Thread: Router setup problem

Thanks

Default Router setup problem

Ok I just got dsl for a few days and I want to split it to both my comps. So I went to Bestbuy and bought a Linksys Etherfast cable/dsl firewall router with 4-port switch/VPN endpoint and a extra ethernet cable CAT6 Networking cable. Now the prblem comes in when I try to config the router through the wizard setup disc. At the point where you enter your comp name and the domain name the router checks the connection and when it does it dosen't detect a connection.

Network adapter: NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter
    DSL: Sprint DSL
    Modem Model: SP-645ME-A1, Modem ADSL 645ME-A1 Sprint

Thanks

You might have plugged your computer into the router too early. With some routers like this, you need to have your main computer (the one with the disk in it) connected directly to the modem while its testing. You can't plug your main computer into the router until after its done testing the connection.

chrono8921 Guest

I suggest you connect one PC at a time, with your main PC first. And then run the setup. Then do it with your other PCs...

Thanks

I am setting up one PC at a time following the instrutions that are on the disc. At one point it ask me to connect the DSL modem and then to unplug it and the plug it in the the router through the wan and then plug the router from the ports to the comp. BUt when I do that I lose the DSl connection or the router dosen't detects it. Cause the next step it checks the connetion again.

[EDIT]
    Ok nm guys I finally bought a router that works but thanx for your guys replies.
    Last edited by TMC; 3rd-January-2004 at 20:46.

chrono8921 Guest

LoL... so what did you do with your old one?