Thread: External USB HDD Error

Thanks
    EP Points

Default External USB HDD Error

I got an external Usb harddisk around 6 months ago for my birthday, its a Maxtor 40Gig that's been installed into a slim USB 2.0 casing. Been using it ever since and had no errors whatsoever with it. Today when I decided to watch the Adevnt children trailer that was stored on it, I was unzipping it when a disc read error popped up. It roughle read, from what I can remember -

I/O device read error /device/Harddisk1/.... [cant remember the rest]

I promptly restarted then at the WinXP login screen, it took around 5 times as longer to show me the list of current user (it was stuck at "Windows is starting up..."). And it also popped up a notice with the above error and the buttons "Cancel" "Try Again" "Continue". I clicked continue and once I logged in, Windows was responding really, really slowly (i have 256mb RAM). Once I wen to My Computer, the window froze and a "Not Responding" sign appeared. I thought ofswitching of my second HDD since the error message had said "Harddisk1" and the My Computer window started responding, however the two partitions on my external drive (H and I) could be seen but not accessed. I googled the error message and came up with a solution of uninstalling USB and letting WinXP redetect it and reinstall it. To cut a long story short, this happened, but the error message dissapeared. The only thing is that nothing else had changed and I still couldn't access H:/ and I:/ . I connected up the HDD to my old Win98 computer which uses USB1.1 and surprisingly it worked, I could access my files. However I couldn't get those files to my current comp since my old comp doesn't have a CD-R/RW.

Anyone know what the problem is or can suggest a solution for this. If this cant be solved, I might have to reformat Windows for the 2nd time and see if atleast that works. I'm going to try a System Restore know and see if that helps...

BTW sorry for my long post

EDIT - Would installing the drive internally help? If so could anyone povide some tutorials? [NOTE - this is as a last resort, that I'd do if nothing else works]
    Last edited by torpedo009; 28th-December-2003 at 17:20.

Thanks

My advice would be to format the drive. But firstly, did you damage the drive in any way? hit it etc..? Another thing, make sure all cables/connections are secure, or try using another usb port.
    Is windows installed on that external disk?
    Emuparadise.org - Been with you since late 2000 and still going strong!

Thanks
    EP Points

Weird, I got one partition on it to work [I:/]. I'm going to totally format it once I backup all data on it. Nope, haven't even touched the drive for around 5 months, except to turn it off etc..... No winXP is installed on my internal drive...

Thanks

Installing it internally won't help.
    Find and download new motherboard drivers. Make sure you get the right ones for your board as it may sort it out if it's a USB problem.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hzmmm........someone else suggested totally formatting the disk, right now I'm emptying the disc, can someone suggest a good FREE and powerful format tool (don't really want to use the WinXP one but will if there isn't any other....)

chrono8921 Guest

I would suggest Partition Magic... but it isn't exactly free...

Thanks
    EP Points

Yea, I'm trying a low-level format once I empty the disk using a tool supplied by Maxtor. It only works in Dos, don't know if it will support USB though....

chrono8921 Guest

I could send you Partition Magic via MSN if you like... btw, I just remembered, I had a similar problem once with my Iomega External... I had to uninstall it from Device Manager and reinstall it in a different USB port. BTW, when you disconnected your drive, did you do the Safe Removal method?

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by chrono8921
    ...I had a similar problem once with my Iomega External... I had to uninstall it from Device Manager and reinstall it in a different USB port. BTW, when you disconnected your drive, did you do the Safe Removal method?
    Yep, uninstalled it, tried a diff USB port, used Safe Remove,, none of them worked, I even uninstalled USB and let windows reinstall it, no luck. Oh and I'd really appreciate if you sent PMagic to me through MSN

chrono8921 Guest

LoL... np...