Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony PSP Details

EmuFreak Guest

Default Sony PSP Details

Anyone else getting rather impressed at the hardware that is starting to form for the portable system to be released by sony, now if only the games will be as great as the hardware we will all be in luck. Also heres hopeing the price for this wonder system is reasonable.

September 16, 2003 - At Sony Computer Entertainment America's Gamers Day 2003, the company revealed some tidbits of information in regards to its upcoming portable system, the PlayStation Portable (PSP). The most significant of the news is the controller configuration, which is now confirmed to consist of the four face buttons we all know and love (triangle, circle, cross, and square), a digital directional pad, two shoulder buttons (left and right), start and select buttons, and one analog joystick. The absence of a second analog stick implies that a Dreamcast-like controller setup may be used for first-person games, but only time will tell.
    Connectivity was emphasized as playing a large part in the PSP's lifecycle, whether that be through a wireless connection, or through the portable's USB port; PSP to PlayStation 2, PSP to PC, and PSP to PSP (to PSP to PSP) were all possible connections shown in the presentation, though no specific applications were named or elaborated on.

Other minor but significant details were made public, most notably that developers should have PSP emulators very shortly, and actual hardware development kits later this winter. Given the PSP's scheduled winter 2004 release, this give developers almost exactly a year to get a game completed. Additionally, battery life was said to be comparable to other high-end devices (roughly 3-6 hours), and the Universal Media Disc was confirmed to have sophisticated piracy measures, as well as a parental lock system. Lastly, Sony compared the 3D prowess of the PSP to be more akin to the PS2 rather than the PSone. The future of portable gaming is looking very interesting indeed.

News taken from IGN

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

I want to see this in action! But ya know, the battery only last 3-6 hours? That seems a little too short...

Thanks

i'm sure u'll b able to get an adapter for it for when ur not totally mobile...
    KUPO!!! (oo)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

But what about those of us who are going to be mobile for a long time in the back of the car on a roadtrip to a family member's place a few provinces over? I remember being in the car coming up on 16 hours sometimes, and if my batteries on my Gameboy died I was ****ed.

Thanks

Three words: Multiple battery packs

Thanks

Originally posted by Ru
    Three words: Multiple battery packs
    Three more words: Cost lots-a money.

It sounds cool, but it also sounds eerily like the N-Gage in a way...
    "Traveler"
    Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
    CPU: Devil's Canyon i5 @ 4.0GHz
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2400MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660ti
    Mobo: ASRock Z97E-ITX
    Drive: Trend Micro 128GB SSD

Thanks

Originally posted by Jonathan Harker
    But what about those of us who are going to be mobile for a long time in the back of the car on a roadtrip to a family member's place a few provinces over? I remember being in the car coming up on 16 hours sometimes, and if my batteries on my Gameboy died I was ****ed.
    Buy an adapter and plug in in the cigarette lighter

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Now, I'm not sure about cars in Australia, but I know for a fact that that won't work with my car. We've tried before. That and I'm in the back seat. If the wire got in the way of my father driving, then we're all ****ed. Perhaps it would, perhaps it wouldn't: I'm really not going to find out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Originally posted by LitBolt
    Three more words: Cost lots-a money.

It sounds cool, but it also sounds eerily like the N-Gage in a way...
    It sounds nothing like the N-Gage. Don't be daft.

Thanks
    EP Points

Now the real question is how much is it going to cost... because i will not pay more then 150 USD for a Handheld system..

Also what kind of screen will they use to desplay High quality 3D Graphics and how big will the screen be and what kind of resalution(sp?) will it be capable of..
    Last edited by GundamGuy; 18th-September-2003 at 23:32.

Thanks

do they have adapters like that tho? i played discman on the cigarette lighter b4... well anyways i used to put up with 20 minute batteries with my old lynx so 3-6 hours is like totally awesome :p and longest ever in the car is like 5 hours...
    KUPO!!! (oo)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Originally posted by GundamGuy
    Now the real question is how much is it going to cost... because i will not pay more then 150 USD for a Handheld system..

Also what kind of screen will they use to desplay High quality 3D Graphics and how big will the screen be and what kind of resolution(sp?) will it be capable of..
    You can find all of that info elsewhere on the net. http://www.ignpocket.com might have it for instance. Well, you can find all that info except for the cost. That still hasn't been unveiled yet. Sony has said that it want's to be competative with the GBA SP when it comes to pricing, but haven't released any specifics.

Thanks

Originally posted by Cyberxion
    Oh... woops. Misread the article. Heh.

Still, it sounds cool. The name recognition will probably give it huge starting sales, but it's only a matter of time befor Sony pulls a Virtual Boy... (not implying that this will be or anything, it looks like it'll be great, I'm just saying...)
    "Traveler"
    Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
    CPU: Devil's Canyon i5 @ 4.0GHz
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2400MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660ti
    Mobo: ASRock Z97E-ITX
    Drive: Trend Micro 128GB SSD

EmuFreak Guest

Originally posted by Cyberxion
    LOL, very good point, to start off the darn thing is not a CELLPHONE , also you don't have to pull out the battary to put in a game like with the N-Gage, and the main thing this system actually has some serious 3rd party support already supposedly where as the N-Gage is released but thus far the 3rd party support is lacking.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

150 USD is not that much. The GBA was costed 130 when it was released here in Sweden...