Thread: How come Colin McRae D.I.R.T. goes slower than Left4Dead ?

Thanks

Default How come Colin McRae D.I.R.T. goes slower than Left4Dead ?

I don't understand why a game that was released a year before Left4Dead runs slow like hell even at 640x480 and low details, while L4D goes well at 1024 and high details ?
    My graphic card is an integrated IntelHD4000... does anyone know if there's a particular fix for this game to run it properly or should I just give up on this game ?

Thanks
    EP Points

Depends on the game. Are you talking emulation or the PC versions?

Just because there's a year between the games doesn't mean much. A lot depends on how it was built - game engine, physics, etc..

But in the end I don't know how you're trying to run the game. If emulation I've noticed it's always been more difficult to run racing games like that. Particle effects in a dirt racing game could be an issue too especially with just an integrated gpu. Also it may not be fully supported for emulation on Xenia or rpcs3, which we don't really condone here anyways. If the PC version try looking up possible changes that could be made to the config file for the game, generally lighting and shadow effects can really drag on an integrated gpu so turning those off would really help. Google would be your friend on that point. Left 4 dead as I remember was a really well done optimized game and could run well even on a low specced machine. Apples and oranges.

Also thread needs to be moved.

Thanks

Google would be your friend on that point.
    Already tried that, only got Dirt 2 or later results... like if this game didn't exist or probably because of the many versions of the game (dirt 2, the new dirt for next gen consoles, previous cmr episodes... )
    yes, I'm talking about the PC version. Most I've found is an article that said to shut internet and some graphic options down... but the link to some kind of special executable isn't available anymore.
    Last edited by barleyman; 26th-February-2021 at 23:51.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well you could have a look at this - I didn't go through the whole thing but there are some patches and some other information and it states where the main config file for the game is of which you can fool around with:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Colin_McRae:_DiRT

At the very least seems like a good place to start.

(also just want to mention - if you have the means, Dirt 5 just came out on gamepass for xbox)
    Last edited by Zaladane; 27th-February-2021 at 01:35.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I see, probably it's because I haven't installed the patches, I'll try that later (gotta finish 3 games before this)

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah it could help - make sure to install all 3 patches starting with the first. Looks like bug fixes and that but could help with optimization too.

Thanks

Codemasters have made of one the most realistic rally sims ever. Few pace notes from Paul Coleman, chief game designer at Codemasters. Throwback Thursday: Colin McRae Rally. Once you're on the track, it's all about starting slow and steady

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeeshanahmed View Post
    Codemasters have made of one the most realistic rally sims ever. Few pace notes from Paul Coleman, chief game designer at Codemasters. Throwback Thursday: Colin McRae Rally. Once you're on the track, it's all about starting slow and steady
    lol

Thanks
    EP Points

I dunno if it's a bot or not