Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good enough reason for keeping your PS2 horizontal and NOT vertical.

Thanks

Default Good enough reason for keeping your PS2 horizontal and NOT vertical.

This post from another forum just OPENED my eyes as to NOT keeping the PS2 vertical and I think other people should know about this as it will help their ps2 to "live longer".

And all the credit for this info goes to EnTiTy from www.ps2newz.net. He is one of the pro on that board.

This is what he has to say.

Horizontal. Its hard to explain over the net but its all to do with gravity. Horizontal is the way to go im afraid, because it has an equal amount of gravity and spins on its axis evenly with no distortion and reading problems.

Now vertical the lowest point of gravity is south of the disc it has an un equal proportion, causing the weight of the disc to spin un even ie the disc from the middle onwards is going closer further closer further closer further like a plate wobbling.

All the time making the optic work 10 times harder to focus its beam on the pits and lands this drastically reduce's life of the ps2.

Now ask me how many ps2's i have repaired and what the first thing i ask them when they tell me its having trouble reading disc's, yup do you have the ps2 vertical they say yes i fix it tell
    them the above and warn them i will not guarentee the repair unless they have the ps2 in a horizontal position and i know if they dont because of the below.

To further this, the laser coils are 2 thin peices of taught wire with magnets at either side like below

I 0 I

I= WIRE 0 = optic lense that when its in a horizontal position = gravity on both coils

now vertical

_

_
    yup you guessed it gravity is a ***** it puts physical force against the coils because of the weight of the lense slowly they go from being taught holding the lense central and ideal for reading discs to become politely "slack as a bag of bollocks" like below

~
    ~

At this stage, you can only play the ps2 in the vertical position because the laser has become worn and is on its way out when this happens its not long before it can muster enough power to read disc's at all.

The proof is also in the pudding some of you will remember sony racalling early versions of the ps2 because it was scratching discs in the vertical position. The reason for this was because of the wobble gravitational effect described above.

Its up to you but horizontal is the only way to go and prelongs the life of the laser dramatically take this from someone whos see's these things day in day out and 99% of laser repairs i do are because of the vertical position yeah it looks good and dont take up much space as it is when horizontal but it's a major flaw all vertical optics have and thats a FACT.

I also point you to this cool thread here http://www.ps2newz.net/forums/showt...p?threadid=8604

explaining other pitfalls reguarding the optic's coils

EnTiTy

In the end, I have opted to keep my ps2 HORIZONTAL. Hell, it even saved me money from investing in a vertical stand.

Hope this info helps other people.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 29th-October-2003 at 19:13.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

And someone around here was asking me why keeping it vertical was so bad (and even mentioned his system wouldn't read discs in horizontal position anymore)...

Well, I can't say I went into this kind of technical detail with him, but this only proves I was right...
    [/self-flattery]

I don't know but I see these big robots called gears everywhere.
    Thanks

theanks for the info I will do so after I get home

ps: will having a psx on top of it be ok?

Need New Sig

Thanks

I don't see any reason for it being bad at all... It's the PS2's cover which is supporting the PSOne, so it's not harming any internal components...

As long as it's not extremely heavy, you should be fine...

trelimb Guest

I knew it!!!!!! As soon as the verticle stand came out it just seemed like something sony was doing to sell more PS2s by shortening their life. I didn't have every detail mentioned in the first post but I just had this intuitive feeling that it was a bad idea. plus if you think about it it actually takes up more space that way. Think about it in terms of matter takinf up space in the air. you have a PS2, then you have a PS2 + stand. Which one has a higher volume? The PS2 + stand. I know they meant that it touches less of the ground but then you have to have a shelf tall enough to set it in. I always told everyone to keep it horizontal but they would never believe me. They would be like "it stays cooler this way" then I would say, "yeah and ice would keep it cooler too but are you going to do that also?" then they would say "do you even have a PS2?" I say "no" they say "then you don't know what you are talking about" I say "just trust me, it doesn't make sence to keep it vertical. Don't come crying to me when it stops working." Those freaking idiots. HA!

Originally posted by Rose
    theanks for the info I will do so after I get home

ps: will having a psx on top of it be ok?
    I would try to avoid that because if you have anything on top of the PS2, that means the only place for heat to escape is the front and back. I now the fan is in the back so that is where most of the heat leaves anyway but I would still avoid putting anything on top of it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah, heat doesn't escape from the top of your PS2, so you aren't blocking any vents by placing your PSOne on top of it. I'm not very sure it's a good idea anyway, but meh. I'd just find a different place for the thing....

Thanks
    EP Points

SOME heat must escape from the top of the PS2 bacause of the simple fact that heat rises. But yes it will most probably not cause any damage to keep your ps1 on top of it, as the majority of heat is blown out of the back. So dont have the back of your PS2 too close to a wall.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

Originally posted by Ru
    And someone around here was asking me why keeping it vertical was so bad (and even mentioned his system wouldn't read discs in horizontal position anymore)...

Well, I can't say I went into this kind of technical detail with him, but this only proves I was right...
    [/self-flattery]
    hey that was me..
    and it wouldn't..
    but it just started yesterday..
    now i have it in horizontal because i don't need to save space and it looks better i think..
    wait no i think its still vertical (im not at home, so i don't remember..)
    whatever since it works thats how i'll keep it from now on since theres a real plausible reason to..

EmuFreak Guest

BLAH I am sorry but I seem to be one of the lucky few I guess I have a old model of the ps2 which a lot of people I hear say have a lot of issues, and I keep my ps2 vertical due to lack of space beccause of all the other systems I own, and I have YET to have a single issue with a game or anything.

Thanks
    EP Points

I always kept mine horizontal any way, it just doesnt look right vertical, besides if you dont have a stand it could fall or something

Thanks
    EP Points

I have kept mine vertical for a long time now, now that I know the actual reason why it's bad (instead of people just generally telling me 'it's bad'..), I'd consider changing it... Though now that I think about it, it really does run better on it's side for me, my Final Fantasy VII disc that's scratched to hell doesn't run at all in the horizontal position, and yet plays perfectly when the PS2 is vertical... I have no idea as to why but...

Thanks

I have both my PS2's horizontal, one on top of the other, like two young lovers in an orchard on a warm, hazy summers day. Or something. Anyway, I used to have the one I was using in a vert position, but more than anything was concerned about my discs as I placed them into the tray. It just didnt seem very stable, and so reverted to the horizontal position. Which in turn seems to run games better (in that theres less drop out on FVM, loading, etc).

I tried sellotaping my Saturn to the TV, in the hope I could make Sega as cool as Sony by having their console in an 'extreme' vert position. Good fun, good fun.
    Touch my twat.

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by Viktor
    I have both my PS2's horizontal, one on top of the other, like two young lovers in an orchard on a warm, hazy summers day. Or something. Anyway, I used to have the one I was using in a vert position, but more than anything was concerned about my discs as I placed them into the tray. It just didnt seem very stable, and so reverted to the horizontal position. Which in turn seems to run games better (in that theres less drop out on FVM, loading, etc).

I tried sellotaping my Saturn to the TV, in the hope I could make Sega as cool as Sony by having their console in an 'extreme' vert position. Good fun, good fun.
    ! I sellotaped my old PSX to the TV once

trelimb Guest

Originally posted by Viktor

I am just curios. Why do you have two PS2's? I agree with Deach also. The whole gravity thing that makes things fall would make me a little nervous about having a PS2 vertical.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah, having the PS2 vertical isn't a good idea at all. I had a friend who'd bought his PS2 on launch day, along with the vertical stand. I don't have any story. I just thought I'd letcha know. Nah, his PS2 crapped out on him the next year. Not to mention it kept scratching his disks to hell, which is reason enough not to go the vertical route.