Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some info for playstation 1 and 2 emulator

Thanks

Question Need some info for playstation 1 and 2 emulator

Hello everyone i haven't posted anything in a very long time so i am super exited right now, anyway i want to play some of my favorite ps1 and ps2 again however my two console don't work anymore but i still have the game discs i think they are still good i hear there are emulators out there that play them i have retroarch any recommendation ???

Oh before i forget i have no idea if my gaming pc i have is powerful enough to play ps1 and ps2 emulator here what i have.

Msi nightblade

cpu i5-8400 2.8ghz

Gpu nividia geforce gtx 1050 2gb

ram 8gb of ram

Need a fast anwser.

Thanks
    EP Points

I know little about Retroarch. However you shouldn't generally have a problem either. That being said PS2 games can be very game dependent with settings in PCSX2 so just google up any specific game wiki for specific settings.

Any issues that pop up would be setting related, PS1 stuff should work fine but depending on the core or emulator you may need to tweak settings depending on the game for that too.

In the end your specs are fine at least.

Edit: Oh and PS2 emulation is very cpu dependent so make sure you're not running like a gazillion things in the background as well.

Edit 2: Here's the PCSX2 wiki https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Category:Games
    Last edited by Zaladane; 17th-April-2021 at 21:58.

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I know little about Retroarch. However you shouldn't generally have a problem either. That being said PS2 games can be very game dependent with settings in PCSX2 so just google up any specific game wiki for specific settings.

Any issues that pop up would be setting related, PS1 stuff should work fine but depending on the core or emulator you may need to tweak settings depending on the game for that too.

In the end your specs are fine at least.

Edit: Oh and PS2 emulation is very cpu dependent so make sure you're not running like a gazillion things in the background as well.

Edit 2: Here's the PCSX2 wiki https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Category:Games
    Oh my that link for ps2 games you gave me might be very useful i will have a very good look at it.

Also what kind of thing that i don't need to run the background just wondering ???

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I just mean if you have other programs going like chat stuff, and browsers, and a music player all together etc.. Some people have multiple things running at once that can be eating up pc resources - PS2 emulation is more CPU heavy so closing down unnecessary things could help a tad.

Thanks

Question

Well I just mean if you have other programs going like chat stuff, and browsers, and a music player all together etc.. Some people have multiple things running at once that can be eating up pc resources - PS2 emulation is more CPU heavy so closing down unnecessary things could help a tad.
    Oh ho i see i see I don’t think i will have this problem i don’t do that kind of thing anyway so I think I won’t have any problem like that.

Now as for the games themselves like I said I have some original ps1 and ps2 games not to mention i also have some burn games of them as well so can I play them with the emulators or do I need to re download them to play them ????

Thanks
    EP Points

You can use the actual discs, but I would rip or download your own games as iso/bins just faster and easier to select in the emulator without switching discs all the time - probably run faster too off a hard drive than a disc drive.

I used to use Clonecd for ripping games but that was uh 15 years ago or more. I dunno what people use now. We don't have games anymore on the mainsite but you can request in the relevant threads here in the forums or the help channel of the EP Discord if you're looking for something you don't already have.

Thanks

Question

You can use the actual discs, but I would rip or download your own games as iso/bins just faster and easier to select in the emulator without switching discs all the time - probably run faster too off a hard drive than a disc drive.

I used to use Clonecd for ripping games but that was uh 15 years ago or more. I dunno what people use now. We don't have games anymore on the mainsite but you can request in the relevant threads here in the forums or the help channel of the EP Discord if you're looking for something you don't already have.
    Hmmmmmm..... Well that sucks that i have to download all my favorite games but the upside they will be in one place, now about ps2 games you said i need to play with the setting in order to play my games does the apply to ps1 games as well ????

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by adam4landry View Post
    Hmmmmmm..... Well that sucks that i have to download all my favorite games but the upside they will be in one place, now about ps2 games you said i need to play with the setting in order to play my games does the apply to ps1 games as well ????
    Not necessarily, you can use the actual discs it's just usually better to use the image off the hard drive.

In regards to settings for PS1 games it depends on the emulator and game. If it's a plugin based emulator like epsxe then there's more of a chance you'd have to change settings. Again it depends on the game. You could end up playing 20 different games without having to tweak anything for both systems - if you do run into problems then that's the time to look stuff up for that specific game and change any settings that are needed.

Thanks

Question

Not necessarily, you can use the actual discs it's just usually better to use the image off the hard drive.

In regards to settings for PS1 games it depends on the emulator and game. If it's a plugin based emulator like epsxe then there's more of a chance you'd have to change settings. Again it depends on the game. You could end up playing 20 different games without having to tweak anything for both systems - if you do run into problems then that's the time to look stuff up for that specific game and change any settings that are needed.
    Well anyways i don't have any cd or dvd drive on my rig so i need to download them also some of them are very use so i think downloading them is the best option for me, I'm using epsxe emulator and i play parasite eve 1 so i play with the setting a little and i run into a few problem well some minor problem so i set the video setting on "nice" and the game play as if it was on ps1 console which is a very good (i think).

Okay I downloaded a ps2 iso and I ran in into a problem should I rename the file before I extract it from the 7zip file because the file has a weird name and it has a (001) on it what should I do ?????
    Last edited by deadlegion; 19th-April-2021 at 15:03. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

No just extract from the part 001 - it's just a split zip file. It'll automatically put the rest of the parts together (don't extract 002,003,etc. JUST the first) make sure all the files are all in the same folder too.

Thanks

No just extract from the part 001 - it's just a split zip file. It'll automatically put the rest of the parts together (don't extract 002,003,etc. JUST the first) make sure all the files are all in the same folder too.
    Wait it not split file when I try to extract the file I always get a error with 7zip.

Thanks
    EP Points

It probably is a split file and you don't have all the parts

Make sure you're using 7-zip too, it's probably the best compression tool all around.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Use the latest version of 7zip. Doesn't matter if it's beta or whatever, always use the latest version regardless of it being listed as stable or not.

As Zal said, always extract from the first part only.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Question

Well I manage to extract it and I not very happy the game file was not in the 7zip file so what I did I re download it somewhere else the file this time was a .rar file when it finish downloading the file I need was in this one so i try it on my new ps2 emulator I got to admit the game play very well but the image was a little blurry but other than that the game work fine.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can increase the resolution in the video settings - native (which is regular) 2x,4x,6x and so on. If you can pull off 2x or 4x without things slowing down then that might help with blurriness.