Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new way of ROM downloading

Heseigojira Guest

Default A new way of ROM downloading

First off, let me say that i wasnt sure on where to post this, and if i screwed up: sorry.
    I got this idea lying in bed just a few seconds ago. I have been working on a RO server lately, and one thing i had to do was change some file types. So i thought for a second, then someting clicked. I found that if you convert a rom file to a .txt format, you get a whole ton of different characters. So i got to thinking of all thos times when you see a nice rom or wanna host rom files, it takes up time and bandwith. I am asking those that are curious on this matter to try and convet a .gba (or whatever) to a .txt, then back and see if the rom works again. I would try it, but my pc is really acting up, and wont open many applications. If it doesnt work, what about a program that would turn that txt file back to its original format? Anyway, will someone plz try, i really want to but dont know whats wrong on my pc.

Thanks

Yes it would work.

SUG Guest

or you can just go on IRC or use newsgroups.

Thanks

:O OMG!! YOU COULD LIKE, OPEN IT IN NOTEPAD AND COPY/PASTE IT PEICE BY PEICE INTO MSN MESSENGER AND SEND IT OVER!!

Thanks
    EP Points

ROFLMAO That's one large text file there.

Heseigojira Guest

no kidding. but did anyone get it to work?
    Actually, I keep trying to copy and paste the text int another document, but then it screws up and slows down a lot. anyone get a similar problem, or is it time to finally start over on this hdd?

neogeomad Guest

Well first it's got to be encoded properly (control codes have to go for instance) using something like uuencode and that'll bloat the size of your file. Don't try viewing it in notepad either 'cause you'll just get one big lonnnnnnnnnnng line, as in a line with 650MB worth of characters :O Notepad is sure to die on that one!

chronos Guest

It works but if you cut and paste it from a text then it wouldnt. This is an old method i use to upload games but it will still get deleted.

Heseigojira Guest

I figured as much. But it still is an interesting concept i believe. It probaby could work with a custom program, but i have no idea how to do anything like that. the most programming ive ever done is on RO. Well, its a neat idea that will probably never get off the ground. unless a supergenius decides to help out the emulation community, it'll just be a wonderful dream.

A little off topic here, this is just asking for advice. I want to start hosting rom files on a site, and i was wondering if FTP would be a good way to go. I have WinXP, so if you know a good ftp program (if that's the way to go) would u mind given me some suggestions? Just as a note, I'm not putting emuparadise down- i love it- but i wanted to host larger files and some stuff for RO.

chronos Guest

Yes, using an ftp would be a great idea. The only thing is that you have to have a high speed connection and you comp. should be on all the time. You should try downloads.com for the ftp programs. There are many out there.

Thanks

It won't work if you copy paste with notepad. You need to use a hex editor.

This is because characters 0 - 13 are control characters and can't be copy / pasted.

Heseigojira Guest

cool. thx for the advice

chronos Guest

why you a hex editor when you can just send the file yourself. If its a very large file then it will take along time to load it.

Heseigojira Guest

wait...what? It sounds like your discussing 2 topics at once or i just dont get it. could u explain what uyou mean?

Thanks

Well sending "123" is a lot slower than just sending "{", ascii mode is much slower than sending in binary mode. Also it's prone to errors.