Thread: max volume and beyond

Thanks

Default max volume and beyond

is there any possible way to turn up the volume louder than the loudest you can go?

My normal computer sounds are fine, winamp and every other application works fine, and at 75% speaker volume it's loud enough to rattle things on my shelf.

Movies on the other hand are VERY quiet, that is whenever I play a dvd or divx/xvid videos. With everything in windows turned up and my speaker volume at 100% it's just barely at a decent listening level. Two problems though, I like watching movies louder, and anything over 75% speaker volume I can hear a fuzz in the background.

since it's just with dvd and divx movies I was thinking it could possibly be a codec problem, also since it has this same problem in windows media player, windvd, divx player, and other dvd/movie players. I reinstalled the divx codecs and others but nothing, any help or suggestions?

have ac97 onboard sound btw

Thanks

Nope, it actually called the joys of high quality sound, it happens on everyones computer. DVDs need to be turned up more because the they have a broader sound spectrum. You can get rid of some of the problem by adding 5.1 speakers but really there isn't much that can be done.

Thanks

thanks Riff.

I guess I'll try out a soundblasterLive5.1 and see how that goes till I get a high end card.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have exactly the same problem as Rose, and I cannot see getting a different soundcard or 5.1 speakers is going to make the blindest bit of difference. Escpecaly no difference to Divx movies.
    I suppose one solution may be to use a great program like virtualdub to rip the sound channel out, then use a great program like audacity to raise the total volume level of the resulting sound file. Then go back to virtualdub and rejoing the video and new audio.

This is a long-arsed and not tested method, is there a better one!!?

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Strange...I have ac97 onboard sound too (from realtek) and none of these problems occur to me, I can hear divX/Xvid movies fine at 50%speaker; 50% subwoofer....