Thread: Audio problems

LostAgain Guest

Default Audio problems

This morning my computer decided to completely blow up. I'm not exactly sure what happened, all I know is that it said it fixed a "registry problem". So, it had to go through and reinstall the drivers for some of my components. There were a few problems here and there, but I managed to get everything working.

Here's the problem, I reinstalled my sound driver, I'm using SoundMax, but now it says that the audio is disabled or that DirectSound is unavailable. This means that my none of the audio on my comp works (mp3s, games, etc.). I was wondering what might be causing this and if you guys had any ideas on how to fix it. Thanks

Thanks

Directsound come from directx so you might want to try and reinstall directx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

On a more important note run a virus scan on your computer if you don't have one go to:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

You might also want to do a full scandisk on your harddrive to make sure its not going faulty. Just go to My Computer and highlight c: drive or what ever drive letter your drive is and right click the drive go to properties and do a full scan with a surface scan.

And to check the over all health of your computer without buy something like norton systemworks go to:
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/

I know its quite a bit to do but it's always better to safe and sure of how well your computer is running then to one day maybe lose all your data.

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

LostAgain Guest

I tried reinstalling Directx (version 9), but I still get the same error message when trying to access the SoundMax control panel (Audio is disabled or DirectSound is unavailable). Also, all audio still doesn't work.

Thanks for pointing out the other sites though, they were quite helpful for improving some other things Definetly vote-worthy material if you ask me

I guess I'll keep trying to fix this. I really have no clue what's going on, so any help is much appreciated.

[EDIT]: As I look at things now, it seems like my comp is acting as though there is no playback device installed. Needless to say, that's odd. I've tried re-installing my sound drivers, but that hasn't helped. But, if I can't fix this soon I'm gonna take a hammer to my comp

Thanks

When you run DXdiag and get to the directsound panel "exactly including error numbers" what is the error you get?

LostAgain Guest

[EDIT]: WOOT! I fixed it. Thanks for all the help though