Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project 64 is choppy...

Lancer Guest

Default Project 64 is choppy...

I'm brand new to N64 emulation, and I have to say it's a little underwhelming. The gameplay in all my roms has a tendency to just stop, or be extremely slow and choppy. This has rendered F-Zero X all but unplayable, as well as Goldeneye. Since I am so new, I'm afraid to go messing with the settings too much, for fear of messing something up and not knowing how to fix it. The only fix I attempted was lowering the resolution to 640x480, and even that didn't help.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Computer specs please.

Lancer Guest

Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (non-HT )
    512 MB DDR RAM
    32 MB ATi Radeon Mobility 7500
    50 GB hard drive (if that matters)

I get a nasty feeling I'm just doing something wrong. My computer can handle the PC version of Halo, but not Doom 64? Argh.

Thanks

wierd...i just upgraded my computer from 500mhz to 1.8 ghz,and the difference in my n64 emulation by p64 has been amazing.which version are you using?

Currently listening to:
    Isis ~ Panopticon [9/10]
    The Walkmen ~ Bows & Arrows [8.5/10]
    The Shins ~ Oh, Inverted World
    Explosions In The Sky ~ How Strange, Innocence
    Caribou ~ The Milk of Human Kindness
    J�hann J�hannsson ~ Vir�ulegu Forsetar

Thanks
    EP Points

Your graphics card is a radeon mobility. So go get yourself an older version of Glide64 from here:

http://www.emuxhaven.net/~glide64/

And an older version of Evoodoo from here:
    http://evoodoo.emulation64.com/us/home.html

Why am I recommending older versions? Simply because the newer ones cause more problems than they solve for non native 3DFX users.

Thanks

Del_boy one of these days i'm going to find out somehting about computers you don't already know

Currently listening to:
    Isis ~ Panopticon [9/10]
    The Walkmen ~ Bows & Arrows [8.5/10]
    The Shins ~ Oh, Inverted World
    Explosions In The Sky ~ How Strange, Innocence
    Caribou ~ The Milk of Human Kindness
    J�hann J�hannsson ~ Vir�ulegu Forsetar

Thanks
    EP Points

LOL, you probably already do It's just finding out exactly what

Just another suggestion for this persons problems, try downloading PJ64 1.3 or 1.4 and seeing if the default (Jabos D3D6 or 7) cause this problem.

It may just be an isolated issue with the latest version.

It may also pay dividends for you to check out GL N64, this is one awesome plugin (that is also slightly more optimized for Radeon nowadays).

Binaryfog Guest

well I have V1.5 now i don't have any probs so far running any games exept F-Zero X (it plays fine just no Picture lol) My old version waz v1.3 upgrading solved alomst all probs.

slipknot20 Guest

it's prolly ur gfx plugin man try a different one

Thanks
    EP Points

It's probably your graphics card. Different graphics cards have different errors on the same plugins.

KingCane Guest

I love Project64. I just upgrade my memory from 128mb DDR to 640mb DDR. I can finally play the N64 the way it was meant to be played.

I used to have a GeForce 2 with 32mb and it didnt play all that good so i exchanged it for a GeForce 4 with 64mb and that did it. My comp can finally play them

Thanks

Just a thought - completely the wrong place granted (I couldnt be arsed to start a new thread) - but is it possible to play Goldenye with mouse/keyboard support?
    Touch my twat.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep go there Clive - and follow the instructions in the readme file. I personally don't like playing Goldeneye or PD with a mouse and keyboard, I can never get them to feel right. So I use my adaptoid w/ N64 pad instead.

http://members.chello.at/n-rage/dinput8/index.html

Thanks

thats funny- my s***y little laptop with i810 on-board video does a great job on all the games i've played so far, even biggies like conker's bfd and the zeldas. i guess your computer just doesn't like u.

John_Doe Guest

Most of the games that slow down seem to need better plugins as it shows in the notes, where do you guys get video plugins for that Project64?

I'm running a 64mb video card, it should handle it but Perfect dark, Goldeneye, and Killer Instinct have very low framerates.