Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a Gaming Story Related Question? Ask Sage.

Christopher Time Guest

Default Have a Gaming Story Related Question? Ask Sage.

Due to a sheer lack of interesting video game discussion, I have created this thread in an attempt to bring forth some curious people with questions and give in return valid answers to them. Basically, if you have a gaming story related question, post about it here. Let�s say, something confusesa you, made no sense, or just left you wondering �What if..� just ask or mention it here and I�ll give my insight on the subject. Unlike most however, I try to keep an open mind, and work off the facts rather than turning to speculation. That isn�t to say I don�t have a few theories of my own on certain subjects, but rather, I make certain not to pass them off as the only answer. Also keep in mind I haven�t played every game, and thus won�t be of huge use on all subjects. But I will take the time to research these things and at least try to answer you.

My personal expertise in this area would be with the Chrono Series. I�ve researched them to such an extent I know the stories inside and out. If anyone here dares to think CC wasn�t a sequel to CT, or doesn�t think the two relate, I guarantee I�ll change your mind. So feel free to ask any questions about the Chrono series, I�ll be looking forward to it.

Now then, whenever you ask a question, please place the spoilers within the �Hidden� tag if possible. I�d hate for this thread to turn into one huge spoiler fest for multiple games. That said, let the questions begin.

Thanks

Hey, Explain the strory to metal gear solid 2. I beat it many times and i still don't get it.

Christopher Time Guest

You're wanting me to explain the entire story to a game?
    I seriously don't have time for that. But I can help to some extent, try this..
    Attached Files Attached Files

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ↠→ ↠→ B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Heh, I knew that someone would ask about MGS2. Sure it's a pretty confusing story but after you've played it through a couple of times and after some serious thoughts, you will understand the story in and out... almost.

Thanks

Once is enough, if you actually follow and not just say "OMFG WHEN TEH BOSSSS?!?!?!"

Thanks

MGS2 wasnt that hard to understand. Alright Sage I have something for you about MGS2.

BEWARE SPOILER! READ ON AT OWN RISK!

Just what does it mean how all the Patriots are dead? How does that work/relate to the story?

EDIT: I fixed you post Aidan. Thanks to Sage we have this wonderful tag to use when it's spoiler time.
    Last edited by crusher; 28th-August-2003 at 22:56.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ↠→ ↠→ B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

I think I can answer that... sorry if I stole the question from you Sage.

From a different forum:
    "The patriots are all dead because themselves are a fake information.
    The patriots are just another coverup to confuse those who'd try to
    dig too far. What Kojima hinted here was that some, or
    something else was in charge, and the patriots were just another decoy."

I completly support this theory. It seems to be the most logical answer to that question.

Thanks

Originally posted by G'Day Its Aidan
    BEWARE SPOILER! READ ON AT OWN RISK!
    I believe you should've used the "spoiler" tag, or what's it called here? "Hidden"? Anyway... I don't care much for MGS2, the story's so damn confusing, you don't even know who's who the first time around...

On to Chrono Cross...
    There's only ONE THING that bothered me about the game... Where's Magus? I mean... Kid's there, Serge is there (both from Radical Dreamers), but Magus' kinda missing in the picture... Or did I just miss it?

Also, I have a suspicion (spoiler ahead):
    I believe the answer to this question is a blatant "YES", but... Is Magil from Radical Dreamers the same person as Magus? I've only played through the first scenario in the game, so I'm wondering how he and Kid found each other again...
    The Gates vanish when you defeat Lavos in Chrono Trigger, right? And Magus doesn't have the power to travel through time, so... What gives...?

OK, now... Does the HUGE cast of characters found in Chrono Cross have any actual relevance to the story, or are they just there to bog you down? This is probably the worst feature in the game... Thrity-something characters, and only a hand-full of them are actually useful/important...

Oh! And another one: Who's Leah's father (she mentions him when she joins you) and does she have any relation to Ayla?

My brain is dry, so I'll leave it at that...

Thanks
    EP Points

I can't go too far with answering most of your questions but...

Yes, Magil and Magus are one and the same

Thanks

Hmmm... Now that I think about it...
    Since the Chrono Trigger Universe not only spawns through time, but through dimensions, perhaps Magil is an alternate dimension Magus?

Also, perhaps Kid was the one who found Magil and not the other way around? (Radical Dreamers explains that she was thrown into the stream of time, and then taken back by the Chrono Trigger...)

Boy, I sure am smart!

Christopher Time Guest

Actually..
    Chrono Cross somewhat "seems" like a sequel to RD, but really, more or less, it's a remake. Until I played RD and finished for myself though, I admit, I wasn't convinced CC was a remake rather than a sequel.

Now about R
    Yes, Magil is indeed Magus, he reveals this at the end. How did he get there you ask? Well think about it, at the end of CT he jumps through a gate looking for Schala.. Do you really think he'd just go to some random time and hope it's the right one..? He obviously had some sort of backup plan. (He was an expert at Magic remember, he even knew how to Summon Lavos to his Castle..) Though this is pretty much speculation to clear up RD. And as far as i'm concerned CC is a remake of RD, thus, RD didn't take place and none of those events need to be cleared up any more than that. However.. CC does suggest that Magus is looking for Kid. (Lucca's Letter suggests it to be exact) Magus doesn't "appear" to be in CC though, so I suspect where ever he is and whatever he is doing will be answered in the next installment of the series.

About the 40+ CC Characters:
    Everything in CC takes place on a small island, it just goes to show you how incredible things can evolve in the smallest of places. Yet I slightly digress.. FATE created El Nido Island for it's own purposes, which means, pretty much everyone there exists because of FATE. In having 40+ Characters playable, you get to experience even the smallest character's role in it all.. It's all about giving you a sense of the people who live there.

About Leah:
    That's rather a tough one. Leah isn't directly noted in the game as being related to Ayla in any way. Though it's probably safe to say she's at very least a decendant of some sort.

Thanks

I understand your point by saying RD never really took place, but it might also be safe to assume they all take place in alternate dimensions, right? I mean, even in RD, there are many differing scenarios...

While searching for Leah's name (I had forgotten it just before) I read on an FAQ that Guile might actually be Magus, or at least related to him... What's your thought on this? Personally, I think it's pretty farfetched myself! Just because he has purple hair, wears a mask (another possible connection to RD) and is a magician, doesn't mean he is, right? Those were pretty nice comparisons I read, but not convincing enough. I mean, even Guile is a pretty irrelevant character himself... Perhaps it's just a bit of fan service?

Oh, yes! I almost forgot about this one, it's about Harle.
    I think I might've missed it during the game, maybe I just forgot, but... What's her connection to Kid? And what happens to her after she leaves your party? It's been a while since I last played, and I'm already past that part in the game, so I wouldn't want to go through all of it again (that would be the THIRD time). Help...?

Christopher Time Guest

Afraid not, as I said before, until I played RD fully I thought the same. But it just isn't the case. Too much is different to be an alternate realm. A "major" factor in this is Lynx, not to mention the Frozen Flame is a completely different object, and as it goes, there can only be one Frozen Flame anyway.

As for Guile, no way he's Magus, I've argued with people many a time who think he is, but really.. Look at him.. Magus had blue hair, not purple. He also had pointed ears and semi-pale skin. I also highly doubt you'd catch Magus dead in an outfit like that. He's also a totally optional character and doesn't seem to express anything toward Kid in the least that would suggest otherwise.

For example, beat the game with Guile in your party, when Schala is freed, you'll notice he doesn't comment on this and talks about something else. I forget what it was, but I think it was about himself.. Doesn't sound like Magus at all!

As for Harle..
    It's not made extremely clear, but Harle is a creation of the Dragons. She is, sort of, a Humanoid Dragon you might say. She ironically falls for Serge however and her emotions complicate things near the end. Basically though, when all the Dragon's reform into one, Harle goes with them. Kinda sad really..

Thanks

This may not be DIRECTLY story related but...
    When I played FF7, there was this cool sword called the Yoshiruru or Yoshikiku or something. After You give that Black Materia thing to the Sephiroth bubble thing , you never see it again. Why is that?

Christopher Time Guest

The Yoshiyuki? Well, FFVII has a nice little habit of screwing you over with items. If you don't get an item like the Yoshiyuki, by a certain point in the game, you'll never get the chance to get it again. There isn't any story related reason behind this i've noticed, it's just one of those RPG quirks so to speak.

Oh, and if this isn't what you meant i'm sorry, I wasn't too sure what you were referring to with "you never see it again."