Page 80 of 268 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980818283848590130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 4007

Thread: The Oct 2019 - Oct 2021 Out?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    So I installed Linux Mint on the Laptop. Under Win10 it was constantly freezing whilst shit was going on in the background (programs starting, trying to update etc). It's like a totally different machine under Mint. I click on things and they open more or less straight away, not five minutes later. I'm still finding my way around, but I don't regret ditching Win10.
    You should try out Lubuntu too, it uses about 0% resources to run and is lightning fast plus generates virtually no heat. You can dual boot into it with Mint. Also, installing Wine is a good idea, it's currently more compatible with Windows than Windows.

One thing you'll notice using Mint if you use your laptop in bed is that it generates very little heat to run, your hardware is in heaven compared to Windows and will have a much longer lifespan. It instantly rejuvenates old computers and your PC would thank you every day for running Mint. If you really want to give an old PC a maximum performance boost under heavenly conditions for your hardware you can run Lubuntu. You don't have to get rid of Mint, they can both be installed as a dual boot option.
    Last edited by Till; 13th-July-2020 at 08:51.
    Free beer for everyone! --> How to upload files as ROM patches.

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    So I installed Linux Mint on the Laptop. Under Win10 it was constantly freezing whilst shit was going on in the background (programs starting, trying to update etc). It's like a totally different machine under Mint. I click on things and they open more or less straight away, not five minutes later. I'm still finding my way around, but I don't regret ditching Win10.
    Win10 on my 1.65GHz laptop doesn't act like that, I don't get freezes even when I'm torrenting + transferring files to ext HDD and browsing. But yeah finding stuff after being on 7 for so long was pissing me off for months.
    There was an update I got fairly recently that reinstalled onedrive

How old is this PC and how much ram does it have?

Spoiler warning:

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dill the Grey View Post
    You should try out Lubuntu too, it uses about 0% resources to run and is lightning fast plus generates virtually no heat. You can dual boot into it with Mint. Also, installing Wine is a good idea, it's currently more compatible with Windows than Windows.

One thing you'll notice using Mint if you use your laptop in bed is that it generates very little heat to run, your hardware is in heaven compared to Windows and will have a much longer lifespan. It instantly rejuvenates old computers and your PC would thank you every day for running Mint. If you really want to give an old PC a maximum performance boost under heavenly conditions for your hardware you can run Lubuntu. You don't have to get rid of Mint, they can both be installed as a dual boot option.
    I've tried different versions of Linux in the past, Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, Puppy, but always gone back to Windows. Mint isn't a million miles away from a Windows set-up, so it makes the transition easier. I might try Lubuntu on VM first.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Win10 on my 1.65GHz laptop doesn't act like that, I don't get freezes even when I'm torrenting + transferring files to ext HDD and browsing. But yeah finding stuff after being on 7 for so long was pissing me off for months.
    There was an update I got fairly recently that reinstalled onedrive

How old is this PC and how much ram does it have?
    I can't remember when it was bought, probably 5 or 6 years ago and it wasn't that good then.

Edit:

Laptop spec:
    Intel Celeron CPU N3050 @ 1.60GHz 4GB RAM
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 13th-July-2020 at 19:38.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

@Jackhammer

Mint is full-featured and less bare-bones than Lubuntu, you might not like how over-simplistic Lubuntu is. Mint is the best Linux distro, if you want to squeeze out maximum performance on a Debian-based distro Lubuntu is at your disposal. Since it's so lightweight, Lubuntu is a good choice for a minimalistic virtual machine anyway.

reductio ad absurdum

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

@Jackhammer

Mint is full-featured and less bare-bones than Lubuntu, you might not like how over-simplistic Lubuntu is. Mint is the best Linux distro, if you want to squeeze out maximum performance on a Debian-based distro Lubuntu is at your disposal. Since it's so lightweight, Lubuntu is a good choice for a minimalistic virtual machine anyway.
    I had a look at a few YouTube videos of Lubuntu and it seems very basic. Mint seems to be working well so I'll stick with that for now. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So I decided to test my new PC on ethernet, I'm getting ~300 mbps download and ~500 upload.

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks
    EP Points

So I decided to test my new PC on ethernet, I'm getting ~300 mbps download and ~500 upload.

I wish I get speeds like that. My DSL is unbearably slow. I have tried various different distros of Linux. Staring with Suse was not a good idea. I didn't mind Linux Mint though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

How's ye olde RE4 treating you DL?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    How's ye olde RE4 treating you DL?
    Badly. Haven't played this for quite some time and I suck
    Up to the Krauser fight now but maybe I should give it a break...

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh that stupid knife fight

It was neat the first time around but after all these releases on nearly a dozen systems now they should just give you the option to skip it if you so desire.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hows everyone?
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Oh that stupid knife fight

It was neat the first time around but after all these releases on nearly a dozen systems now they should just give you the option to skip it if you so desire.
    I didn't mean the qte fight, it's the proper boss fight where you can hit him with all your ammo (including rpg) but he doesn't die. But if you can get him into stun lock with the knife he dies quickly, trick is getting him into the stun lock...dunno if I'm capable of doing that now it might take numerous deaths

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I didn't mean the qte fight, it's the proper boss fight where you can hit him with all your ammo (including rpg) but he doesn't die. But if you can get him into stun lock with the knife he dies quickly, trick is getting him into the stun lock...dunno if I'm capable of doing that now it might take numerous deaths
    Oh that fight. On the roof I just use the Killer 7 and shoot him in the foot under his arm shield thing (stuns him) and then bam in the head. Takes a few times but you can take him down in seconds.

Not saying it's easy, takes a bit of practise.