Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guilty conscience from using this site?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by professerproof40 View Post
    But how can you all be so bold? I don't get it..
    I live in Australia and not being super paranoid about piracy is considered fairly normal here. Yeah it's possible to get into trouble, but the only cases of it happening here are people selling physical bootlegs at markets irl and the few odd cases of individuals dumping a game etc themselves then distributing it on the net without trying to hide their identity at all.

In recent years with more streaming services available here (eg no netflix here for many years but it's available now) a lot of people keep legit about what they're watching. Buying digital games has also become more normal so overall less younger people are actually pirating stuff, it still happens due to lack of availability though.

A lot of older people like me still don't really care about the legality though. I download stuff, but I also buy a lot of stuff.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    A lot of older people like me still don't really care about the legality though. I download stuff, but I also buy a lot of stuff.
    Being asked why I'm so bold is a lack of knowing who I am.
    Free beer for everyone! --> How to upload files as ROM patches.

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dill the Grey View Post
    Being asked why I'm so bold is a lack of knowing who I am.
    You're a shameless pirate

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Imagine if someone downloaded an old rom ie:phantasy star 2. Something they never bought or would have thought to buy or even knew existed. They see it on the Xbox store for sale and say well why not? They buy it and have fun with an old retro game legally purchased. Did piracy just score a sale???

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    You're a shameless pirate
    Aye, I'm a scofflaw space pirate but I follow rules though; first rule is follow the rules of the ship you're aboard and the rest I can summarize:

I lie if needed to promote my freedom and the freedom of others, whoever claims to never lie is a liar. I will not kill the innocent and I will not murder. I help the needy if such action promotes my freedom and the freedom of others. I honor no authority above myself, I honor no person that does not honor themselves most. I will break laws whenever they are bad, stupid, harmful or evil. I do not betray others unless they are an enemy, I do not betray friends or family. I do not aid enemies of freedom or those who promote bad, stupid, harmful or evil laws. I will pursue pleasure, and my greatest pleasure is freedom for myself and others. I promote unlimited freedom for myself and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Imagine if someone downloaded an old rom ie:phantasy star 2. Something they never bought or would have thought to buy or even knew existed. They see it on the Xbox store for sale and say well why not? They buy it and have fun with an old retro game legally purchased. Did piracy just score a sale???
    That's an excellent conundrum, speaking of piracy I was born in Cuba and unlike Jack Sparrow I'm a real-life Pirate of the Caribbean. Not exactly on the same wavelength of the OP methinks and certainly not the first person to ask about legalities of copyright infringement on the Internet.
    Last edited by Till; 27th-February-2020 at 06:12. Reason: The best part of insanity is as a legal defense in court. :lol

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks
    Thanked 13,301 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

But how can you all be so bold? I don't get it..
    I've broken more serious laws every single day of my life for the last 20 years. I regularly speed 10-20% over the speed limit when driving. Additionally I have never gotten a speeding ticket.

It's up to you to decide what personally is and isn't acceptable. Copying a couple 1's and 0's that do not harm a single soul on the entire Earth just seems like a non-issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    100% it did. I've bought a bunch of games I pirated, which I never would've bothered with had I not tried them first.
    Last edited by Ragnar; 27th-February-2020 at 18:00.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I've broken more serious laws every single day of my life for the last 20 years. I regularly speed 10-20% over the speed limit when driving. Additionally I have never gotten a speeding ticket.

It's up to you to decide what personally is and isn't acceptable. Copying a couple 1's and 0's that do not harm a single soul on the entire Earth just seems like a non-issue to me.
    Thank you for this insight. I think I've already decided that getting a physical, legal copy is more important to me in the long run (even though I don't even have the money..) because I'd rather look back fondly on the experience of playing the game without the guilt of contemplating whether I actually deserved to have experienced it or not.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are also MAME ROMs, are you going to going to buy an arcade game cabinet to play Pac-man?

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dill the Grey View Post
    There are also MAME ROMs, are you going to going to buy an arcade game cabinet to play Pac-man?
    Good point. But honestly, I think owning the box and instruction book for the game I want sounds really nice. Also, I'm concerned that burning a back-up to a regular dvd-rom to use on the PS2 might damage the laser after a while - snd I wouldn't want to do that..

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good point. But honestly, I think owning the box and instruction book for the game I want sounds really nice. Also, I'm concerned that burning a back-up to a regular dvd-rom to use on the PS2 might damage the laser after a while - snd I wouldn't want to do that..
    The newest games are downloaded and installed on your console from an online store, you don't get a physical copy of it or a manual. And the retro games from generations past become increasingly rare if not impossible to find over time because of that trend in new consoles. If ROMs were books you'd want them to be in a library that isn't burned down so that posterity can study gaming history which will be of great interest to future generations, in a perfect world which does not exist but burning down libraries has always been an act of ultimate barbaric ignorance in the past. Just as it still is in the present, and those that can't remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks

[QUOTE=Dill the Grey;1958295]The newest games are downloaded and installed on your console from an online store, you don't get a physical copy of it or a manual. And the retro games from generations past become increasingly rare if not impossible to find over time because of that trend in new consoles. If ROMs were books you'd want them to be in a library that isn't burned down so that posterity can study gaming history which will be of great interest to future generations, in a perfect world which does not exist but burning down libraries has always been an act of ultimate barbaric ignorance in the past. Just as it still is in the present, and those that can't remember the past are condemned to repeat it.[/Q

Just when I think this thread is dead - I get another response https://www.epforums.org/smilies/yelhappy.gif

I think you've made a good testimony for this site as a whole in this thread - I should have expected no less responses from an emulation site, after all, but in the long run - as I told you - I am concerned about my Playstation 2's health if I have it read a game from a regular-old DVD - ROM because of the reflection of the disc, and - I don't know - I do listen to songs on Youtube and have made a playlist of songs that include ones that people uploaded without permission, but when I think about downloading them, then see commercials for services such as Spotify or Amazon Prime and I think "Well downloading music from Youtube must be bad if people have to pay monthly fees for music", but then, PLAYING copyrighted content on Youtube is also still commiting copyright infringement, yet if people were serious about that, pretty much everyone would be in trouble, right? Even cops probably watch stuff on Youtube that wasn't uploaded with permission like songs or music videos, right? I listen to some Christian songs and a lot of those aren't uploaded by the artists.(and I've found some full-length tracks in the Web Archive without permission, too) When you think about it like that is anyone following the rules? But then again, what really makes downloading so much different from stealing? I don't want to be an advocate for something that's wrong - especially when I see those anti-piracy labels and such. I don't want to support the notion that people can just take stuff without paying for it and commit a crime.. so I feel that what you're trying to convince me is that we shouldn't look at this site as a crime, but as a way of preserving these games because they might go away because they are becoming so rare and inaccessible.

If memory serves me, uploading roms is actually illegal, too. Yet there are actually law-abiding-seeming ways of playing a rom like if you own the game in a cartridge and want to play it on your phone. So if these sites get taken away, games like these will be ignored, right? So I do think there are some little positives about doing it, but I don't support the wide-spread mass exploitation and money-draining side of it. If we support the downloading of old games, what's to stop us from downloading the new for free? That - is where I'm stuck at. We will be doing the same thing, won't we? The laws haven't changed much have they?

Thanks
    EP Points

My two cents are that some games are ridiculously expensive. On Amazon, Paper Mario:Thousand Year Door is over 100 dollars. Hell-to-the-no. Some games are hard to find, like Persona (at least in my experience). So I pirate them. Maybe it's not a good justification, but it's mine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Schalamagus For This Useful Post: