Thread: putting games on my softmodded xbox

Thanks

Question putting games on my softmodded xbox

hi everyone,
    first of ; sorry if there already was a tread regarding this topic.

i'm a big noob and i have some questions that i hope some of you fine gents will be able to answer. so i just made a working xbox out of 3 broken ones and was able to do the softmod using te rockyV method.
    but now: i 've visted arcadepunks and seen a million or so files regarding rompacks. i don't understand any of this.
    the mission is to make the xbox in to a emulator that plays as many games as possible. on the one hand arcade games and on the other nintendo games and poosibly ps 1 games.
    is this possible? and how do i recognize what files i want and what files i don't need.
    thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

There is something called CoinOps which includes arcade, retro and some PS1 stuff. If you find a whole version of this (there are versions without games/roms), you are ready to go. Maybe ArcadePunks got what you need.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cioraninvertido View Post
    There is something called CoinOps which includes arcade, retro and some PS1 stuff. If you find a whole version of this (there are versions without games/roms), you are ready to go. Maybe ArcadePunks got what you need.
    Ok, i was already browsing that site, but the problem is that iT is so overwhelmingly gigantic.. i Will try to buckle up and search for the coinops , any way,
    I had everything ready for the softmod and after putting everything Toghetzr and loading the Linux save on my splinter cell game, my Xbox froze and the softmod wont start sooo.. back to square one, its really starting to annoy me by now

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

So you haven't finished softmodding your system yet? I've seen Xboxes repeatedly freeze when trying to load up that Linux save, my solution was to just boot up one of the alternate games. So 007 or Mechwarrior. Dunno how or why that worked, but I've got all 3 games laying around so it was easy for me.

When it came to loading up retro emulators I wasn't a fan of all-in-one solutions like Retroarch or whatever. Instead I just crtl-f'ed on our Xbox master list:
    https://www.epforums.org/showthread....ox-Master-List

And searched for the system I wanted, and picked out the most recent emulators for it and tried them out. Emulators won't come with roms normally, maybe some of the ones you'll find posted on the master list might, but you'll probably need to download the corresponding rom sets:
    https://www.epforums.org/showthread....ks-Master-List
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Thanks sir, i Will see how far i get with this. Solid information so ok, Will have to get my hands on one of the other games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes but make sure you get the correct version - with Splinter Cell all known versions of the game can be used but others: 007 AUF, MechAssault and the, often forgotten, Tony Hawks 4 may require a very specific version original disc ID.

Somewhere I have that info but I can not find it at the moment and no online softmod guide I've found seems to include that, rather important, detail.

Just found this:-

"The original version of 007: Agent Under Fire or the Platinum Hits AUF with the Serial #: 1448517 (NOT 1448527)

MechAssault with the Serial #: MS02301L on the inner ring of the game CD."

Sounds right to me. My PAL version of 007 AUF is a bog standard original version and that works (no idea about the Platinum Hits version as I've never used it). My MechAssault version shows that same serial number too.

Never used it myself but I think TH4 works with any version but, like Splinter Cell, you must use the appropriate regionally correct softmod installer file version ie. PAL for a PAL console and NTSC for a NTSC one.

Most softmod packages come with SC PAL/NTSC, 007 AUF and MechAssault installer file but only Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool includes the Tony Hawks 4 PAL/NTSC ones and a region free version. I assume that works with either however it could also mean there is a region free TH4 game version too. So if you do use TH4 it would be advisable to research that to be certain.

One of the reasons Splinter Cell does not work can be because the Xbox was previously softmodded using Splinter Cell and there are left overs which were not removed when the console was reverted to retail state. It can also be that you installed the wrong regional exploit too.

I've had the former happen myself and indeed as Ragnar suggested using an alternative exploitable game like 007 AUF/MA/TH4 did fix the problem.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 28th-June-2019 at 13:03.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAbysmalDark For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I ll see what i can get my hands on, for now the splintercell seems impossible. IT bugs the living hell out of me but hey... i can tell you that iT wasnt previously modded Cause iT was mine for al these years. But i Will try iT again with one of the other exploitable games. Oh yeah and my system is pal, my game is pal and the file i injected was pal. So im baffled

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisaurus View Post
    I ll see what i can get my hands on, for now the splintercell seems impossible. IT bugs the living hell out of me but hey... i can tell you that iT wasnt previously modded Cause iT was mine for al these years. But i Will try iT again with one of the other exploitable games. Oh yeah and my system is pal, my game is pal and the file i injected was pal. So im baffled
    Splinter Cell and Mechassault aren't particularly rare irl (garage sales & charity shops), although the latter usually has some online price gouging.
    Splinter Cell shouldn't be worth much even online but if it has the bonus disc included it'll be a little more.

I have multiple copies of both (only 1 SC bonus disc though)...I'm in Australia.

007 AUF I don't see much tbh (or maybe I just don't notice it) but it isn't really worth anything iirc. Tony Hawks I have no idea, not even sure if I have it or not

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

It is unusual for SC not to work if it is a genuinely retail state Xbox.

You are/were using an authentic original PAL version of the game I hope. I've used three different PAL ones (original release, Classic and one that came bundled with my first Xbox) all work.

You should have two saves - the exploit and the, larger, installer. How did you get the saves to the Xbox?

Flash drives can be very, very weird when used with the Xbox and I've had some that only transferred some files before going missing. It is rare when transferring stuff from a flash drive to the Xbox but it does happen. So, in Memory/Game Saves check the number of blocks used by the installer save is the same as that shown on the flash drive or other transfer device you used.

You could try again with SC but I'd suggest removing everything you've already done and trying from scratch with a different installer package like Rocky5's XST or SID 5.11.

Thanks

Hi Guys, for the moment i am on vacation, so i cant get hands on with the Xbox, but i am positive that it is an original pal copy of splinter cell. I’m also sure that the Xbox had no previous hard or soft mods. I use a female USB to Xbox Cable and an old USB flashdrive.
    The flashdrive works though. First i tried several and this one gave the correct message and formated the drive to the fatx state that is needed. I have not formated iT when i put iT in the pc afterwards so it Remains in the required format. The first mod ive tried was this one:
    https://www.instructables.com/id/The...Original-XBOX/
    But it meant putting in all the files in by hand in the explorer360. I ve done this but then nothing appeared as a save state.
    Then i erased everything from my Xbox and from my USB flashdrive. I’started fresh. This time however I used this tutoreal
    https://youtu.be/lW6QsGXTrFQ
    This is the Rocky V method.
    This time everything works as planned . But when i load the savefile titled Linux, the screen turns black and the ejectbutton ring colour is red. ( not flashing or something but solid red)

Thanks
    EP Points

It would be better to use Rocky5's own tutorials but I can not see anything wrong with that second alternative YT one. If you followed that and everything was downloaded from reputable sources and installed as shown it should work................hmmmmmm.

One thing is at the back of my mind. I recall that in the past it has been mentioned that you should use a standard definition (SD) cable type during a softmod.

If it is an all PAL system it will be likely you're using an AV Composite + SCART adapter or a full RGB SCART cable. You should be OK as that is all SD, but nowadays a lot of people are using HD converters, trancoders etc with HDMI adapters.

If you are doing something like that try a direct Xbox SD cable connection to the TV instead, if possible.

That is a long shot and if it is not that then there's not much choice left except to try one of the other exploits/installers instead.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 30th-June-2019 at 15:48. Reason: typo

Thanks

Aha, your longshot might Just be the solution... i Will try when back at home, cause i was indeed using a hd component cable