Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zippyshare is shutting down

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Default Zippyshare is shutting down

Sad to see them go, they were a half decent host.

https://blog.zippyshare.com/?p=1211
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Agreed, it's always a shame to see decent sites go under. Nice of them to provide advance warning.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

damnit that sucks. guess I better dl what I can before I'm stuck using the shitter file hosts
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.
    help the socially disabled https://gofund.me/3234a082
    my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDs...gHZ_f8tjf8jW4w

Thanks
    EP Points

Reading some random comments from around the net, there are people that didn't like them. Which is just bewildering to me, like what expectations do people have for a completely free host? Some countries banned Zippyshare, but that's not Zippyshare's fault.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Sucks to see a decent host go.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Reading some random comments from around the net, there are people that didn't like them. Which is just bewildering to me, like what expectations do people have for a completely free host? Some countries banned Zippyshare, but that's not Zippyshare's fault.
    Reasons people didn't like them:
    *Split files. Pretty small splits too.
    *Blocked in some countries (you kinda mentioned that). People in this situation would need to use VPN to get around the block, which can be a huge pain in the arse if you don't have VPN subscription because of the above mentioned small splits. Imagine trying to download a large (or even reasonably sized) PS4 game by using Opera browser free VPN, one link at a time

*also, zippy links would sometimes stop working via JD2. The plugin needed to be updated. It has happened a few times over the years and happened again quite recently (dunno if JD team fixed it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother now).

People bitch about 1fichier having wait times between downloads (and sometimes during a large single download) if you grab a large amount of data, but the links work fine via JD2 and resume is supported. So you just load everything up and let it dl when it's allowed to. Download speed for this host has always been faster than zippy, for me anyway. Also, anonymous upload of a single file up to 300GB size. Files can be removed after 15 days of inactivity if you upload anonymously though. It is blocked in some places, but at least you aren't reduced to trying to download like 100 small files via VPN just to get one game

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Reasons people didn't like them:
    *Split files. Pretty small splits too.
    *Blocked in some countries (you kinda mentioned that). People in this situation would need to use VPN to get around the block, which can be a huge pain in the arse if you don't have VPN subscription because of the above mentioned small splits. Imagine trying to download a large (or even reasonably sized) PS4 game by using Opera browser free VPN, one link at a time

*also, zippy links would sometimes stop working via JD2. The plugin needed to be updated. It has happened a few times over the years and happened again quite recently (dunno if JD team fixed it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother now).

People bitch about 1fichier having wait times between downloads (and sometimes during a large single download) if you grab a large amount of data, but the links work fine via JD2 and resume is supported. So you just load everything up and let it dl when it's allowed to. Download speed for this host has always been faster than zippy, for me anyway. Also, anonymous upload of a single file up to 300GB size. Files can be removed after 15 days of inactivity if you upload anonymously though. It is blocked in some places, but at least you aren't reduced to trying to download like 100 small files via VPN just to get one game
    Reasonable if those are issues for someone. I don't mind splits myself, it's going into a folder to be dealt with at some point whether it's one file or more. I seem to recall 1fichier having <100KB/s speeds without resume some years ago. I'm not sure how long that went on. How are their speeds nowadays?

Most of the complaints are probably from the dipsticks that expect everyone to upload to whichever host the dipstick pays for. That same dipstick probably refuses to use JDL2.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Magician View Post
    How are their speeds nowadays?
    1fichier has been excellent lately. I've capped my JD2 to 10MB/s, and they've often bumped into the cap. I dunno how much faster it can go.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    1fichier has been excellent lately. I've capped my JD2 to 10MB/s, and they've often bumped into the cap. I dunno how much faster it can go.
    I cap JD2 lower than that... like around 4 usually but I'm getting torrents as well, or maybe Xbox One game updates sometimes

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Magician View Post
    Reasonable if those are issues for someone. I don't mind splits myself, it's going into a folder to be dealt with at some point whether it's one file or more. I seem to recall 1fichier having <100KB/s speeds without resume some years ago. I'm not sure how long that went on. How are their speeds nowadays?

Most of the complaints are probably from the dipsticks that expect everyone to upload to whichever host the dipstick pays for. That same dipstick probably refuses to use JDL2.
    Yeah but the splits can be a pain. Like I've tried to grab PS4 games before with a billion splits, they are all online and then one little part is taken down before you finish. The speeds weren't fast enough to dl like 40GB or whatever quickly... nothing like 1fichier.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Unhappy Zippyshare Closure! Transfer/Backup Your Guides!

For those that aren't aware, Zippyshare is closing down at the end of the month (read about it in their blog post here https://blog.zippyshare.com/?p=1211). If you have anything hosted on Zippyshare, back it up/upload it somewhere else ASAP, because it's going to be gone very soon.

Mods, if this kind of post isn't allowed, feel free to delete it, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
    FATE HAS GIVEN IT A SECOND CHANCE

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A thread was made in the free for all section, here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nelrim View Post
    For those that aren't aware, Zippyshare is closing down at the end of the month (read about it in their blog post here https://blog.zippyshare.com/?p=1211). If you have anything hosted on Zippyshare, back it up/upload it somewhere else ASAP, because it's going to be gone very soon.

Mods, if this kind of post isn't allowed, feel free to delete it, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
    Why didn't you use search on the main forums page before creating this thread? Seriously...
    Last edited by deadlegion; 25th-March-2023 at 08:47. Reason: added quote

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Because I'm sure loads of people don't frequent every section of the forums. I literally only look at the Manual and Guide Links section. I even said mods can remove this post if this wasn't the right place, no need to be an ass about it.
    FATE HAS GIVEN IT A SECOND CHANCE

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I live in an area where Zippyshare has been blocked quite some time ago (homepage returns "Error 403", those fuckers were negating access) and, frankly, I can say that it was their fault: they could have easily complied with cookies' policies, but nope, much easier to block.
    Nothing of value was lost, as far as I'm concerned.
    My strategy guides collection

Special thanks to: Chocolate Misu, Asuka and all the rest of awesome individuals who contributed over the years.
    Discord: Dark Slayer#8440