Thread: ahh this stinks!! gc dying

battousai Guest

Default ahh this stinks!! gc dying

GameCube production halted
    Nintendo clears console inventory, hints at new product

By Michiyo Nakamoto
    FINANCIAL TIMES

TOKYO, Aug. 7 � Nintendo is to press the pause button on production of its Game Cube consoles while it clears inventory of unsold machines, the company�s president said on Thursday. But Satoru Iwata promised the struggling games company was developing a radical new product to be announced next year � however he gave few details save to say it would be a departure from mainstream gaming consoles �that will have a big impact on the world�.

THE HALT IN PRODUCTION will last until autumn as Nintendo struggles against competition from Sony�s PlayStation 2, the leading console in the global market, and Microsoft�s XBox. PlayStation 2 has shipped more than 51m units since its launch in 2000 compared with under 10m for Nintendos competing Game Cube, which was launched in 2001.

Mr Iwata, who gave no figures on how much inventory was left to clear, acknowledged that the group had stumbled with the Game Cube console and conceded that it had made a strategic mistake by not ensuring that it had a consistent flow of attractive software for the Game Cube.

But he cast doubt on the ability of Nintendo�s competitors to continue attracting users with games that are becoming more and more graphically sophisticated and difficult to play.

�Games that are sophisticated require a lot of time and energy,� he said. As games became more complicated, players were given up playing and this was leading to the gradual shrinkage of the market, he warned.
    �We are thinking of launching a completely different kind of game. We are confident that we can develop a product that anyone can enjoy and that will provide people with a new kind of excitement,� he said.
    Advertisement

Mr Iwata declined to provide any more details about what kind of new product Nintendo is working on, saying only that the company would make a further announcement with details next spring.

He did, however, suggest that the new console would aim to return the games industry to its roots of providing fresh excitement through games that can be enjoyed by anyone, including those who do not normally play video games.

Investors are concerned that Nintendo has not risen to the challenge provided by competitors, such as Sony and Microsoft, by targeting the casual user, which is where most of the growth in games demand has been coming from.

Earlier this year, Nintendo�s share price plunged on news that Sony would launch a handheld game, challenging Nintendo in a market that it has dominated. It was hit again when Sony announced a new multi-function machine that would combine a DVD recorder with the PlayStation. Nintendo�s share price, which closed at Y9,690 on Thursday, is 19 per cent below this year�s high of Y11,890.

Nintendo�s mission is to develop simple games that anyone can enjoy, and by doing so bring back those people who have given up playing games into the market. If Nintendo succeeds in doing that, it might even achieve sales of Y1,000bn, Mr Iwata said. That compares with sales last year of Y504bn.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    well yeah i got this in another forum.... this stinks!!!

Christopher Time Guest

This doesn't mean anything really, it's just everyday buisness.
    People react to this stuff as if it's the end of the world..

Thanks

They just have too many. Not much to be worried about.
    "Traveler"
    Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
    CPU: Devil's Canyon i5 @ 4.0GHz
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2400MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660ti
    Mobo: ASRock Z97E-ITX
    Drive: Trend Micro 128GB SSD

Thanks

There isnt too much to worry about... the gamecube isnt going anywhere nintendo has confirmed time and time again....i suppose they just need to sell the GCN's they have left over while saving money with not making GCN's they dont actually need to make

This new revoultionary product sparks my interest though.

battousai Guest

so you think it's the dolphin? and yeah i think i did overreact a bit... but nintendo is still making games for the cube right? it would be a shame if it almost had the life of the virtual boy...:\

Thanks

course they are...and hell..they have pretty damn strong lineup for the last part of the year and next year we could have a new mario zelda and metroid game...now thats a pretty damn good year lol.

battousai Guest

hopefully....

WolferGiga Guest

Originally posted by battousai
    so you think it's the dolphin? and yeah i think i did overreact a bit... but nintendo is still making games for the cube right? it would be a shame if it almost had the life of the virtual boy...:\
    A) The dolphin was the codename for the Gamecube so... no.

B) Where in there did you get the idea Nintendo stopped making games for the gcn?

C) The virtual boy had such a short life, it was almost a negative amount of time. I think it had about 6 games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by WolferGiga
    A) The dolphin was the codename for the Gamecube so... no.

B) Where in there did you get the idea Nintendo stopped making games for the gcn?

C) The virtual boy had such a short life, it was almost a negative amount of time. I think it had about 6 games.
    I think the VB had more then 6 games.. more like 10-15... but still not enough to keep it alive..

and this new product intrest me... i wonder what it could be...

Christopher Time Guest

No, it was more like six games. At least, released in the US. The grand total amount of games made however, would be 37. And.. I can't believe anyone would compare the GCN's lifespan to the Virtual Boy's lifespan.. And please, this is everyday buisness for a company like Nintendo. If you were overstocked would you waste money by making more you don't need? Ugh.. People should stop worrying, it's the company's place to worry about their own well being not the gamers. And considering how well Nintendo has held in the market all these years, it seems foolish to think the GCN is dying for no good reason..

Thanks

And this has been posted before, so
    "Traveler"

lockecole Guest

I have Gamecube, and I know why this happened. What is different about SNES and GCN? SNES has Final Fantasy, Game Cube does NOT! If they made a deal with Sony and launched Anthology, Origins, and Chronicles, then they wouldn't be dying!

Christopher Time Guest

Dear lord..
    You.. I.. UGH! I can't even comment on how utterly..
    Please, someone correct him for me..
    /me wishes Cyberxion were on..

Thanks

Ah yes, Final Fantasy was the ONLY reason that the SNES had ANY popularity. The N64 didn't have it either, but that's not nessesarily why it was less popular. And besides, the GCN is getting an FF game, so that's not any reason...

EDIT: Since it's old news, I think it's appriopriate to be closed. If anyone disagrees, you can re-open it.

<center><b>-Thread Closed-</b></center>
    "Traveler"