Thread: XBOX Emulation on PC Set Up Help

Thanks

Default XBOX Emulation on PC Set Up Help

Good Morning.
    Need help setting up any XBOX emulator for PC. I've tried Xenia but it doesn't seem to work. I have downloaded Halo which comes as a zip file with maps and a .xbe file. However, Xenia does not recognize this file format. So then I converted the .xbe file to an ISO using c-xboxtool205 but nothing happens when I select the ISO I created.

I have also tried using CXBX Reloaded. It recognizes the .xbe files but it is unplayable. Its seems to be stuck on the intro screen

Other available xbox emulators also seem to be ineffective.

I feel like I may simply be something wrong with the set up.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Taken from here from which it came and used in such a way that i could only be a representation of what it was and where it came from.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I'm not sure why you would want to emulate Xbox games. There are PC versions for some titles, including Halo. Some titles are compatible on Xbox One.
    If you want to play everything and pirate then buy an original Xbox console and softmod.

You're probably not doing anything wrong, Xbox emulators for PC have always been pretty crap.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Hmm. Probably because someone created an emulator for XBOX and I'd like to learn how to use it. If I wanted a PC version, there would be no reason for even asking. Seems to me the whole point of emulation is to mimic the system on another device. Your suggestion of buying a system to use an emulator I am emulating is assinine. Why would an Xbox emulator even exist if there wasn't a demand for it?

SPOILER WARNING!
    If you cannot help when asked, then don't respond to a forum question.

Thanks
    EP Points

This is just unpolite.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A. View Post
    Hmm. Probably because someone created an emulator for XBOX and I'd like to learn how to use it. If I wanted a PC version, there would be no reason for even asking. Seems to me the whole point of emulation is to mimic the system on another device. Your suggestion of buying a system to use an emulator I am emulating is assinine. Why would an Xbox emulator even exist if there wasn't a demand for it?

SPOILER WARNING!
    If you cannot help when asked, then don't respond to a forum question.
    Dude, don't tell a Staff member where they can respond to or not. This is a public forum and people can post whatever they want within the subject. We set the rules, not you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A. View Post
    Why would an Xbox emulator even exist if there wasn't a demand for it?
    The emulators weren't actively developed for years.
    There was never a huge demand for it. Maybe a little more now than years ago (only for the odd exclusive like Dino Crisis 3), but don't expect existing emulators to be anywhere near PS2 or even older platforms.
    The reasons are because many of the games are multi platform, for those that aren't; traditionally people would softmod the original console which was cheap (or free for some people).
    Pirate the games and run from HDD.
    The consoles are worth more now so maybe that's a valid reason to emulate but other reasons are disappearing.

There is at least one title that, in the past, would've been a reason for an emulator...Metal Wolf Chaos. No need to emulate that now.
    The Steel Battalion games need a special controller, or you can get a custom hardware adaptor (ogx360) that lets you hook up a 360 controller + chatpad to the original Xbox console (with softmod of course) so all the buttons can be remapped.

M$ didn't have flawless emulation on the 360 console but Xbox One has very impressive emulation, it just doesn't support all Xbox & 360 titles atm. Hopefully more BC will be added next gen.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

2 cents.

I believe Xeon was the only emulator that ran Halo (and not much else) because their were specific hacks just for that game included.

CXBX is really the only emulator that can run a few games as you can see:

https://guivanrv.github.io/cxbx-relo...tibility-list/

The state of Xbox emulation is and has always been pretty crappy. Just because emulators exist doesn't mean they're perfect (or far from it in the case of Xbox) or still in development (CXBX is the only one that I know of that is even remotely still worked on) It's taken like 18 years for PS2 emulation to get to where it's at today and that's with a hell of a lot more support and still has its problems with certain games. Xbox emulators have been abandoned and restarted a few times now too.

The point is - in the end it's still a giant headache and not really worth the time. This is what Deadlegion was getting at and he provided alternate ways of running Halo which is in your best interest if you want to play this game.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 7th-September-2020 at 18:25.