Thread: Favourite game composer/game music

Thanks

Default Favourite game composer/game music

heeey .. Whats your favourite games composer or game music?

I'm pretty old school..
    I still like Chris Huelsbeck and the stuff he did for Turrican all those many years ago (yes, even though technically jochen hippel did most the work)

Allister Brimble deserves a mention..

But I bet most of you people just like Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu and Koji Kondo right?

Well, go on surprise me.

How this thread works:
    Name of composer - What he worked on

Why its yer favourite ^^.

I'll start:

Huelsbeck - Turrican 2
    Had me bopping through most of the game which made little turri die too many times.

Mitsuda - Xenogears
    Moody.. Very moody and different .

I can't think of anymore atm :/

I need, I want, I care, I weep, I ache, I am. I said, I am.

Thanks
    EP Points

Uematsu Nobuo-san -- Final Fantasy series

The reasons are obvious. Uematsu-san is like the Japanese equivalent of John Williams. He's a brilliant conductor.

Iwadare Noriyuki-san -- Grandia II

I absolutely love this game -- even though I STILL can't get past the Eye of Valmar. The backround music created by Iwadare-san heightens the gameplay and makes it that much more enjoyable.
    ~.oO Destiny is SO Overrated Oo.~

Thanks

Uematsu - Final Fantasy
    I expect to see Nobuo on everyone's list. He's quite a great composer. Although a bit over-rated, I still like his stuff.

Mitsuda - Xenosaga, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Tsugunai
    After listening to the brilliant job he had done on Xenogears: Creid, I couldn't help but fall in love with Mitsuda. His work is brilliant. It surpasses Nobuo's work in my opinion. Listen to Xenosaga's soundtrack to see what I mean. It's a shame he won't be on Xenosaga Episode II.

Yoko Shimomura - Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve
    Bwaha! The princess behind the Kingdom Hearts' soundtrack. One of the few soundtracks that I enjoyed every single tune it had. And I give her big credit for the samples I heard off the PE and LoM soundtracks. I like how she varies in her musical style.

Tenpei Sato - Makai Senki Disgaea, Rhapsody, Marl's Kingdom Story
    I doubt you've heard of Sato.. I actually doubt you've heard of the games he had worked on! Well anyway, if cuteness and quirkyness bother you, you'll definately hate Sato. Sato is quite known for his unique style which involves hilarious, cute, adorable and quirky tunes. But then again, that doesn't mean he doesn't have any serious compositions at all.
    The Disgaea soundtracks can be a grave example of what his style is like.

Whew! I think that's it.
    Last edited by Megalith; 20th-January-2004 at 14:03.

Thanks

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy-series

TechnoSoft-guy - Herzog Zwei. I got no idea what his real name is

Isk Guest

Nobuo Uematsu
    He's produced a crazy number of memorable melodies and tracks over the years. Although I think he's in his sunset, that's partly due to Square overworking him. Plus, he's still got stuff like In Zanarkand up his sleeve. Always in the mood for some Nobuo.

Yasunori Mitsuda
    Like Uematsu, I don't think his recent work is his best or most prominent, but Chrono Trigger and Xenogears have two of the best game soundtracks of all time. Looks like he's drifting more to the production side of the table, which is good as he's doing well there.

Motoi Sakuraba
    Amazing musician, writes some heart-wrenching melodies but also has high energy/militaristic pieces. Shining Force III's OSTs are awesome. He's also a badass live, just goes to town on multiple synths at once.

Yasunori Shiono
    I feel he doesn't get nearly as much work as he should. Lufia II's soundtrack is the highlight of the entire game. I'd be very happy if he landed a few deals on next-gen console (or even PC) games.

Yuzo Koshiro
    Extremely versatile, able to create both brilliant orchestral and electronic tracks. Rather incredible that the same man was behind the soundtracks of Actraiser and Streets of Rage.

Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masahiru Iwata
    True, once you've heard one of their OSTs, you've heard them all. But, that's also a credit to their consistency. Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics own.

Jeremy Soule
    Not an orchestrator in the purest sense of the word, but his tracks are very sweeping and cinematic. He's also an incredibly hard-working individual, even moreso than Nobuo in his prime.

Capcom's composers
    Largely uncredited, these guys crank out some wonderful tunes, like the ones from Mega Man II and Street Fighter II.

Jeroen Tel
    See Shiono I'd like to see what he can do with a full orchestra.

Harry Gregson-Williams and KCE Japan Sound Team
    Metal Gear Solid's OSTs are near-perfect. The first one stands on its own, but Gregson-Williams is a natural fit for the rest of the series.

Michael Hoenig
    Special mention just for Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn's soundtrack. I don't really like Throne of Bhaal's OST, don't know why Hoenig didn't do ToB as well.

Castlevania's sound teams
    Way too many people to list. The music in the CV series has never failed to impress me. Symphony of the Night's OST is my favorite. Although Lament of Innocence's OST is very good, I hope Konami returns to dark, overdriven guitars in the next CV,

I'm constantly exposed to new music and composers, so yeah, this list isn't complete

Thanks

Jeremy Soule..

Isn't he the guy who did the KOTOR music?

I need, I want, I care, I weep, I ache, I am. I said, I am.

Isk Guest

yep

Ketzer Guest

Sorry but is Koji Kondo and the Castlevania�s oohh & Nobuo Uematsu

Thanks

Those r all good guies but i have to say that robert prince from doom was prity good. especialy considering that he only could use general midi sounds.

He sounds a lot beater today though with the 16 bit sound cards

He, or the ausom drum samples on my sound card, inspired me to be a drummer

Sanitarium Guest

Final Fantasy
    Zelda
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Chrono Cross
    Commodore 64 music (download the SID collection and enjoy!)