Thread: Play PS1 game on PC. How?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Play PS1 game on PC. How?

Hi,
    I used to create some great music on PS1 "Music" game & make some great audio CDs.
    Now I want to do the same using the original disc and my new PC. Or by downloading the game from here?
    I understand it is possible, but I need an emulator & something to do with BIOS.
    Fine - will my PC be able to read the Playstation disc? Will adding the BIOS to my PC affect playing/burning 'normal' CDs or DVDs? Can I control the 'game' using my PCs mouse & keyboard, or will I need a Playstation controller?
    ANY help will be gratefully received, as I am now in a creative mood and want to start again.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ian

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaosX2 View Post
    will my PC be able to read the Playstation disc?
    Should be able to (assuming you have a disc drive). Although ideally you don't play the game directly off the disc, you just use something like ImgBurn to rip an ISO of the game to your hard drive.

Will adding the BIOS to my PC affect playing/burning 'normal' CDs or DVDs?
    That won't affect a thing. The BIOS files just get tossed in a folder for the emulator, and only the emulator will use them.

Can I control the 'game' using my PCs mouse & keyboard, or will I need a Playstation controller?
    An emulator should be able to use just about anything. Keyboard is a worst case scenario, some sort of controller with an adequate amount of buttons/sticks would be best
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I have the original disc ... imgburn'd it & got a .bin .cue file

Also got .exe file from coolrom site.

Also got ePSXe as recommended to play PS1 games.

I THINK I got the bios thing too (not sure) but when I start ePSXe, I've tried:

runbios = black screen (then it closes)
    run cdrom (with the disc in pc cd drive) = does nothing
    run iso : bin = black screen (closes)
    run iso: bin = black screen (closes)
    No idea about ps-exe - does nothing

Heeeellllp, please - all I want to do it play it!

Thank you again in advance - please don't be too technical, because I'm not!

Ian

Thanks
    EP Points

Best thing to do is download Dave the Mans ultimate Epsxe package here on the forums (don't mention other sites please) That way everything you need is already in the correct folders like the bios etc. Just use 7zip to unzip it to wherever you like. Here's the link:

https://www.epforums.org/showthread....s-and-Plugins)

Then just run Epsxe - if the wizard doesn't start the first time you run it just click on Config => then click Wizard. First option is to select bios (just click the one that says recommended) and then click next. Go through the steps and the last one will be for controllers and you can setup your controller config for whatever you want to use (Personally I use Xbox 360/One controllers but anything that is recognized by your PC will work, just make sure it's plugged in before starting epsxe)

There are tons of options for setting graphics etc. so what you can do if you need help is look at Gladiators site for basic/specific setups for games. Link:

http://www.psxdatacenter.com

Phew. That should get you started.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

That epforums link didn't go anywhere!

I have FINALLY managed to get the game to start, but it didn't seem to like the "keyboard" (as opposed to controller) option.

The game started (very blurry but that's PS1 for you I guess), and it came up with the option of language. The mouse disappeared over the game screen, and the "enter" button didn't do anything - any ideas?

I also did the "overclock x1" - that won't do any harm to my PC, will it (it's brand new hahahaha)

Cheers again,

Ian

Thanks
    EP Points

overclock x1 is just a setting for epsxe and doesn't impact the pc at all - when released they had it set to x2 I think it was which was just a mix up.

Link works for me

As for bluriness you may be able to sharpen/smoothen things out a bit in graphics settings.

You're going to have to set your buttons individually in controller config make sure keyboard is selected in the drop down menu - also keep in mind that you can hit (F5?) I think it was to switch analog mode as some games are digital controller only (before the dual shock) and some are analog and won't work unless that type of controller is set.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Apologies - the link worked (d'loading now).

I will follow your instructions and hopefully I'll be able to do something.

If the keyboard is a failure, can I just get a PS1 controller with a usb on the end of it to plug into the PC, or is there more to it than that?

Also - does it matter where I save the game on the PC? C drive/D drive?

Thank you very much so far for your help & advice!

Thanks
    EP Points

I personally used a 360 controller back when I was doing stuff, and that works fine (Albeit if you're on Windows 7, or 8.1, you Might have to dig through Google for a driver install. Don't have to do this on Windows 10 - it's a plug & play device here.) IF you do end up getting a PS1 controller, make sure you get one of the later models (with dualshock joysticks) as some games require these. IF you get a PS2 controller it doesn't matter at all what kind you get.
    don't think it really matters at all where you save the game on your PC.
    I do NOT read visitor messages - if you have an issue with me, please send me a Personal Message (PM). Thank you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bvanharjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay, so I can get a PS2 controller with usb instead of the PS1 connection & it'll work okay? It's Windows 10 Pro I've got.

I don't think "Music - Creation for the Playstation" needs dual shock for anything hahahaha

Thanks! Off to ebay now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just as a side note, if you want to create music, have you ever considered to use programs like Reason or Fruity Loops? You can even use your PC weyboard to play notes... It's just a don't get why would you use a PS1 game to make music nowadays.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've got that Bandlab Cakewalk programme, but it looks like you need several degrees in complicated stuff to get anything out of it!

I used Fruity Loops before (I think) and I don't think it had the "create everything individually" that 'Music' did. Never heard of Reason before. I'll look it up, thanks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaosX2 For This Useful Post: