Thread: Help with Error 13 XBOX

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Help with Error 13 XBOX

So I was nodding my original Xbox and I had error number 13 please guys help

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dash-update found on most new Xbox games. Be sure to unplug your Ethernet cable before you do so.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dash-update found on most new Xbox games. Be sure to unplug your Ethernet cable before you do so.
    Hey thx for reply
    But I live in Iraq I can't buy an original disc can I use a back up and burn it to a DVD and use it

Thanks
    EP Points

No not unless the Xbox is already modded - if it is not modded it will only run MS signed discs ie. original Xbox games' discs. However it is worth trying cold booting an installer disc like AID (Auto Installer Deluxe) or HeXEn (Heimdall's Xbox Engineering disc). That must be burned to DVD-R, preferably using ImgBurn at default settings: "Write image file to disc".

How were you trying to mod it? Softmod, chip or TSOP? I'd guess a softmod and if so you must have been using an MS original disc and one correct for your region. If you were not there is the cause of your problem.

So, if it was a softmod attempt, what exploit/installer were you using ie. Splinter Cell, 007 AUF, Mechassault, TH4 with Softmod Installer Deluxe (SID) or Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool? Both those installer packages include the exploits and the installer. In fact Rocky5's includes TH4 (Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4) which is not provided in any other package as far as I know.

At what point in the process did the softmod fail?

If it is a bad softmod attempt then the reinstall of the MS dash cold booting an original game disc with a dashupdate included can leave behind remains of the earlier softmod. This can interfere with new attempts at softmodding. You must remove the existing exploit/installer game saves and freshly reinstall them. Even then it might not work.

If that happens then you should try using a different exploit ie. if you used Splinter Cell previously use 007 AUF instead and preferably a different installer too.

One important thing is to get the eeprom from the Xbox as a priority. If you can get an installer dash to load use the backup tool provided to get the eeprom and back it up to external storage ASAP.

The installer dash should also allow FTP access. That can be unreliable but you can use it to back up the eeprom to PC and gives you other modding options if softmodding does not work.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 29th-November-2019 at 13:21.

Thanks
    EP Points

It was already modded but it was a bad dashboard that didn't even let me access anything so I tried to reinstall the soft mode using the Rocky5 tool but it rebooted and gave me error no 16

Thanks
    EP Points

But how was it modded originally and what with? Can you describe what, exactly, was wrong with the old dashboard and what it was, if you know ie. UnleashX, XBMC, EvoX, Avalaunch ?

Are you sure it is a softmod? What R5 SM tool option did you use because, usually, using the update old softmod options should have worked without issue as it replaces everything with fresh files. It was designed to be compatible with all Xbox versions/kernels.

If you've somehow got it back from error 16 to error 13 you were lucky. Error 16 is not fatal but it makes things much more difficult to fix. The thing is if you get errors 13 or 14 never disconnect the Xbox from the power supply. If you do the clock capacitor discharges and, depending on age, that can be reduced to just few hours and that's when you get error 16.

If there was/is still a softmod on the machine and it is just the dashboard that is stuffed cold booting Rocky5's extras or another disc like AID or HeXEn, on DVD-R media as described earlier, could still work.

So try that. Don't do anything else, yet.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

You can fix using a PC with an IDE connection and CD/DVD drive and this rescue disk. This is a CD image. There are ways to do this from USB, but I haven't tried it. This should fix the dash and install an old version soft mod. You can always restore the Xbox to stock once you've fixed the dash.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. You'll need XBOXHDM and to watch or read a tut on how to hotswap.

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/xboxhdm
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 30th-November-2019 at 17:03.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    You can fix using a PC with an IDE connection and CD/DVD drive and this rescue disk. This is a CD image. There are ways to do this from USB, but I haven't tried it. This should fix the dash and install an old version soft mod. You can always restore the Xbox to stock once you've fixed the dash.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. You'll need XBOXHDM and to watch or read a tut on how to hotswap.

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/xboxhdm
    I'm so sorry and thank you very much but what's an IDE

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey I just found out that my Xbox is still reading the disc's first before the error numper 16 isn't that odd cuz what ik that it should check the clock before reading any disc's anyway if it reads the disc first I can use hexen to fix it it right?

Thanks
    EP Points

Should be able to do it with that or, as said, an AID disc.

Might be worth posting screen shots of your C:/ and E:/ drive contents before doing this because, AFAIK, if you get error 16 you should not be able to cold boot anything and certainly not a non-game disc. But there is something niggling at the back of my mind that Rocky5 may have put in some safety nets for such circumstances but you'll have to check his YT video tutorials and any readme which came his Softmodding Tool package for further information.

If it is not because of that either the softmod has just a damaged dashboard and the softmod is still working (it could not boot a HeXEn disc if it was not) or it is not a softmod. If it is not a softmodded but hardmodded then fixing it is easy but you do HAVE to use the correct install options.

If you used R5's SoftModding Tool and it is chipped or TSOPed that might well explain the problems you've had. So check the Xbox case screws - if the case has been opened then that was for a reason and chipping is one possible explanation. Only by opening it up will you know for sure.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you very much it turned out that the previous owner had changed the name xbox dashboard.xbe to box dashboard.xbe so that's the problem thank you so much for your help

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ALI_AL-JAMAAI For This Useful Post: