Thread: PCSX2 1.4.0 pixelated/edgy/blurry graphics

Thanks

Default PCSX2 1.4.0 pixelated/edgy/blurry graphics

Was trying to play Kingdom Hearts 1 and it was very blurry and not sharp. I keep trying to google this issue with PSX2 but I keep getting vague responses that aren't helpful or don't really affect the graphics. I need to ask personally about this with people that actually know what they're talking about. Any other necessary information needed and I'm willing to provide. I really don't know the best kind of settings for this emulator. It's the first time I'm using this.

NO I'm not going to use RetroArch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	70017
    Last edited by ZJrocket; 10th-December-2019 at 22:26.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I'm no expert about emulation but looking at the pic I think you're using software rendering, so it's probably native resolution.

F9 should toggle between hardware and software rendering.

Hotkey list if you need any others:
    https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Hotkeys

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I'm no expert about emulation but looking at the pic I think you're using software rendering, so it's probably native resolution.

F9 should toggle between hardware and software rendering.

Hotkey list if you need any others:
    https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Hotkeys
    Hmmm... That looks... better, but it is still blurry and the edges on Sora are still jagged. At least we're closer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

On the hotkeys page I linked to, scroll down and look at GSdx-specific combinations.
    I'd try de-interlacing it first but try some of the other stuff I guess.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I guess I'll be the ass. You realize you're playing a PS2 game, right? Its far lower resolution than you probably remember and those sharp pixels are only going to be even worse if you're playing it stretched to fit a wide screen.
    Here are pics of my actual PS2 running on an HD CRT thru Component video. Aside from your stretched screen, your emulation looks pretty authentic.

Name:	20191210_203829.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	70018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191210_203820_HDR.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	70019

So the sharper you make it, the more jagged those pixels on Sora are going to be. If you want it to look better different, you can find some video filter settings/plugins.
    I read this:
    https://blog.en.uptodown.com/pcsx2-tutorial-ps2/
    and the step labeled "Setting up the graphics" seems to help a bit in certain games.
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 11th-December-2019 at 02:06.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    I guess I'll be the ass. You realize you're playing a PS2 game, right? Its far lower resolution than you probably remember and those sharp pixels are only going to be even worse if you're playing it stretched to fit a wide screen.
    Here are pics of my actual PS2 running on an HD CRT thru Component video. Aside from your stretched screen, your emulation looks pretty authentic.

So the sharper you make it, the more jagged those pixels on Sora are going to be. If you want it to look better different, you can find some video filter settings/plugins.
    I read this:
    and the step labeled "Setting up the graphics" seems to help a bit in certain games.
    You're not being an ass, that was the perfectly legit response I needed and it helped. Thanks a lot.

My only other question is how do I fix this? :p

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	70020

I fixed everything else except this lol
    Last edited by ZJrocket; 11th-December-2019 at 07:35.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post

I read this:
    Increasing resolution will do away with most jaggies. You can turn on MSAA on top of that (enable HW hacks and configure it, 0(off) - x16 available). Either or both are better choices than FXAA if the GPU can handle them .

Quote Originally Posted by ZJrocket View Post
    You're not being an ass, that was the perfectly legit response I needed and it helped. Thanks a lot.

My only other question is how do I fix this? :p

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	70020

I fixed everything else except this lol
    Turn off FXAA if that's on. And set texture filtering to greyed (shown in the attachment, feel free to ignore the other settings shown). If that doesn't help you can try fiddling with shader effects.

Name:	Image1.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	70551

You can find a detailed description of all the settings on the PCSX2 website:
    https://pcsx2.net/config-guide.html#Gfx (This link shortcuts to the graphics section)
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 14th-December-2019 at 16:53.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

I do not see "Greyed", I only have Nearest and Bilinear (Forced) & (PS2). Am I missing something? Also now that I've tested this game and Star Wars Bounty Hunter a bit more, I've noticed some textures are completely missing or parts of the ground randomly lose a square of texture for a moment almost making them look like a square hole. Last thing I'd like to mention is disabling FXAA did not affect the line fracture in the menu, hate to say...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I misunderstood what you meant with the screenshot. I haven't updated PCSX2 in a while and the menus have changed; bilinear (PS2) should be the best option for texture filtering. I found a cheat fix on youtube for the menu problem. There's a download link in the youtube description but I've attached it here for convenience. To enable cheats extract the pnach to the cheats folder (default is \Documents\PCSX2\cheats\) and enable cheats in PCSX2 via the menu, System->'Enable Cheats'.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.