Thread: ps2 emulator

Terry_007 Guest

ps2 emulator

is there a ps2 emulator out there???

if there is anyone here who has one please tell me where it is

why hasn't anyone been able to make one and let the public download it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Arrow

You see, PS2 is MUCH more powerful that a PC so it can't be emulated on the PC. (yet).
    Plus, if you really want to play the games, get one for yourself!

Dr_Ackula Guest

OK it goes a little like this, There is no ps2 emu, no DC emu, and no way to play either on a pc. So there u go. Emulation is not for the most current systems out, it is really much more for old-school gamez and consoles, so if u want new gamez, buy a new system :p

mr deadman Guest

Exclamation

Only a complete novice (or console freak) would even think about saying that the PS2 is more powerful than a PC. There is no part of the PS2 which can hold a candle to my PC, and no games which my PC couldnt run with ease.

CPU Speed:
    PS2: 330MHz (I think)
    PC: 1.4GHz

Graphics Card:
    PS2 32-Bit "emotion engine"
    PC: 256-Bit "Hardware T&L engine"

Maximum Resolution:
    PS2: Less than 800x600
    PC: 1600x1200

My PC is a far better machine than the PS2, the reason emulation doesnt work well is because your computer has to successfully run another computer inside itself to emulate correctly. As we can see from Bleem and EPSXE, if done correctly, the emulated games look 10 times better on the PC than on the PS, and it is possible also with PS2 once someone has figured out the coding (which incidentally the software companies still don't know how to do properly, so it will be a while yet.)

Thanks
    EP Points
    Well, PS2 probably is a bit more advanced than a PC, but if you don't think so, remember how, when the original PlayStation and Saturn where released, and how much more powerful than a PC they where until about a year later. In a few months, PC will be top dog again. Until the X-Box goes on sale that is...

Thanks
    EP Points
    And in case anyone is wondering about what Mr Deadman said, maybe PS2 is more efficcient whan it comes to using hardware (like AMD Athlon and Pentium 4) so when newer and more efficcent PC hardware come out, PS2 will look like a pile of crap. A big pile of black crap that plays DVDs and has a blue PS2 logo on it. Oh sorry, got carried away there. Anyway, I'll stick with my PC, thanks.

mr deadman Guest

I don't know how you can say a PS2 is more advanced than a PC in any way at all.. honestly, i've seen the best PS2 has to offer, which is GT3 and MGS2, and although they look impressive, they still aren't PC quality, and you have to remember this is through a TV. If you put these games on a 19" monitor and play them, they will look like trash.(just use VGS to see how bad PSone games look on PC) Play something like Sacrifice, Evolva, Max Payne, Black & White, Undying or Giants SC in 1600x1200 and tell me a PS2 can look that good... I'm sure my PC could run games at about 150 or more fps in the low resolution the PS2 uses.

I won't argue the cost factor here, cos sure it costs a hell of a lot more for a PC than a PS2, but i can afford it so i'm sticking with the best.

Thanks
    EP Points
    I meant that the PS2 is advanced because it's hard to make an emulator that emulates a fairly advanced system, works and, more importantly, runs at a decent speed. This is also why you don't see any emulators for the most current and advanced machines. Think about it: an emulator first has to read the game's coding, then translate it to a format that the computer can understand. The reason you don't see any working DC and PS2 emulators is because people don't yet know how to make them run effectively. And as you can imagine, loading and using the data from the disc and then converting it can hog CPU/RAM/ power and this is why a lot of current emulators are slow and slighly glitchy. This is just my theory though. if anyone else knows a better theory, please post it and tell us.

Thanks

Im agreeing with what Mr Deadman is saying for one reason. When Metal Gear Solid came out on PSX they immediately made a version of MGS for computer and guess what? The computer version was about 10 times better graphics wise. The graphics were absolutely fantastic. This was when computers were only a bit better than the n64 and psx.

Thanks

I consider that SNES is a far better console than PS2. It's original and it has a hell of a games
    Intel is up, AMD eats shit

Thanks
    EP Points
    Nice one Cyrax. I agree with you totally on that one. I still have a SNES set up in my bedroom and I still play on it almost everyday. With SNES, you had great quality games like Mario World, Street Fighter 2 series, Donkey Kong Country series, Pilotwings and Super Metroid. Name one game on PS2 that has the instant playability of these titles. Oh, you may mock it and laugh at it's 16-bit power, but SNES rocked and still does.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh yeah, and for those of you who think that PS2 and DC can be emulated on PC, I challenge you to make a working emulator for these systems. If you can, great, upload them somewhere and post the links here. That should settle it and prove our points once and for all.

mr deadman Guest

Its not really lack of power on PC's that is stopping net gen Emulators, its basically that the code is too hard to decipher. PSone was done successfully, N64 is almost successful, these came out maybe 2 years after the consoles. There are DC emu's around, but whether they work i dunno, i havent been able to download DC ISO's to test. GBA was done a week after the thing came out, so that was obviously no problem, due to how basic the coding of the machine is.

I think if a professional company gets involved, such as the one behind Bleem, then we could see a PS2 emulator within the next year or so, but i don't know if they will try. If it's left to public domain, i don't see it happening for 3 or 4 years.

In terms of X-Box, i can see emulation happening very quickly, due to the fact that the console uses PC hardware, and the games will probably be PC coded games too, as I can see Microsoft using the "its easy, you just port your PC games over directly" argument to win developers over from PS2 and GameCube. How long before every other X-Box game uses the Unreal engine? I give it 6 months (until most people who want one have got one)

Dr_Ackula Guest

A Current PC is much more powerful an more efficient than either a PS2, DC, or the so-called mighty X-Box. The reason they are not emulated is because no-one has found a way to do so, and if u think they are "coming soon" think again, PSX and N64 are not even emulated perfectly, or even decently for that matter. Hell there are even some Super Nintendo games that can not yet be emulated.

And as far as the X-Box goes, the DreamCast runs on windows CE, so if emulation depended on how much like a PC a system was, then DC would be the first emulated, not X-Box. And X-Box will most likely be like DC in the same regards, as that other consoles can be emulated on it. Not that it can be emulated on a PC.

And one last time, for the record, there is NO Dreamcast emulator that can run comercial games, and there is NO PS2 emulator period.

And please try to remember that the subjects of playstation ISO's and Dreamcast ISO's are not Emulation...its Warez. And we are not Warezparadise, we are Emuparadise.