Thread: Can't get PSX games to run on PS3 Slim with HEN

Thanks

Default Can't get PSX games to run on PS3 Slim with HEN

I have HEN installed on my PS3. Tutorials say to mount ISOs with Multiman, Irisman, or WebMan. I have a bin/cue and I tried both from USB and internal HDD but trying to play the games will always kick me out of the manager software and leave me on the XMB. No generic PS1 disc appears under Game.

I converted the game to PKG. Whenever I run the PKG with HEN enabled, it gives me error #80028F17.

What am I doing wrong? I followed tutorials on psx-place, but I can't post about my problem there since it's backup. I've tried reddit to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been frustrating me for two days now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Hello.

I noticed you deleted this thread, is it because you solved your problem or were you concerned you may have violated rules by mentioning a couple of sites?
    You didn't link to anything prohibited so it looks fine to me.

If you still want this deleted it's totally ok, just thought I'd open it again and post in case you were unsure.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Had no clue it was deleted. Maybe a mod deleted it? I did try editing it to say the PKG actually installed but I get that error when I try to run the installed game. I'm on mobile and for some reason it wouldn't let me edit. The UI turned into two giant invisible buttons. Maybe that's what deleted it?

Thanks
    EP Points

I could see you deleted the thread yourself Are you using a phone? Sometimes weird stuff can happen if you're using a phone on sites.

Anyway...

I haven't used HEN myself, but I have a couple of PS3's with full Rebug CFW. I assume running PS1 backups would be the same for HEN.
    For running the older games (PS1/PS2/PSP) I have always used ManaGunZ (I think it's an iris fork), but there might be a newer version of that manager now. I haven't updated any of my CFW stuff for quite a while now

Anyway, iirc, with ManaGunZ you just navigate to whatever game you want to play and mount it. Games that definitely need to be on internal HDD to run (PSP? I can't recall now) should be copied over first, but to mount a game it will just be a button press (X iirc). Then on the XMB you should see the mounted game where you would expect it to be.
    ManaGunZ might actually automatically copy over a game that needs to be on internal if you try to mount it from external anyway

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I forgot to mention I tried ManaGunz too. That one doesn't recognize any games to be present.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kamehameha View Post
    I forgot to mention I tried ManaGunz too. That one doesn't recognize any games to be present.
    What partition format is your external drive and is it usb powered?

Edit:
    The PS1 game(s) you're trying to run, are you sure the bin/cue is a good working dump?

I'm just doing some reading about PS1 games on HEN, specifically using multiman...
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-November-2020 at 05:26.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Thanks for your time by the way.

I'm using a 32GB thumb drive formatted as FAT32. Pretty sure that means USB powered but it's not a WD HDD or SSD. just a simple thumb drive.

I did try running Tenchu on the psx emulator on my PC and it worked fine. Haven't tried Vampire Hunter D yet but right now just trying to get Tenchu to work. Basically starting with PS1 and not giving up until I figure it out, then moving on to PS2, and then PS3, then maybe PSP (yeah Crisis Core, if compatible), so I can learn as I go, or at least have a mapped-out blueprint for each working process.

Thanks
    EP Points

I only use NTFS formatted drives myself and I've only used thumb drives for installing CFW.
    I use large external HDD's with a proper psu for any consoles (modded and virgin) that support external drives. I've had far less problems using drives with dedicated psu's over many years, that's just me though.

But we can move along assuming the 32GB drive is your only option atm

I was reading about HEN and multiman...
    When you mounted the PS1 game and got booted back to XMB was there a retro game icon to the right there somewhere?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I've always read that Sony systems require FAT32, and to use a thumb drive so as not to drain power from the console itself (as opposed to a more powerful drive sucking the power). Even all of the tutorials I've read recently say to use FAT32.

AFAIK, when the game mounts (using ISO and not PKG), it's supposed to show a generic PS1 disc in the "Game" section after it kicks back to XMB. Unfortunately it doesn't for me.

Multiman has a "Retro" section where the ISOs show up. That's actually where I would go to mount the iso before it kicks me to XMB.

Thanks
    EP Points

People did need to use FAT32 a while back as CFW didn't support the use of NTFS external drives.
    FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, so any game disc dump (ISO) that is larger than 4GB will need to be split.
    NTFS external drives have been supported by CFW for some time now, I don't see the need to have games split up myself.

The internal drive is still limited by the FAT32 convention but CFW managers split games you copy there.

Yeah I'm a bit lost about what I read, saying that the mounted PS1 game should be in the retro section on XMB

At this point I think the only way I'm actually going to be helpful is to boot up one of my consoles, but as I said my setups are probably outdated and they are full CFW.
    Anyway, it's around 4am here now and I have to go to work today (Friday) so it might be a while until I get back to this thread.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

It's cool man. I really do appreciate you taking the time. I admit I am very frustrated but my motto is "It's always something". Tutorials make everything look so easy, but there's always going to be something, like broken links, compatibility issues, version inconsistencies, missing DLLs, and just plain misinformation.

My latest theory is my created PKG isn't working because it's missing a license file. AFAIK RAP files are for legit PSN games. Disc-only PS3 games have a lic.dat file, but I'm not sure if the same goes for PSX games. Tenchu is a disc-only PSX game. I am able to generate a lic.dat file for it, but have no clue where I would put it, nor if it would help at all.

It's such a tease custom-arranging artwork for the ICON and PIC, creating the PKG, being able to install it, see the awesome Tenchu artwork on my PS3 as if it were an official game, but it not actually playing in the end.

I'm putting my PSX endeavors on pause at the moment basically until some miracle happens where someone tells me, "No, dummy! Do this!". I tested Retroarch and that works (no psx core funny enough). Right now I'm preparing to test PS2, but that is gonna take some time as PS2 games are larger than PSX games.

I might just switch back over to my PS4 today and try to actually enjoy my Thanksgiving. Still want to uselessly scream at my PS3 though. I already researched reverting back to OFW and saying fuck it, lol. Haven't gotten to that point yet, but every time I fail I get that much closer.

In the meantime I wonder if there's anywhere proper I can share my custom Tenchu ICON and PIC. If anyone else can get Tenchu working they might be interested in using it. Of course I would be interested in knowing how they got it to work! LOL

Have a safe day at work and thanks again.

Found a solution! For some reason the Roms I got were "compressed" or altered in some way. They still worked on my PC but were incompatible with my PS3. Someone pointed me out to the Roms on archive, and it magically works first try using WebMan.

*FF Fanfare*
    Last edited by deadlegion; 27th-November-2020 at 11:11. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Were they .ecm compressed?

I'll merge your posts.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

They we're not. They were just bin/cue. The file sizes were slightly different though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kamehameha View Post
    They we're not. They were just bin/cue. The file sizes were slightly different though.
    When I asked if they were good dumps I should've explained more thoroughly. Yes you can compare file sizes but usually people just check SHA1, CRC etc.
    You can find a lot of info about specific dumps on redump, it's helpful for checking if the game dump you have is bad or not. Emulators on PC may still run bad dumps anyway, or they might not, so it isn't really a definitive way to check if a dump is good.

Another thing, but it isn't really relevant in your case atm, for PS1 games if you ever come across a dump that is img/ccd you can use IsoBuster to convert to bin/cue properly. Don't use other progs that claim to convert to and from different image formats, and never bother trying to convert a PS1 game that has an iso dump as source. Those dumps are mostly rubbish and have broken audio tracks.

If you need help with PS2 or other platform games just create another thread and leave this one for PS1.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

OK. Will do. Again I appreciate your time and effort to help. I'll post again if (when) I come across anything else.