I have a hp pavillion xt983 with an S3 Graphics ProSavage video card. I want a better one. but heres the problem, its integrated into my chipset with no AGP slot. so my question is, how do i install a better video card?

Thanks

You have no AGP Slot? You have no choice but to get a PCI card. If you have 900mhz or lower, Do not get any thing above G-force 2. If you have over 1.5Ghz, Get a G-force 4 PCI or a G-force FX 5600 PCI

-good luck

I'm the bastard that created The Hang Out many years ago
    I like to remind people to feed my ego

Ace Guest

Default Re: Question about my video card

Originally posted by Big G
    ok, heres the deal. I have a hp pavillion xt983 with an S3 Graphics ProSavage video card. I want a better one. but heres the problem, its integrated into my chipset with no AGP slot. so my question is, how do i install a better video card?
    A PCI video card, but my advice would be to get a new mobo which does have AGP support. Will speed up the card a lot.

Big G Guest

whats a mobo?

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by Big G
    whats a mobo?
    Mobo = <B>Mo</B>ther<B>bo</B>ard.

Big G Guest

would i make any difference if i told u that my pc had 3 PCI slots? would i need a new "mobo" then?

Sanitarium Guest

Depends what cards do you need to plug? Sound, ethernet, etc..?

Thanks

Yes you still need a new motherboard to use a agp slot video card. AGP slots give higer performance then PCI, agp rates at like +66mhz and pci 33mhz. The transfer of memory to agp is specifially for graphics unlike the transfer for pci which can be any other perphrial like video card, sound card, lan card, etc...

If you live in U.S.A I recommend going to newegg.com specifically http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1 to find yourself a new pci graphics card.

And like perviously mentioned if your cpu is 500mhz or lower don't get anything faster then a geforce 2 and if you have a 1.2mhz cpu go ahead and get a geforce 4 or ati 9x00 type cards.

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

Ace Guest

Originally posted by grantu2
    Yes you still need a new motherboard to use a agp slot video card. AGP slots give higer performance then PCI, agp rates at like +66mhz and pci 33mhz. The transfer of memory to agp is specifially for graphics unlike the transfer for pci which can be any other perphrial like video card, sound card, lan card, etc...

If you live in U.S.A I recommend going to newegg.com specifically http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1 to find yourself a new pci graphics card.

And like perviously mentioned if your cpu is 500mhz or lower don't get anything faster then a geforce 2 and if you have a 1.2mhz cpu go ahead and get a geforce 4 or ati 9x00 type cards.
    Lol, just could resist this, but 1.2Mhz?

Thanks

LOL. Hey, it was a late night/day start.

an 8086 with a geforce 4, now that would be a nice thing to see.

Grantu2

Big G Guest

Originally posted by grantu2

Base Processor and Speed:
    AMD Athlon 1.4GHz/200 Processor

So which one do u guys suggest?

Oh, and by the way, I know my computer sucks. I just need a little help thats all.

Thanks

The best Mobo (for me) is a MSI

I'm the bastard that created The Hang Out many years ago
    I like to remind people to feed my ego

Thanks

If your still going to keep your motherboard and have a pci vid-card, and you said you have a 1.4 ghz cpu. I would recommend an ati 9200 or nvidia fx 5200 pci cards. These cards have a good price/performance ratios.

Grantu2

Big G Guest

if i decide to get one of those, do i just slide it in one of my PCI slots?

Thanks

"slide" kindaoff you have to push it in, and screw it tight; don't worry its very easy. You'll also have to disable onboard graphics in bios, if your bios doesn't give you that option, just disable onboard video in "device manager", there easy to do as well. You should do a search on google for a picture step to step on how to change a pci card. I can't think of any site that has a picture step by step. You might want to try tomshardware.com . on building a system. And we can walk you through disabling onboard video.

Grantu2