Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Can I install FMCB from a modded PS1 ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Can I install FMCB from a modded PS1 ?

    So, I have a fat PS2, but unfortunely the "FreeDVDBoot" doesn't still support my PS2 disc drive (2.13E, great luck indeed).
    What's greater than this is the fact that, due to coronavirus, anything I buy from ebay may not arrive (failed once, don't wanna try again).

    The only option I have left to softmod my PS2 is, probably, my modded PS1: it can run burnt CD's so if a FMCB installer (in the form of a CD iso to burn) exists for PS1 , can I install FMCB on a PS1 Memory Card and make it work on my PS2 ?

    I fear this may be impossible, but who knows... maybe some of you know something about it, please help if you do

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,756
    Thanks
    662
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 790 Posts
    EP Points
    8630

    Default

    FMCB is for PS2 only. It doesn't work for PS2 CD based games anyway, some of those can be converted to DVD and then ESR patched but not all of them iirc.

    Spoiler warning:

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    V.C. B.C. Canada
    Posts
    12,185
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 613 Times in 268 Posts
    EP Points
    470

    Default

    I think what he's asking is if he can use fmcb on a ps1 memory card over to his PS2 as a workaround.

    PS1 memory cards are very tiny 128kb iirc. So even if it was possible in the first place a ps1 memory card just doesn't have the space.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,756
    Thanks
    662
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 790 Posts
    EP Points
    8630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I think what he's asking is if he can use fmcb on a ps1 memory card over to his PS2 as a workaround.
    Well he can't do that either.
    No way FMCB can be moved from CD to any MC on PS1.


    Edit:
    I'm not sure what the problem is with ebay.
    The money back guarantee is still valid even if covid is used as an excuse.
    I've had a few things not arrive in the last year and always got all of my money back.
    If it doesn't arrive within say 3-5 days after last estimated arrival date then contact the seller directly... use ask question, other or whatever but don't put in a did not receive ticket immediately.
    You ask about it first and then move onto putting a claim into the system if you can't resolve the issue with the seller within 24-48 hours.
    Always stay civil.
    It's pretty simple really

    You'd be surprised how many people think that angry messages and the like are justified, even swearing, if something doesn't arrive or other issues (wrong item etc).
    But it doesn't do anything positive for your case if it's looked over.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 8th-February-2021 at 23:57.

    Spoiler warning:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Wall Sconce
    Posts
    19,216
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 13,077 Times in 1,137 Posts
    EP Points
    48195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Edit:
    I'm not sure what the problem is with ebay.
    The money back guarantee is still valid even if covid is used as an excuse.
    I've had a few things not arrive in the last year and always got all of my money back.
    If it doesn't arrive within say 3-5 days after last estimated arrival date then contact the seller directly... use ask question, other or whatever but don't put in a did not receive ticket immediately.
    You ask about it first and then move onto putting a claim into the system if you can't resolve the issue with the seller within 24-48 hours.
    Always stay civil.
    It's pretty simple really

    You'd be surprised how many people think that angry messages and the like are justified, even swearing, if something doesn't arrive or other issues (wrong item etc).
    But it doesn't do anything positive for your case if it's looked over.
    100% this. No reason not to get a cheap pre-loaded card off eBay. Just note the expected delivery date, and plug it into your calendar so you can't forget about it.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,756
    Thanks
    662
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 790 Posts
    EP Points
    8630

    Default

    Yeah you're probably looking at $10-15aud delivered for a genuine card with latest FMCB on ebay. Maybe a tad cheaper if you get a 3rd party card although Hori cards are different, they are just as valuable as the genuines and some colour variants are more expensive than genuine black.

    Spoiler warning:

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I think what he's asking is if he can use fmcb on a ps1 memory card over to his PS2 as a workaround.
    this.
    I know about PS1 size, but I don't think that's a great problem, I mean... code is just a bunch of characters. If you make a program small enough to make the workaround effective for the task ( by reducing the useless stuff from it like images, backgrounds, etc.) even 128kb can be enough.
    Or am I wrong?

    About money-back and ebay, sure, in fact I got my money back with no problem... but the stress of waiting uselessly. YCovid is making things worse, no need to preach about diplomacy on auction sites, the problem is : I bet there's somebody out there taking advantage of my stolen memory card, while probably the seller lost it and never had it back. A lot of people are taking advantage of the situation and this is a shameful shame, this is what p*sses me off, dishonesty. So buyers are fine, but sellers get robbed because somebody takes advantage of "security measures".
    Last edited by barleyman; 9th-February-2021 at 06:04.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,756
    Thanks
    662
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 790 Posts
    EP Points
    8630

    Default

    There is no program that you can load on a burnt PS1 disc in a chipped PS1 that can transfer FMCB to a PS1 memory card. Even if there was I think it's unlikely the PS2 could use a PS1 memory card with FMCB on it the same way it does with a PS2 memory card. The PS1 cards are only used for PS1 game saves on PS2 you can't even use them for PS2 saves.


    Edit:
    You can install FMCB using PS3MCA (USB PS1/2 memory card adapter for PS3) via PC.
    But I think it's unlikely you have this adapter and getting one would require purchasing... so we're back to the situation of what you have won't work.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 9th-February-2021 at 06:26.

    Spoiler warning:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    There is no program that you can load on a burnt PS1 disc in a chipped PS1 that can transfer FMCB to a PS1 memory card. Even if there was I think it's unlikely the PS2 could use a PS1 memory card with FMCB on it the same way it does with a PS2 memory card. The PS1 cards are only used for PS1 game saves on PS2 you can't even use them for PS2 saves.
    The fact is : PS2 loads memory card from boot ? Yes. Can a program be booted from the MC, no matter of its model as long it's a MC ? Most probably. So what I'm doing here is actually suggesting coders what to do next: make a PS2 FMCB installer... but for PS1 memory cards, I don't think that's much of a problem, pessimism and hopelessness aside, of course.

    you know what they say " Impossible is something people say when they quit "
    Last edited by barleyman; 9th-February-2021 at 06:29.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,756
    Thanks
    662
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 790 Posts
    EP Points
    8630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barleyman View Post
    The fact is : PS2 loads memory card from boot ? Yes. Can a program be booted from the MC, no matter of its model as long it's a MC ? Most probably. So what I'm doing here is actually suggesting coders what to do next: make a PS2 FMCB installer... but for PS1 memory cards, I don't think that's much of a problem, pessimism and hopelessness aside, of course.
    There aren't coders or developers here that do that sort of thing. You're asking for something nobody here can provide.

    Read the edit on my last post. It's the closest thing to what you're asking, well besides using Gameshark PS1 exploit method.

    Edit:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 9th-February-2021 at 06:39.

    Spoiler warning:

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    There aren't coders or developers here that do that sort of thing. You're asking for something nobody here can provide.

    Read the edit on my last post. It's the closest thing to what you're asking, well besides using Gameshark PS1 exploit method.

    Edit:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Who knows, probably there are some who will read this topic anyway and get a new idea to work on next (if they need any), to help all those people who have not a mem card adapter for example, or just to add another method to the list of ps2 softmods "workarounds"... I'm just giving my idea out, if any of them is up to it, good, if not, we can't know for sure (as probably showing up as a modder or hacker in public places isn't always the safest thing). There's always something new to discover, you know..
    Last edited by barleyman; 9th-February-2021 at 07:06.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Wall Sconce
    Posts
    19,216
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 13,077 Times in 1,137 Posts
    EP Points
    48195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barleyman View Post
    About money-back and ebay, sure, in fact I got my money back with no problem... but the stress of waiting uselessly. YCovid is making things worse, no need to preach about diplomacy on auction sites, the problem is : I bet there's somebody out there taking advantage of my stolen memory card, while probably the seller lost it and never had it back. A lot of people are taking advantage of the situation and this is a shameful shame, this is what p*sses me off, dishonesty. So buyers are fine, but sellers get robbed because somebody takes advantage of "security measures".
    If you don't want to deal with mail, have you glanced at your local Craigslist? If I thought anybody cared I'd totally offer install services for like $10 on there (although I'm sure I'm listed in our install thread here, offering to do it for free), it's so easy to install it's kinda like free money if anybody is offering it.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    unfortunely, to no success... but I found somebody willing to lend me the swap magic disc
    yeah I'd do that for free too if I had the opportunity, unless people asking me were too many or the police was at my door (you know, it's still an exploit, better not turn it into a commercial success lol)
    Last edited by barleyman; 10th-February-2021 at 03:35.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi Sorry to bump but might be useful for someone in lockdown tinkering with old consoles. Ps2 hack freedvdboot will allow you to boot homebrew/backup. Also for those who have slims funtuna\opentuna is another option to fcmb. This could be used to get exploit on to ps2 mem card

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobdrakkex View Post
    Hi Sorry to bump but might be useful for someone in lockdown tinkering with old consoles. Ps2 hack freedvdboot will allow you to boot homebrew/backup. Also for those who have slims funtuna\opentuna is another option to fcmb. This could be used to get exploit on to ps2 mem card
    yeah, but freedvdboot is discontinued since august 2020 afaik, and it only works for slims, it doesn't work many models of phat/fat (example: 2.13E and 3.02E are not supported, still).... and the developers don't seem interested in fix that or to provide updates (guess they're tired of wasting DVD's, lol) or so it seems since the many requests on their github page received no answer. I think many people will wait in vain. Too bad, it looked really promising.

    I just solved my problem anyway days ago with swap magic, borrowed from a friend of mine, and UlaunchElf homebrew disc. I had to screw the ps2 drive a bit, but it worked, magically.
    From there I used the guides on the internet to install fmcb with USB and voilà. problem solved....
    ... but I think there should be still an option for using a modded PS1 as system to install FMCB... people say, true, all the elf executable is more than a ps1 mem capacity, but I think that a bunch of code can be shrinked to the necessary. Let's not kill all hopes... it could be a nice work of hobby for some modders, they can take inspiration from my idea.
    Last edited by barleyman; 27th-March-2021 at 21:52.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th-May-2012, 10:13
  2. Can't remove java from my computer (or reinstall)
    By Str8Ba11a in forum Computer Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27th-May-2005, 04:00
  3. How can you rip music from Video games?
    By Fighter17 in forum Computer Corner
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 22nd-March-2005, 18:48
  4. Where can I get free THPS2 & 3 Mods and modding tools
    By Murphysk8 in forum General Gaming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd-August-2003, 17:00
  5. How can you rip soundtracks from FF games?
    By Coolvortex in forum Free 4 All
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th-May-2002, 16:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us

We are the oldest retro gaming forum on the internet. The goal of our community is the complete preservation of all retro video games. Started in 2001 as EmuParadise Forums, our community has grown over the past 18 years into one of the biggest gaming platforms on the internet.

Social