Thread: N64 EMulator on a VooDoo3

Eber Kain Guest

Post N64 EMulator on a VooDoo3

Project 64 and Nemu both have very slow fps on my system.

Athlon 550
    128meg
    Voodoo 3 16meg

What sort of emu should i try, or should i try some different roms? I only downloaded one "body harvest" to see if i could get it to work.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sadly, as you only have a Voodoo3, you're limited to UltraHLE, Corn and TRWin. They should work perfectly on your PC, but you'll only be able to play some old games like Mario 64, Zelda and WWF Warzone. I think that only the intro on Body Harvest works on UltraHLE though. But try the emulators I suggested, if you can't find them on this site you can get them from here.

Eber Kain Guest

I have tried them, TRWin wouldnt work, all it would say is "this program dose not run i dos mode" no docs came with it so im not sure what to do.

The other 2 worked semi fine, both had some graphic glitches, but neither had sound for me.

If I had say a GeForce 2 would I have any kinds of problems?

Ziegfried Guest

Originally posted by Cosmic3K:
    Sadly, as you only have a Voodoo3, you're limited to UltraHLE, Corn and TRWin. They should work perfectly on your PC, but you'll only be able to play some old games like Mario 64, Zelda and WWF Warzone.
    Now that would explain why nearly no n64 emus work on my comp, and btw, i can play all games the emus (that i can run) are supposed to be able to play, only a bit slow...

Thanks
    EP Points

A GeForce 2 should do the trick. You might want to get a newer processor though as well. I have a 900mhz AMD Duron (basically a budget version of an Athlon), 128mb RAM and a 32mb TNT2 (probably about as good as GeForce1) and Nemu64 and Project64 work perfectly. So if you get a roughly the same specs as me but with a GeForce 2 instead of a TNT2 all the N64 emulators should work fine. By the way, Duron's are about �50, not sure how much that might be were you come from though.

Thanks
    EP Points

I just remembered something. On Project64, try this to make it go faster: Go to options/configure RSP plugin. Change the CPU core style to recompiler. Then go into options/settings/options and change the CPU core style to recompiler as well. Now go to options/settings/rom settings (when you've loaded the game) and turn the CPU core style to recompiler. Your games should work a lot faster now (recompiler is a LOT faster than interpreter). Hope that helps.

Eber Kain Guest

I dont think my CPU is the problem, i agree it wouldnt hut to replace this one, but a duron would be a step down. Im waiting for AMD to release the "Mustang" processor. Basically an athlon thats 30% faster, no heat problem, and less power used. I think they are going to go up to the 1.8 - 1.9 ghz mark.

You should read this if you havent - http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm