Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble getting ePSXe to run

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Trouble getting ePSXe to run

Hi guys,

I'm trying to play the Japanese version of Persona 1, 'Megami Ibunroku Persona'. The trouble is I'm not great with tech things. I've downloaded the game from archive.org and also have ePSXe. I think it wanted a 'bios' so I tried searching that. I managed to find one and put it in the emulator's bios folder but sadly it still won't boot the game. I also found a guide online that said I also need a GPU? I also downloaded one and put it in the plugins folder but it still won't work.
    I extracted the game and it has both a BIN File and a CUE File. When I try loading either with ePSXe it appears to begin downloading something.

I say 'run ISO' and select the BIN file. It then says 'downloading to item R6ROAR96'.
    I then get a message saying:
    'gpuPeteOpenGL2
    Missing render-texture extension!'

Can anyone help? Thanks a bunch
    Last edited by Leaf; 30th-October-2020 at 21:15.

Thanks
    EP Points

Make absolutely sure it's the psx version and not the psp or windows one.

It shouldn't be downloading anything. Ever.

Grab one of the mega packs of epsxe from the forums here - they should have all relevant bios files and plugins as well like this one:

https://www.epforums.org/showthread....ighlight=epsxe

Or this one:

https://www.epforums.org/showthread....s-and-Plugins)

That way you're not missing anything. Probably need to use the japanese bios - I can't remember if it matters anymore for epsxe.

And if you're getting plugin errors it's possible (if your pc is older it may not support opengl2 plugin) just try one of the earlier opengl versions like 1.7 etc. or even just use one of the D3D ones for now.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 30th-October-2020 at 22:43.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hi Zaladane, thanks for the reply.
    Yikes. I've ran a Trendmicro Housecall and it says I don't have any viruses. Is there anything else I can do in regards to that? Is Archive.org unsafe?
    Once I've done that I'll be sure to follow your instructions.
    Thanks again

Hi again Zaladane, I've just run an Avira virus scan which came up clean so hopefully I'm good there.
    I tried downloading from both the links you gave me but unfortunately neither work.
    Should I try another PS1 emulator all together?
    (edit) wait the second link is now downloading.
    (edit 2) Okay, so I managed to download the epsxe 2.0.5 pack. It's a 7z file. Sorry to be dumb but what do I do now?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 1st-November-2020 at 01:48. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Hi again Zaladane, I've just run an Avira virus scan which came up clean so hopefully I'm good there.
    I tried downloading from both the links you gave me but unfortunately neither work.
    Should I try another PS1 emulator all together?
    (edit) wait the second link is now downloading.
    (edit 2) Okay, so I managed to download the epsxe 2.0.5 pack. It's a 7z file. Sorry to be dumb but what do I do now?
    You need to unzip it with 7zip (it's just a compression program) it's safe and it's free.

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

and choose what version you need for your computer.

Install and then just right click on the 7z file and you'll see a context menu for 7zip and just click on extract to..and it will create it's own folder and unzip everything.

People just compress things to keep everything in one handy file (easier to download) or to save a bit of space.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay I've managed to extract the file. What should I do now? There's multiple bios' and plugins as well.
    Which ones should I put into the ePSXe files?
    Also should I delete the old ones I put in earlier?
    Thanks again

Thanks
    EP Points

I would just run the wizard in Config. This will allow you to choose what you want. I would go for a Jap bios, and a simple D3D for graphics, and just the spu core for sound and whatever for cdrom since you're playing from a disc image it won't matter.

Then load up a game - you can fine tune things later like gamepads, graphical enhancements etc. Let's just make sure the game starts up for now.

Also later on you can look at the PSX data center for basic configs for specific games which can be helpful. You can find it here:

http://www.psxdatacenter.com/sitenews.html

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm putting Japanese bios' in the bios file but xPSXe doesn't recognise them when I do the config wizard.

Thanks
    EP Points

Everything should be in the correct folders already so no need to do anything else with that epsxe package you got.

I just ran it myself and selected the last Jap bios (7003) and worked just fine. So I'm not quite sure what you're doing.

I'll download the pack anew and have another look.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay thanks.

I've downloaded a game from the master list as a test, 'Mahjong Station Mazin'. It gave me two files, a BIN and a CUE. When I try and run both, a get a window, it says 'not responding' and then shuts itself.

I also tried to download Dino Crisis to try out an American game but it still gives me the same result.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 1st-November-2020 at 01:48. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Running from the bin is usually fine. Only other thing I can think of is to run epsxe as an administrator. Other than that I'm pretty much at a loss right now but if I think of something I'll edit this post.

There's also an emulator called psx, or psx even which is basically a barebones emulator without all that plugin stuff. You could give that a shot too.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    There's also an emulator called psx, or psx even which is basically a barebones emulator without all that plugin stuff. You could give that a shot too.
    Okay I'll try that right now.
    (edit) I've downloaded it but when I try and run it it gives me this message: 'psxfin.exe - system error. The code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_26.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.'

I tried searching and it seems I might need to download DirectX? This website gives a link, should I download it?
    https://www.fantasyanime.com/emuhelp...9_26-dll-error

(edit) I went ahead and downloaded it. I can now get the PS1 logo to load! And I can get to a menu about memory card and CD player. The problem is I still can't get a game to load.
    (edit) Hooollyy crap I just got Psychic Force to load. It runs really well.
    Thank you so much for your help, Zaladane!! I don't suppose you know where I can get Megami Ibunroku Persona? I posted in the request thread but no luck so far.
    I might post again if I have problems
    Last edited by Leaf; 1st-November-2020 at 19:13. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, I was gonna say that maybe you didn't have complete downloads but since almost everything is rarred and zipped and you mentioned you had a bin and cue then it must have been ok as it won't decompress unless you have the whole file. I'm surprised about the Direct X thing though - every computer over the last like 15 years should have it. The safest place to update it would be Microsofts own sites for future reference.

Anywho that's good to hear. Request thread can take awhile - requesting in the help section of the EP discord channel might yield better results. Make sure to read the rules there though as the powers that be there can be quite finicky. Might be better off getting the USA version, just a thought.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay. I had that ISO of Persona from before but after that business with it downloading something I decided to put it in the recycling bin.

I've found this website here, should I give it a try?
    removed
    Last edited by Ragnar; 3rd-November-2020 at 01:37. Reason: removed link

Thanks
    EP Points

Mentioning other sites here is a no no. That being said I have absolutely no idea - download at your own risk.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay fair enough. Against my better judgement I might try that ISO that tried to download something. Hopefully I don't regret it
    (edit) How about that it actually seems to be working.
    Is there anyway to check I have my memory card options correct?
    (edit) Hm it says my memory card isn't set
    (edit) I think I've got it to work now
    Last edited by Leaf; 3rd-November-2020 at 19:05.