Thread: RPCS3, I'm surprised how well it runs!

Thanks

Default RPCS3, I'm surprised how well it runs!

On the few games I tried on it, they all ran full speed with no modifications made beyond default, or only minor custom config modifications. It runs a lot of games at least as well as many emulators that have been around for many more years than this one has. It runs well on AMD Ryzen processors as well, because that's what I got in my PC. If you can run Dolphin, or Cemu and get full speeds, then most games on RPCS3 will probably run full speed for you as well.

All these games ran great for me, with zero issues:

Demon's Souls
    Tales of Xillia 1 & 2
    Tales of Graces F
    Dragon's Crown

Had to make custom configs for a couple of them, like Tales games have 60fps in battles, and 30fps outside of battles (on an actual PS3), and there is a setting and you can enable a setting in the custom config for this. If you get audio crackling (randomly), I had to set PPU threads to 1 instead of 2 in the custom config file. There isn't an option, you gotta open it with notepad and change it.

You can upscale the resolution to 4k for basically no performance hit on GPUs that aren't toaster tier. And I don't get any of the ghosting I typically get with some other emulators when I scale the resolution up to 4k. I can even stream it to my 4K TV, and play on the couch, and it looks great.
    Last edited by gamerdude885; 30th-June-2020 at 21:18.

Thanks

Hint: It's called dedicated team effort. Unlike (cough Xenia) (cough) a lot more effort and care is put into it like CEMU.etc. We've come a long way since 2014.

Thanks

Do you get a locked 60 on DeS? I've tried with my 2013/14 i7 and do drop some frames in 1-1. Way above 30, but not a locked 60. My main issue with DeS isn't the frame rate, but the motion blur and DoF. I think you can mod DoF, but not the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Olddantrucker View Post
    Hint: It's called dedicated team effort. Unlike (cough Xenia) (cough) a lot more effort and care is put into it like CEMU.etc. We've come a long way since 2014.
    To be fair XBox emulation is a meme for the most part, considering M$ is doing their own thing with the One/X and soon Series X. I get not all games are supported yet, but eventually most if not all should be. I don't see a point in emulation on PC. Who knows maybe they'll add XBox/360 emulation to a Win10 build. That would be wack.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 6th-July-2020 at 16:37. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Funny thing about Xbox One BC is I've noticed with Far Cry 3 that the 360 version actually runs better. I only have an S though so idk if an X would make any difference to the ported Classic version.

I still find it funny that people obsess over 60fps or more. Understandable for online mp I guess (? ) but otherwise I've beaten a few fairly challenging titles on hardest difficulty without needing 60fps...none of the DS series though (I mean 100% completed everything). Unless you want to include King's Field series? Those are easier than Souls games though.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Funny thing about Xbox One BC is I've noticed with Far Cry 3 that the 360 version actually runs better. I only have an S though so idk if an X would make any difference to the ported Classic version.

I still find it funny that people obsess over 60fps or more. Understandable for online mp I guess (? ) but otherwise I've beaten a few fairly challenging titles on hardest difficulty without needing 60fps...none of the DS series though (I mean 100% completed everything). Unless you want to include King's Field series? Those are easier than Souls games though.
    Could always be that the emulator has more frame drops than the OG. I personally trust M$ with what they're doing with emulation. I don't own a One myself, but I've seen what their emulation can do. They've managed to alter some code of BC games to allow for better LODs or even unlocked frame rates, which is amazing. I realized you can do the same on some emus like CEMU and BOTW, but it's still amazing to me how official emulation can handle that. As for fps, in a perfect world we'd all play games at 1ms refresh time or less. But that's not the reality of things. Game engines and optimization can only go so far and some games are terribly optimized. I hate 30fps and can't stand it, but when I play older games on Dolphin or PCSX2 I don't mind it. I just can't stand it for native PC games. I also don't care about 144hz, because I know a lot of games don't work well with it. Borderlands, TF2 and FO/TES come to mind. These games can be wonky at higher frame rates and sometimes they struggle with even keeping 60. My PC isn't high end by any means, but even better PCs struggle with Borderlands and shit like Saints Row 2. Saints Row 2 is the poster child for terrible ports. If you want 60fps you better play in 640x480.