Thread: Would PCSX2 games improve on a CRT computer monitor?

Thanks

Question Would PCSX2 games improve on a CRT computer monitor?

Hello everyone!

I have been using emulators since the early 2000s, but I am new to the world of PS2 emulation.

I have just run a side-by-side comparison, Gran Turismo 3 on both my PS2 connected to a 27-inch CRT, and emulated on PCSX2 on a 23-inch HD computer monitor (a basic Acer monitor, nothing fancy: https://www.acer.com/ac/it/IT/conten...l/UM.QR1EE.B01).

The difference is daunting.

The overall perceived quality on the CRT is so neatly superior. On the CRT, colors are brighter, richer, the overall picture is more thick, vibrant, lively. Games on PCSX2 run just fine, but... they look like some blank 3D environments with some dull 3D models running in them. My description of the issue is probably poor, I hope you get what I mean.

I was hoping I could finally play some games of the sixth generation that I missed out, and it'll have to do it, whether I can improve the picture quality or not.

However, is there a way to get a picture that is more true to the original setting? I don't need games to look like some sort of remaster in super HD. What I am looking for is an experience as close as possible to the original.

As I said, I am totally new to PS2 emulation and to emulation of 3D games more generally (in other words, I never went past SNES emulation).

Is there a way to achieve my desired result via software?
    Would a specific type of HD monitor help?
    Would a CRT computer monitor display emulated games the same way I see the original on my CRT TV?

Thank you very much for your answers.
    Last edited by Memory84; 6th-March-2021 at 11:30.

Thanks

Well, so far I have found that running emulated games at 1080p gives results that are much more faithful to the original rendering on a CRT TV. So far, I am happy.