Thread: any forgotten realms fans here?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default any forgotten realms fans here?

I m reading the icewind dale trilogy right now....i always liked salvatores concept of the realms of faerun......great mind...almost as good as tolkiens
    Over 400+ Gaming Vids @ Doctorwordsworth's
    Need an Avatar? Stop by Planet of Avatars!
    For Video game documentation of any kind head on over to Game Docs 'R' Us!

Raiun Guest

I have just started to really get into Forgotten Realms, even though I have known about it for quite some time now. I have to say though, that of the ones I have read, Salvatore is one of the best Forgotten Realms writers.

I have read the Icewind Dale Trilogy twice now, and I've only had it for 3 weeks or so. Its that good. I just love them. Admittedly, I am a huge fan of Drizzt. (That comes from being a DnD player. You have to have respect for them high level characters )

Mr Darkside Guest

I'm a major DragonLancer myself, & i admit i'd rather get into RavenLoft before Forgotten Realms, but i'm still willing to give FR a try.

& yes, Drizzt does indeed kick ass, though i only know him from Baldurs Gate, & BGark Alliance.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

forgotten realms and middle earth stuff is by fare my fav. when it comnes to fantasy.if any one out there plays morrowind...there is total conversion of the game going on....its going to be converted to the lord of the rings!!!!it's been going on for 9 months....the test screenies are amazing....thier own models and buildings!huge team as well making it!!!december they might release a little beta!i cannot wait!
    Over 400+ Gaming Vids @ Doctorwordsworth's
    Need an Avatar? Stop by Planet of Avatars!
    For Video game documentation of any kind head on over to Game Docs 'R' Us!

Isk Guest

I'm digging Forgotten Realms overall, love the world of Faerun. Salvatore's tendency to overly mindread and explain motive turned me off from some of his works, but overall I like his stuff, especially the Dark Elf Trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy.

Best thing about Forgotten Realms = Baldur's Gate

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For some reason I never saw this thread...
    My favorite author is by far RA Salvatore. He's my idol, pretty much, and I've been hooked on his work for near to 7 years now.

Definately the best fantasy group ever. Dunno what you would call it...

@Arcticwolf: Salvatore started writing when he read Tolkien's work and drew much of his inspiration for his earlier pieces from there. His first novel that he sent in when he was trying to find a publisher ("Echos of the Fourth Magic", wasn't published until a few years after "The Crystal Shard") was the only one that really didn't play off the same ideas for Tolkien's work. If you'll look at it, Drizzt Do'Urden is a ranger (Aragorn, anyone?), Bruenor Battlehammer wears the famous mithrall (Same as from Tolkien, only spelt slightly differently) and most of the battles are with orcs/giants and other such beasties.

@Isk: You should pick up "The Demon Wars" trilogy (And "The Second Demon Wars", beginning with "Ascendance", then "Transcendance" and "Immortalis") by RA Salvatore if you think that he explains his motives too much. Very brilliantly pieced together, even if it isn't the same sort of subtly hinting that you may be looking for. I haven't finished the series yet (waiting to pick up "Transcendance" and "Immortalis") but I definately find it to be Salvatore's best work. Even better than the Dark Elf Trilogy, and that's saying a fair bit. Of course, Salvatore couldn't help throwing in his little elves here and there (Touel'flar) and they, of course, offer a great deal of help, but the simple prejudices and how well the arguments are based and how he works with so many different cultures is truly amazing.

However, if you're looking for a truly intricate piece of fantasy work, I recommend "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan, if you haven't all ready tried it.

Isk Guest

Good deal, I'll check out The Demon Wars soonish. I have read The Wheel of Time...intricate is an understatement.