Thread: I think I really screwed up my comp...

Nmaster Guest

Default I think I really screwed up my comp...

Ok, so I had this old computer of mine. It's a Pakerd Bell, pentium 1. So anyways, I was trying to get to the memory slots in the computer, but all these computer cables were in the way (the cables that connect to the harddrive, floppy, and cdrom) so I unplugged them from the mother board to get to the memory, so I could steal one to see if it worked on my new computer... it didn't, so I put it back. The only problem is now the cables that I unplugged from the motherboard. I can only find 2 slots to put the cables in, and there are three cables, and to make it worse, one of the slots will only fit the floppy drive cord. So now I only have 1 slot that I can see to fit both the harddrive, and the cdrom. I know something isn't right, because they were all plugged in before. So I know this is sorta odd, but and help would be gratefull. :\

Thanks

so what did you already plugged in?
    meh

Nmaster Guest

Well, I had the floppy drive plugged in, and the harddrive at the moment. I really need all three in though, I can't run without a cdrom...

Thanks

I just opend my own computer and I see that all the three slots are all under each other.
    in the first slot I have the cd-rom plugged in.
    on the second I have the HD.
    And on the last one I have the floppy drive.

and there must be 3 slots on your mainboard ...it's not so big so I suggest that you must look very good.
    meh

Nmaster Guest

I'll look again, but I must have looked for hours before trying to find a third slot. The two slots that I did find where right next to each other..... I'll have to look again..

EDIT: Wow, I actually found it, it was really hidden under the metal and everything of the frame. I couldn't even see it to put it on, but I somehow managed to get it. Thanks for the help, my computer is working good now.

Thanks

I knew that you not looked good because it must have a third slot
    meh

Nmaster Guest

I know it had to have a third spot, but I couldn't find it... It was litterally under the metal side, and I had such a hard time even getting it in.

Oh, I have another problem with my computer.... I'm trying to install RedHat Linux 9 on it, and in the begining it said I didn't have enough ram to do a graphic install (I have 32 ram in it) So I did a nongraphical, and I got through all the steps, and it was installing, but it froze at 20%. So I redid it, and I figured that maybe it had to do with the ram, so I took out everything that was graphical (X windows, and gnome.. stuff like that) Now when I do the install it doesn't even get to the install screen, right after it says writing the install image to the harddrive or whatever that window dissappears, and it stays at that blue screen. It freezes there.. but the weird part is that the cdrom drive is still reading the cd. So once I waited for an hour, and it just came up with an error. So now it freezes there every time. Could it be the memory? Do they even still sell the small old memory sticks?

Thanks

I think that you just don't enough ram if I where you I should put 128 mb ram at least in your computer or else 256 mb ram but 32 is very low(what OS are you running now?)
    meh

Nmaster Guest

Well it is an old computer. From early 90's, and it's a pentium 1. I'll try to find some ram to put in it.. do they actually sell the older ram anymore? Because my memory sticks are smaller than the newer ones... Oh and I was running Windows 95

Thanks

well I don't think that store's sell those anymore but you can always ask it.
    and I think that computer really needs a upgrade because the Latest operating systems run on a higher quality computers
    meh

Nmaster Guest

Yeah, but I don't want to waste all my money on upgradin and everything. I'm not trying to run on the latest operating system anyways. I just want to get Linux working, and get a web server up through the thing.

Thanks

Then don't install Linux Redhat 9 as thats the equivelent of WinXP/2k3.
    Download Redhat 6 or 7.

Nmaster Guest

Ah, I might try that. I have Redhat Linux 7.2 laying around here somewhere. I'll see how that works.