23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows XP

20 86.96%
  • Macintosh OSX

3 13.04%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mac vs Windows

Thanks

PCI Accelerator cards is a new type of cpu thats comming out thats simply a FPU accelerator that they can fit 2 cpus on a single PCI board. 8 of the boards lets you do ~2 earth simulators.

Thanks
    EP Points

heh sweet it's all coming together nicely
    That Dragon Tear is mines bitch!

Thanks

Originally posted by Ru
    Higher compatibility, lower price... In the long run, it holds off better... There's been a general rule going around for quite a while: Macs are for dummies... I think that's true to a certain extent!

Plug n' play! That's all a Mac user needs to know...
    That's really, really flawed logic. Macs are bad because they're EASY to use? Just listen to yourself there. Plug 'n play is GOOD technology. Would you rather manually install drivers for every peripheral? Just because Macs are easier to use doesn't mean that their users are any less smart than the users of Windows.

Also, I find it kind of funny how everyone says linux is their favourite OS. How many of you honestly, truly know your way around linux? I do, I've spent alot of time on various Linux OSes. They're great, I agree. But, they're just not what I need. They lack as far as digital graphics editing goes, and I think everyone will agree with that. I mean, c'mon, GIMP? Pretty weak.

I like Macs because they're good for what I do. I don't play games, so the compatibility thing isn't an issue for me. I use computers for work, and discussion. I don't think anyone can argue with me that Macs really do beat PCs when it comes to graphics and display capability. Like honestly, have you ever looked at a Mac screen? Pretty damn nice quality, both due to the hardware AND the software. Microsoft tryed to mimic their technology with that "ClearType" BS, and, well, it just doesn't compare.

It's completely a matter of personal preference, neither is "better" then the other. It's really a question on what you use your computer for, simple as that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'll state that Windows is my favorite OS. I've never used Linux, and as Windows XP has always been more than adequate for my purposes, I have had no real reason to try it. Having worked with eMacs at the school (Which almost exclusively used it and its predecessor, the iMac), I have found it useful for user friendliness, though I've run into problems with compatibility issues. In comparison between Photoshop for Windows and Macintosh OS's, I may not have done significant things with it, but I have found no major differences in operation between the two (Things I've learned on the Mac have worked just as well on my home Windows PC). Given my background as a gamer in comparison to artist, however, I prefer the compatibility of Windows to the lack of flexibility in Macintosh computers, and for the limited Photoshop work I do (Primarily work for my forum accounts), have found little difference between the two platforms.

Finally, one can be classified as better than the other, of course, but it varies depending on your use for said computer. It is actually not entirely personal preference.

Thanks

Originally posted by XKR
    That's really, really flawed logic. Macs are bad because they're EASY to use? Just listen to yourself there. Plug 'n play is GOOD technology. Would you rather manually install drivers for every peripheral? Just because Macs are easier to use doesn't mean that their users are any less smart than the users of Windows.
    Well, in case you didn't notice, I was making a small joke about it... Didn't mean to insult you, or anything, but if you think about it, like I said, the "dummy" rule is true to an extent...

I see no flaw in my logic, but I'd certainly appreciate it if you told me what it is... Perhaps I could correct it...

Now, you don't need to know how a computer works in order to fully customize your Mac... You DO, however, need a certain amount of knowledge if you plan on commiting to a PC...

Of course, Plug n' play is good technology, but I only stated that as an example of how easy it is to use a Mac... We all love Plug n' Play!

Also, the Mac's architecture gives it a certain edge for multi-media applications, but the hefty price tag just isn't worth it...

avtor Guest

absolutevly windwos nothing else but windows !

Thanks
    EP Points

lol
    dont forget the bsod's

Thanks

Originally posted by Ru
    Well, in case you didn't notice, I was making a small joke about it... Didn't mean to insult you, or anything, but if you think about it, like I said, the "dummy" rule is true to an extent...

I see no flaw in my logic, but I'd certainly appreciate it if you told me what it is... Perhaps I could correct it...

Now, you don't need to know how a computer works in order to fully customize your Mac... You DO, however, need a certain amount of knowledge if you plan on commiting to a PC...

Of course, Plug n' play is good technology, but I only stated that as an example of how easy it is to use a Mac... We all love Plug n' Play!

Also, the Mac's architecture gives it a certain edge for multi-media applications, but the hefty price tag just isn't worth it...
    The flaw in your logic is that you're basically stating that ease of use means dumber users, which I find to be very false. Take this example: Automobiles used to be significantly more difficult to operate. One had to crank the engine to get it started, and far fewer things were automatic. Now, cars are far, far easier to use, but that doesn't mean that the average user is any less smart than those that use the antique automotives.

Yes, a hefty price tag, but that tends to be for a reason. Macintosh hardware tends to take longer to become obsolete, or to lose support for it.
    Last edited by XKR; 15th-December-2003 at 18:37.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well i dont like the Extention thing for the mac, as our Imac's that we use get's them corrupt 24/7
    And i dont understand why...

USA, the best damm place in the world, always and forever
    Thanks

XKR, i know my linux... and have you tryed Gimp 1.3? Its awsome

Also, there is this program for linux called CrossOver Office (its not free, but you can download it somewhere) that allows you to install Photoshop 7 and use it in linux, and it works flawlessly.

www.PacificMods.com

Selling modchip installation services, premodified consoles, and other cool stuff. Low costs and high quality products and services.

Thanks

Originally posted by XKR
    The flaw in your logic is that you're basically stating that ease of use means dumber users, which I find to be very false. Take this example: Automobiles used to be significantly more difficult to operate. One had to crank the engine to get it started, and far fewer things were automatic. Now, cars are far, far easier to use, but that doesn't mean that the average user is any less smart than those that use the antique automotives.

Yes, a hefty price tag, but that tends to be for a reason. Macintosh hardware tends to take longer to become obsolete, or to lose support for it.
    An uninformed user is, in fact, a "dumber" user to an extent... This in no way means they are complete idiots or incapable of learning how a computer works... Far from it! In case you didn't notice, I wasn't referring to that...

In the end, though, you are correct... For the casual user, the knowledge of how a computer works is irrelevant when the only thing you want is to get the job done...

Seeing as I'm on the other side of things, though, I still prefer the PC... To each their own, etc. , etc. ...

And I can't quite make out that "obsolete" part... Care to share anything on that...?

Thanks

PCs need to be upgraded far more often than Macs do to stay current. If you get a Mac, you can expect to have a good number of years use out of it. PCs get out-dated too quickly.

I also still disagree with you about the "dumber" user thing. Just because one uses a computer that is more user-friendly doesn't mean they're any less informed. I find the inner workings of a computer to be very relevant, PC or Macintosh. When I want to screw around with computer hardware, I'll play with my PC. Just, when the day is done, all in all, I'd rather use a macintosh for most things.

Thanks

Well, to compare the software first you need to look into the hardware... the RISC based G5 are no match for the Athlon X86-64... it supports more RAM (even if, theoretically both support the same amount), the G5 uses a... northbridge while these new Athlons run all the memory/video requests from the CPU (obvious exceptions come fron the nForce 3 and the via K8), making all of it faster. True, they did introduce the first 64 bit processor, but they have run into compatibility problems with legacy software. Execution, folks... while the Athlon 64 is fully compatible with old school software (32 bit apps) , a problem that even Intel is having with the Itanium. The mac can *finally* use DDR memory, up to 333 mhz, while we prepare for DDR2 next year... maybe as early as 1st quarter. You cannot expand or fully customize your Mac because all cards and drives must be either "Apple certified" or compatible.

Now, the software... they're running on a stripped down version of Unix, which was incompatible with legacy software, plus it wouldn't install on older Macs unless users found hacks for it. And no driver support since they wanted to FORCE their loyal users to put down $3000-$5000 bucks on a Shiny Aluminum cased G5 with the new OS, which an Athlon 64 with ANY OS could swipe with a Chubs anyday. Longhorn is coming, I hate M$, but I have a beta and it is acceptable (it IS a beta, and lacks some things) and it points in the direction that, after 20 years M$ wants to do things right... almost. And let's not mention linux... MacOSX Jaguar, Panther or whatsoever are not faster than Linux. gaming support on the Mac? Shit... only Graphic Artists and Muicians, or movie Producers can find a suitable home in a Mac. The PC is an universal language.

And don't tell me that MacOS is safer and that Winblows is crap because it is constanly hacked... because I bet that if a group dedicated to hack the Mac, there would be far more trojans for it, but nobody gives a damn about the Mac. And because M$ is constanly updating their software and creating patches for it I bet that right now Windows is better defended than the Mac from a massive attack. Plus it is rele

My 2 cents... and I didn't put all I felt. Thi isn't a testament.
    Last edited by J; 20th-December-2003 at 07:10.
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.