Thread: Does it worth to buy an X360 in 2019 to mod it?

Thanks

Default Does it worth to buy an X360 in 2019 to mod it?

Hello,
    this is Davide

I'm posting today to ask some info about the Xbox 360.
    I'm trying to build my Retrogame catalog, starting from VCS2600 to (ideally) the first X-Box.

I have access to different systems: the main one will be a Nvidia Shield TV, but I have also a Wii U that I think I will mod in future and a PC (an old I3 of 2010).

I understood that the Shield can emulate up to PSP and Dreamcast.
    GameCube also, but for this I will use the Wii U once I will mod it.

For the PS2, the only option I have is PC, I tried the one I have and it works fine.

The only problem is the first Xbox, I chosen a small catalog of games from its library but then I faced the fact that it's almost impossible to emulate on a Windows PC.
    I gave up most of the games but there is one I really can't give up: Panzer Dragoon Orta.

The conclusion was that my PC (and any other) can't do it and that the best (and cheapest) option to access it is the Xbox 360, that can also be modded.
    I know that some versions of the console have an enough large HDD and it allows to access also other emulation (up to N64 or first PSX), so it would ease the charge of stuff on the Nvidia Shield..

I would buy it, but I was scared about the story of the Red Ring of the Death, I understood that the console sooner or later is fated to die. (sooner than expected anyway)

So, my questions are:
    Is there any way to decently emulate Panzer Dragoon Orta on a PC?

Else, I would buy an X360..
    In that case, is there a version that is not fated to die in few years for the Red Ring of Death? (I don't know, maybe the last one released.. the E Model)?
    If so, is this model easy to mod?
    What are the internal storage amount options available with this version?
    If the Console is modded, is it still capable to emulate the first Xbox games?

I'm asking this because for example I heard that for Xbox One you should pay an account as Developer and loose access to Retail Games, so for me the One is an expansive and disadvantageous option.

What I mean is that if I buy it, it will be my fourth device with this purpouse, so my objective is to have not any kind of renunciation in that case.

Thank you in advance for your time!
    Davide
    Last edited by Diam.Antaeres; 3rd-September-2019 at 09:38.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,299 Times in 1,164 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Diam.Antaeres View Post
    I would buy it, but I was scared about the story of the Red Ring of the Death, I understood that the console sooner or later is fated to die. (sooner than expected anyway)
    This is mainly an issue with the launch models, the Xenon and Zephyr. Avoid those like the plague. By the time they got up to the Falcon the fail rates weren't problematic, the Jasper is actually good, and the Slim models are good too.
    If you're going to local shops for the system, you can glance at the power socket to identify the model:

If so, is this model easy to mod?
    From the good systems I think the Jasper has the most modding options, the Trinity has some acceptable options, and the Corona isn't the best for modding. Keyword there, think. I haven't modded any 360's, I'm just reposting some hearsay which I may be misremembering. Hopefully somebody pops in with some better opinions.

What are the internal storage amount options available with this version?
    You can expand the HD on every 360 model. They just use laptop drives in a useless enclosure. I think the max official size is 320GB, but I've heard of people slapping 2TB in there. Going over the official limit might get you banned from Xbox Live (who cares...).

If the Console is modded, is it still capable to emulate the first Xbox games?
    Yes.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Buy an Xbox One and buy PDO.
    At the moment that would be the most reliable option with the best display resolution. The console isn't expensive, even brand new the S is much cheaper than the PS4. Used consoles aren't a huge jump in price from the best 360 models. Only bad thing about that is there isn't a huge amount of original Xbox games playable on that console, but there are loads of 360 titles as well.

Of course if you're going to buy PDO physical anyway just get an original Xbox console and mod it. Best compatibility for Xbox games

Modding a 360 isn't as easy as putting CFW on a PS3, or modding a Wii U. The emulation on 360 isn't the greatest anyway, even M$ has admitted that in recent years it was plagued with issues due to hardware limitations.

Spoiler warning: