Thread: Emulation and hardware

Ionizer Guest

Post Emulation and hardware

Hi. I have an Athlon 1.0ghz but a not-so-great Nvidia Vanta (Tnt2 M64) video card. I used to be able to maintain 60 frames on Project 64 versions 1.0-1.2 But with Project 64 1.3, which emulates many new features, the emulation slows to about 50 frames, and can dip down to 40 frames. Would a new video card speed things up, or do I need a faster processor/chipset/ram?

Or, is it possible to turn off some of the new things that version 1.3 emulates while maintaining compatibility to speed things up?

Thanks

I think a new video card should be speed things up a great deal. Geforce 3 is probably the best video card you can get right now, but if you don't feel like spending $300 on a new video card, you could go for the Geforce 2 which is about $80 I think. I'm not sure if the Geforce 2 is much better if any better at all than the TNT 2 though. But I'm sure about the Geforce 3. maybe someone else knows if the geforce 2 is better than tnt2??

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Septic ]

Thanks
    EP Points

Red face

That's wierd. I have an AMD Duron CPU, 128mb RAM and a Nvidia TNT2 card (like you). PJ64 1.3 runs fine on that. Wierd!

Ionizer Guest

My card is a Nvidia Vanta, which is even lower than TNT2 M64 (Tnt2 M64 is half of a regular TNT2, and then Tnt2 Ultra is about 30% faster than the regular TNT2) So my video card is really low on the spectrum.

I was thinking about getting a Geforce 2 MX, because I can get one from Abit for only $50. If a Geforce 2 MX is good for keeping the game at 60fps, I'd be happy.

BTW, I'm running Windows XP gold code, so the speed may be different from emulating on Win98

Thanks

my card's only a voodoo2 so it's REALLY slow! sometimes my brother lets me use his comp though and he's got a geforce 3

Thanks

first of all...belive it or not but n64 emulators really depend on your software requirements. pj64 runs good on 98se, it sucks on ME, and it blasts off on XP! so install a good OS, latest drivers for your GFX card and latest directx!

btw...intel is much better for emulation than amd (i think its better in everything, but dont reply on my quote here, i wont get into any discussions about this)
    Intel is up, AMD eats shit