Thread: PS3 game pad suddenly not working on emulators, how to fix it?

Thanks

Default PS3 game pad suddenly not working on emulators, how to fix it?

I have already gotten my PS3 game pad to run on a PC and emulator before but all of a sudden the game pad is not recognized by the emulators. Windows recognizes the game pad since it is shown in the list of devices and drivers, and it says that it is working properly, and I also tried using the game pad on a PS3 and it works properly. I even have the motioninjoy driver installed in my PC, and despite all of this, the game pad does not work on the emulators, what is causing this problem?
    Last edited by Jiang Jinn; 7th-August-2019 at 06:16.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I don't know what causes it but I've seen this issue mentioned before.
    I wouldn't be using DS3 controller for things other than PS3 myself, these controllers definitely aren't easy to replace now. Better (easier to replace and cheaper) option is Xbox 360 controller.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I don't know what causes it but I've seen this issue mentioned before.
    I wouldn't be using DS3 controller for things other than PS3 myself, these controllers definitely aren't easy to replace now. Better (easier to replace and cheaper) option is Xbox 360 controller.
    Windows says that the device is working properly, but that is only because the device is recognized. It does not automatically mean that it will work because when I ran the troubleshooter, the error it identified was that the PS3 controller is a USB 2.0 device which means that it will not run on a USB 3.0 socket, and unlike other USB 2.0 devices it is not designed for backward compatibility. The problem is, my USB 2.0 sockets were recently damaged in an accident and I changed them to USB 3.0 sockets and interface cards and this is the time that the error started happening. Is there a driver I can download that will make the USB 3.0 sockets compatible with a USB 2.0 device?
    Last edited by Jiang Jinn; 7th-August-2019 at 06:59.

Thanks
    EP Points

USB 2.0 device should work on a USB 3.0 socket. USB 3.0 has additional wires but the wires needed for USB 2.0 functionality are the same.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

USB 2.0 device should work on a USB 3.0 socket. USB 3.0 has additional wires but the wires needed for USB 2.0 functionality are the same.
    Does this apply to all USB 2.0 devices including the PS3 game pad?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jiang Jinn View Post
    Does this apply to all USB 2.0 devices including the PS3 game pad?
    It shouldn't matter what device. Standards are standards.

Edit:
    Your issue is more likely to be related to software hijacking your settings, or software (emus) resetting themselves for some reason, deleting settings or whatever.
    Like I said I don't know what has caused your problem but I've seen it mentioned before.

I could never be bothered being serious about emulating on PC.

Edit2:
    Did some reading, looks like there are other options besides motioninjoy...
    ScpToolkit
    Better DS3
    Last edited by deadlegion; 7th-August-2019 at 07:26.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

It shouldn't matter what device. Standards are standards.

Edit:
    Your issue is more likely to be related to software hijacking your settings, or software (emus) resetting themselves for some reason, deleting settings or whatever.
    Like I said I don't know what has caused your problem but I've seen it mentioned before.

I could never be bothered being serious about emulating on PC.

Edit2:
    Did some reading, looks like there are other options besides motioninjoy...
    ScpToolkit
    Better DS3
    I have already fixed the problem which is not with the USB 2.0 interface of the PS3 game pad or the USB 3.0 sockets of the PC, but instead the motioninjoy web installer. When I changed my USB interface cards and sockets to USB 3.0 after an accident damaged my USB 2.0 sockets, the driver for the game pad was erased in a glitch. When I reinstalled the motioninjoy driver to make the game pad run again, the driver was installed and listed in the list of programs but its web installer did not download the program files from the official website because when I checked the list of drivers from the device manager, it was not there. I then tried to do the installation manually by opening the DS3_tool executable file but when it opened it redirected to various spam websites instead of going to the official website and downloading the program files, which means that the motioninjoy system has been hacked by spammers and rendered inoperable, so I instead downloaded the SCP driver since it has the program files packaged in a compressed .RAR file instead of requiring the use of a web installer which can be hacked. I also downloaded the Microsoft Direct X driver software from the Microsoft official website to aid the operation of the SCP driver and prevent errors.

Thanks
    EP Points

So you fixed your problem by using ScpToolkit?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

So you fixed your problem by using ScpToolkit?
    Yes, it worked, because unlike the motioninjoy driver which has a built in web installer that can be hacked, all the program files for the SCP driver are stored in a compressed .RAR file that can be downloaded from various websites.