Thread: Help with pre-android mobile emulators. (Nokia, Erricson, N-Gage)

Thanks

Default Help with pre-android mobile emulators. (Nokia, Erricson, N-Gage)

Ok, I need some help to get Star Wars the Force Unleashed running... in a workable condition at least.

This is actually about 2 different games but I will start witht he one that's closer to 'finished': the J2ME version.

Now, I have several of the ROMS already, but I have issues finding an usable way to emulate them.

I tried freej2me which worked great... but had graphical glitches since it displays sprite in a non-refresh way which causes all kinds of awfull graphical glitchiness since the game only draws parts of the screen.

The other thing I tried was sjboy which works perfectly (though only offers lower resolution options)... but the issue there is the way numpad is implemented. You see, the game is played by 'drawing' shapes (as in, hitting 1-8-3 for a V shape)... but sjboy maps 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc and the numpad is ordered in reverse to a phone pad... so a V shape would need to be drawn like a ^ and that's just incredibly inconvenient especially when the shapes get more complicated.

The other one is the N-Gage 2.0 version of the game which I have found a rom after hours of digging the web that may or may not be russian. But I haven't gotten it to run on either emulator I got... or got the emulators to run at all.

I have Engemu-master and EKA2L1 for this purpose.

The help for the first one would be getting maybe a more reliable emulator for thes:
    Nokia S40 2ED 128x128 & 128x160
    Nokia S60 2ED 176x220
    Nokia S40 3ED 240x320
    Nokia S60 3ED 240x360
    Sony Erricson K,J,Z300 128x128 (all similar architecture)
    Sony Erricson K310,K510,W200,W300,Z530 128x160 (all similar architecture)
    Sony Erricson K550,K610,W350,W810,Z710 176x220 (all similar architecture)
    Sony Erricson S700,W900 240x320 (both similar architecture)
    Sony Erricson K770,K790,K800,S500,T650,W850 240x320 (all similar architecture)

I underlined the ones with priority and boldened the ones that would be convenient for specific games that only released on them.

The help for the second one would be just a nice how to get one of them running. (or a better one)

As for my pc: Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630v3 @ 2.40GHz, 128GB RAM (I have 256 inside, but trouble getting them noticed as of late) and a NVidia GTX1080Ti

And yet I try to run a old-school phone game... oh the irony. XD

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

N-Gage 2.0 I don't think you'll get that to work on any emu. There aren't any emus for original N-Gage games either for that matter.
    N-Gage you need original console/phone or QD model. Plus game dumps that are patched/hacked (can't remember if I have TFU but I do have some roms somewhere, I have original N-Gage).

N-Gage 2.0 runs on N series phones but good ones are harder to find now.

They're symbian games iirc but not normal symbian. Which is why there aren't any emus.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I have seen a LPer use EKA2L1 to do a LP of it so I know it can emulate N-Gage games, I just haven't gotten the damn thing to work because it's got no easy-use exe or UI.

Thanks
    EP Points

EKA2L1 is just a symbian emu from what I understand. It shouldn't be able to play N-Gage games, but maybe the 2.0 games are different (closer to standard symbian OS versions).
    Nokia N-Gage OS isn't a standard symbian type.
    N-Gage and N-Gage 2.0 aren't the same OS, the 2.0 games won't work on N-Gage or QD consoles/phones.

Anyway, is the rom you're trying to use hacked or whatever? I'd try it on real hardware first so you know it definitely works ok. If it's 2.0 you'll need a Nokia N series phone.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    EKA2L1 is just a symbian emu from what I understand. It shouldn't be able to play N-Gage games, but maybe the 2.0 games are different (closer to standard symbian OS versions).
    Nokia N-Gage OS isn't a standard symbian type.
    N-Gage and N-Gage 2.0 aren't the same OS, the 2.0 games won't work on N-Gage or QD consoles/phones.

Anyway, is the rom you're trying to use hacked or whatever? I'd try it on real hardware first so you know it definitely works ok. If it's 2.0 you'll need a Nokia N series phone.
    I really don't know for sure but doesn't matter. Can't record from original hardware. Got to get it running on PC. But thanks for the advice regardless.

Thanks
    EP Points

At least one of the N series phones has video out iirc.
    What I said was more about making sure the rom is working as a starting point, otherwise you could be trying to get a broken rom working with an emu you're unfamiliar with.

Spoiler warning: