Thread: Question about bin/cue files

Thanks

Default Question about bin/cue files

Hey everyone! I'm a total rookie when it comes to emulation, so I hope you'll humor me.

Got a Legends Ultimate Arcade for Christmas, but have been completely stonewalled at getting Sega CD to work. I think my problem is in the files. The romsets I've downloaded have each game as one cue file and one large .bin. When I string the whole thing together via the addon tool, it won't boot up. In the videos I've seen, my file should be a .cue and then a good number of smaller .bin files. I'd love some advice. Is there a better way to get the bin/cue files that will work? Do I have the right files already and am just doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye877 View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm a total rookie when it comes to emulation, so I hope you'll humor me.

Got a Legends Ultimate Arcade for Christmas, but have been completely stonewalled at getting Sega CD to work. I think my problem is in the files. The romsets I've downloaded have each game as one cue file and one large .bin. When I string the whole thing together via the addon tool, it won't boot up. In the videos I've seen, my file should be a .cue and then a good number of smaller .bin files. I'd love some advice. Is there a better way to get the bin/cue files that will work? Do I have the right files already and am just doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Been awhile since I've done this but as I recall (depending how it was ripped) all you need to do is load the .cue file (definitely if it's a whole bunch of tiny.bins) as the cue file, if correct - points to the bin file. If you have just one big bin file all you need to do is just load the .bin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Been awhile since I've done this but as I recall (depending how it was ripped) all you need to do is load the .cue file (definitely if it's a whole bunch of tiny.bins) as the cue file, if correct - points to the bin file. If you have just one big bin file all you need to do is just load the .bin.
    Thank you so much! That allowed me to at least boot the game up, but there's no background music. Any idea why that would happen?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,301 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Could be the .cue file isn't formatted correctly. You can open a .cue file with a text editor, and you'll see that the cue file points at the locations where all the data and audio tracks on the CD should be. If some filenames are off then it doesn't find the audio. Generally that's not worth the hassle to fix (unless you know what you're doing), when you can just download another rip that's probably fine.

There's also a weird possibility that you require all the tracks separated out into multiple bin's + the cue, that's a more modern format (although hardly new), so it could be required by the system you're running.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Could be the .cue file isn't formatted correctly. You can open a .cue file with a text editor, and you'll see that the cue file points at the locations where all the data and audio tracks on the CD should be. If some filenames are off then it doesn't find the audio. Generally that's not worth the hassle to fix (unless you know what you're doing), when you can just download another rip that's probably fine.

There's also a weird possibility that you require all the tracks separated out into multiple bin's + the cue, that's a more modern format (although hardly new), so it could be required by the system you're running.
    Thanks for the tip! You're probably right about editing it. I'll post a screenshot of the cue just in case you see anything obviously wrong. I think I do need to find the cue/multiple bin files roms, but I'm having a heck of a time finding them in that format. Not sure if they're actually that hard to find or if I'm just really dense.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

For multi bin dumps I'm guessing you need a redump set. Maybe there's a set here but you should find a recent set on archive.org.
    Search Sega Mega CD Redump.

Spoiler warning: