Thread: OPL and memory sticks (lots of problems)

Thanks

Default OPL and memory sticks (lots of problems)

Please go through all the text carefully, I don't want to hear the same old reccomendation I can't afford to accomplish (such as "get a hard disk adapter") or any other non-specific answer. thanks

So I have OPL working with a 64gb memory stick (extra-formatted to FAT32 with "guiformat.exe" tool, originally exFAT drive as recognized by windows). It goes pretty well, despite the horribly slow time of defrags and slow loading times.

I tried formatting it to NTFS, it just gets stuck at copying files in Windows, I don't know why.
    I tried formatting it to its original exFAT, OPL gets stuck at the beginning (loading icon keeps rolling in the lower-right corner of the screen).
    I noticed the drive gets organized by OPL in various folders (CD, DVD, CHT, etc...) but I tried putting ISO and BIN/CUE files into it ... but it didn't work. Maybe this is totally useless, since it always require USBUtility or should I just rename the BIN/ISO files somehow ?

I know PS2 USB drives are 1.0 so I should expect low speed, unless I get a hard disk adapter I shouldn't expect much, loading times may be not a problem, but I got a game that works perfectly on PCSX2, but USBUtility just can't convert it ("ISO to GAME" mode fails everytime, error 131).

I wonder how can I improve the situation, for example : what filesystems are supported by OPL for external drives (such as this memory stick) ? which format the iso must be, and how should they be renamed ? Should ul.cfg be edited as well ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Pretty sure you can use OPL via lan. It will be faster than the crappy PS2 USB port speed.

If you want specifics or need to be pointed in the right direction it will take time for me to look up some stuff, you can probably do that yourself though.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I have no lan adapter, if you mean that thing that's supposed to be plugged where's an empty case/closet atm

Thanks
    EP Points

All PS2 consoles have an RJ45 port.

Quote Originally Posted by barleyman View Post
    I have no lan adapter, if you mean that thing that's supposed to be plugged where's an empty case/closet atm
    I'm having difficulty understanding this entire sentence. My apologies if English isn't your primary language.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-June-2021 at 17:19.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I'm talking about PS2 Fat one, on the back there's no lan adapter, just an empty case labeled "Expansion Bay" which is, I suppose, where lan or hard disk adapters are plugged.

just like this (not mine, just a pic I found on the interwebs)
    proxy-image.jpg
    Last edited by barleyman; 26th-June-2021 at 18:32.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oy yeah, of course. I'm stupid for not realising that.
    Guess I was just too tired when I posted last night.
    My bad.

I know it isn't what you want to hear (re: first post) but if you have a fat PS2 then you really should have the network/hdd adapter.
    I didn't have the adapter for years because back then they were hard to find in my country, but eventually I just imported one from Japan. Mostly because the cheap Chinese sata knock-offs were flooding the market and I was concerned the genuine original adapter would increase in price dramatically. Another reason is that people were importing them cheap (like me) and then reselling locally for inflated prices.

The Chinese sata versions are plug & play for sata drives but the downside is the network port function is non-existent.

Best scenario is to get a legit original adapter, if you really want sata then get PATA to SATA adapter and simply use a laptop sata drive.

Edit:
    The usb drive needs to be FAT32 format.
    Yes, you need to defrag so OPL can load games properly.
    Games 4GB or over need to be split due to FAT32 file size limit, so yes use usbutil (unless there's an alternative I'm not aware of).

DVD folder needs to be on root of drive, put your PS2 DVD ISO games in that folder.
    You can rename files if you like.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 27th-June-2021 at 01:54.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    The Chinese sata versions are plug & play for sata drives but the downside is the network port function is non-existent.
    I've heard some terrible things about those Chinese adapters, like them commonly arriving DoA, failing, failing to recognise perfectly working drives, failing to fit onto a PS2 and such. Sounds like they should be avoided.
    Apparently the mod kits that fit in real adapters work perfectly, but that plus a real adapter is obviously the most expensive solution, and not what barley wants right now.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah the Chinese sata adapters are hit and miss quality wise. The main point I wanted to make is that the network function doesn't exist on those.
    The little sata kit board you can get can be used on a genuine adapter, this will give you sata and still retain network function.
    As I said you can just use a pata to sata adapter with the original network adapter. You won't be able to use a desktop sata HDD that way though, but laptop sata drives use less power anyway.

Spoiler warning: